“The Best of the Best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Mission Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Old Mission Inn
You added Old Mission Inn to your Saves list
18599 Mission Rd, Traverse City, MI 49686   |
Ranked #6 of 20 Traverse City B&B and Inns
okemos
“The Best of the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had the privilege of staying at the Old Mission Inn in the beginning of the fall. The weather was gorgeous and my room was so incredibly charming. And the best part of my visit was the host and hostess (whose name I can't recall) who were so incredibly gracious. I was very interested in the history and they filled me in on all the details. I was especially blessed to take a wonderful walk with one of the owner's and we had a conversation which I will always cherish.

The food was great, the people who were staying there were all very warm and it was my home away from home. I can't wait to return again.

Thank you so much for a wonderful retreat.

Room Tip: There was a room in the far left corner with it's own bathroom that was especially wonderful. A...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lake Orion, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

What a great place for anyone looking for a relaxing retreat with historical charm and breathtaking scenery. My husband and I stayed in the Cherry Tree Suite for two nights. Very comfortable queen bed, kitchen with modern appliances, eating area, and a sitting room with a huge picture window overlooking the bay. The suite has its own private area on the huge front porch with rocking chairs and table. (Think Grand Hotel without the crowds and cost.) Angie and Bruce were so accommodating without being intrusive. We could tell that they have put their heart and soul into renovating the Inn back to its original 1860's charm. (But with all the modern day creature comforts.) Quiet location at the top of the peninsula, but within easy reach of all the Old Mission Wineries. The lighthouse and beach are just a short distance away. I can’t recommend this place enough.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We spent two nights and had a very nice stay at the Old Mission Inn. The Inn owners are incredibly passionate about the Inn and sharing its long and rich history with guests. They are helpful and caring and truly want you to have the best experience possible. If you're looking for 5 star accommodations and modern rooms this may not be your ideal location- however we found the rooms to be cozy and quaint and perfect for a nice getaway. The location is perfect especially if you are looking to tour the wineries of the area. Breakfast is cooked to order every morning with plenty of options and all you can eat. We would recommend the Inn to anyone looking for a getaway in a beautiful location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Royal Oak, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I were looking for somewhere to spend our 3rd anniversary, and I wanted to stay somewhere on the Old Mission Peninsula, away from touristy downtown Traverse City. This trip exceeded our expectations, and was one of the best we've ever taken, due in large part to the Old Mission Inn

The Inn is located on the gorgeous Old Mission Peninsula north of downtown Traverse City. The drive up the peninsula is filled with vineyards, cherry trees, sweeping hills, and unparalleled panoramic views of Lake Michigan.

When we arrived at the Inn, our first impression was that the building looked quite rustic (in a good way) and had a wonderful view of Lake Michigan from the giant front porch. One of the owners, Bruce, greeted us and gave us a quick tour of the place. They have accumulated tons of cool old artifacts that adds to the history (Old Mission is the oldest hotel in Michigan north of Grand Rapids). Bruce and his wife Angie bought the place several years back and have put blood, sweat, and tears into restoring it, which we quickly learned.

There are several rooms upstairs that were nice and quaint, but some of them shared a bathroom, which we didn't want. We stayed in the Cherry Tree room, which was located on the main level and had a private entrance to the front porch.

Our room was overall really charming and inviting. With a place like this, you shouldn't expect modern luxuries and shiny granite everywhere ... go stay at the tourist-ridden Grand Traverse if that's your cup of tea. Bruce and Angie have made every attempt to maintain the rustic charm of the inn, and that was clear in the Cherry Tree room, which had distressed hardwood floors, a nice kitchenette area, private bathroom, private bedroom, and large sitting area overlooking the front porch.

We did the wine dinner the first night at Chateau Chantal, which is a must-do. The meal was amazing and the views are some of the most incredible I've ever seen (think Napa with panoramic water views).

We came back and relaxed on the rocking chairs on the front porch for a while and drank some wine we had bought, then went to sleep. Perhaps my only complaint about the Old Mission was the bed. The mattress was a little too soft for me ... but I prefer a bit more firm mattress for my back, so this is often the case when I travel. I still slept pretty peacefully, so don't let this deter you from staying there.

The next day, we woke up and had breakfast (which is served from 8-10am). Bruce and Angie are super friendly and will sit down and chat with you (or leave you alone if that's your preference). The breakfasts at Old Mission were simple but good: eggs how you want them, your choice of meats and toast, oatmeal, and fresh fruit. On a side note, my wife and I are big-time foodies ... but gourmet fare would just feel out of place here. For those who complained about the food in other reviews, there are plenty of places on the peninsula to experience the talents of the local chefs.

Our first full day there we went hiking at Old Mission Point and found a great private beach, then walked across the street from the Old Mission Inn to the beach. There's a public beach within walking distance but we opted go to the beach at the empty lot directly across from the Inn...no-one seemed to mind. It was gorgeous. We had dinner at the Boathouse--pretty heavy food and pricey, but overall very good.

The following day, we visited several wineries--L. Mawby, Brys, and 2 Lads. All were awesome … we liked the first two best. We went to Chateau Chantal again for sunset (highly recommended). Then we went back to our room in the afternoon and hung out for a while. The yard at Old Mission Inn is spectacular. They have some of the biggest, most beautiful trees I've ever seen. I opted to lie on the hammock and read for a bit. Then, we hung out on the porch and another couple that was staying there joined us for a glass (ok, a couple bottles actually) of wine. We ended up going to dinner with them at the Peninsula, which was also very good.

That night, Bruce and Angie lit a bonfire, and a bunch of people who were staying there came and hung out. There was no shortage of great conversations with great people. To hear Angie talk about the Inn and all they went through is like listening to a proud mother talk about her child. These guys have really put their heart and soul into the place, and it shows. It's great to hear how passionate they are about it.

So ... if you're on the fence about staying here because of what someone else said, I'd say it depends on what type of person you are. If you're accustomed to staying at the Ritz; don't want to meet some great people; and demand luxurious linens and fancy furnishings, maybe it's not the best place for you.

But if you'd like to experience a beautiful, natural setting with tons of history; are open to something a little more rustic; and enjoy friendly, down-to-earth people, then check out the Old Mission Inn. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay. Old Mission Inn is a ways out, but a fabulous place. The history, view, and ambience of the Inn was lovely. We stayed in the Magnolia Room and it was perfect. The owners, Bruce and Angie were wonderful hosts. They gave us a recommendation to have dinner at Jolly Pumpkin and it was excellent. We took a tour of the area on our way as well. We will definetly return to Old Mission Inn!

• Stayed July 2012
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I like to take short vacations that are usually long weekends. It is places like this that make short trips worth while and memorable. Our Memorial Day weekend trip to the Traverse City area is one we will remember in large part to our stay here. A stay at the Holiday Inn would have been soon forgotten. The inn owners here do an exceptional job of taking care of their guests. The work that they have put into, and are continuing to do, on this 140 year old gem of a building is quite impressive. The location is beautiful and close to some great dining. The restaurant-style breakfast at the Inn is nice too. Cheers to Bruce and Angie. We will be back. Stay in a Suite if you can.

Room Tip: Stay in a Suite
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Pros:
- Exceptionally passionate inn owners
- Very clean
- Nice inn owners
- Amazing views and location

Cons:
- Faux fireplaces
- No common area
- Average breakfast
- Limited heating sources (baseboard & electric fireplaces only)
- Somewhat tacky decor (our room had cherub wallpaper border and decor)
- No cherry pie (I had read in other reviews that there would be cherry pie in the evenings, but I didn't experience that while there)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Mission Inn? Share your experiences!