Worst hotel/motel I have ever stayed in… My wife and I stayed in this Super 8 in Three Rivers Mi, for one night because we were in town for a funeral. Once we checked in and went to our room we should have just left, because the room was such a disappointment. However we were short on time, so we both looked at each other and said, “It’s just one night”. While changing our cloths so we could go to the funeral home, I need to sit down to put on my sox’s. I walked over to the recliner/chair to sit down and it “the chair” was so dirty & disgusting, my wife had to put a towel on it before I could sit down. Again we said, “It’s only for one night.” So once dressed we were off and did not return to the Super 8 in Three Rivers until after midnight. When we parked, my wife and I stayed in our vehicle and finished our cigarettes before going in. Yes we both smoke. After finishing our smokes, my wife and I went into our room and went to sleep. I did not get very much sleep that night because if felt like I had things crawling on me all night.
In the morning, my wife got into the shower and I went outside to have a cigarette. There were a few other guests out there smoking and they told me they were happy to see me, because they could not get back into the Super 8 because their room key would not work to let them back in the building. I let them in and got into my van, rolled down the windows and lit my cigarette. While having my smoke this little old lady came out that same door and started sweeping up around then entrance area. When she was done sweeping, she got her key out and tried the door. She tried and tried to get in without any luck. I was finished with my smoke by that time so I walked over and tried my key. No surprise, my key did not work either. So after about 10 tries with my key and hers, the door finally opened. When I walked into my room, my wife was extremely unhappy. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that while I was gone. The toilet plugged up and started running all over the floor. When she called the front desk, the owner Rem, told her he had no one there to fix it, but he would bring a plunger. A few minutes later there was a knock at the door. When my wife opened the door, there was no one there except the plunger sitting on the ground. So she looked down the hallway and there was this little man all most jogging down the hall away from the room. She was not happy, but she plunged the toilet and started cleaning up the floor in the bathroom herself. That’s when I walked in; of course she gave me a hard time for taking so long smoking my cigarette.
I explained to her that I, along with other guest and even the cleaning lady could not get back into the building because our keys would not work and then I got into the shower. Well, the water pressure in the shower was all most non existence. Of course it took forever to wash the soap & shampoo off because of the little stream of water that was trickling out of the shower head. Once done, it was time to get dressed. Again I needed to sit down to put my sox’s on, looking over at that disgusting chair with a towel covering it, I just couldn’t bring myself to sit in it. So I took a seat on the king size mattress that was not much higher off the ground then my ankles and started putting on my sox’s. While putting on my sox’s something on the bed sheet caught my eye. When I looked at what it was, I found two spots of blood on the sheet. The spots of blood were about two feet from the foot of the bed and when I pulled my sox on, I found out where the blood spots came from. I had a bit or bite’s on the calf of my leg.
Now I was extremely unhappy to say the least, so I pulled the bloody sheet off the bed, grabbed the plunger and went to the front desk. Rem, the owner was there at the front desk, so I put the bloody sheet and plunger on the desk and my wife and I started telling him how unhappy we were about our experience at his Super 8. Rem the owner was not very understanding… He even began to argue with my wife and me even though other guests were trying to check in and out. The argument began to get heated to the point that Rem, (the owner) told us, “there was nothing wrong with the door and I was using the key wrong”. I tried to explained to him that even his cleaning lady could not get in. Well come to find out, the little old cleaning lady is his wife. She came walking out and now we were arguing with both of them. They both were yelling at my wife and I saying, “They do not have bug, bed bugs or any other type of bugs and there is nothing wrong with the door and he even asked us if we expect them to call someone in just to fix the toilet!”
While the Super 8 husband and wife team were talking back and forth in their native tongue, Rem the owner slipped, and said in ENGLISH, “ The battery may need changing” referring to the door that would not open. At that point my wife and I had enough and demand we not be charged for our room. Of course it took a lot of more arguing with the Super 8 husband and wife team until finally Rem the owner agreed and gave us a receipt showing he did not charge us for the room. The original charge would have been $77.00.
We left the Super 8 motel in Three Rivers Mi, thinking it was just a bad experience and the nightmare was over. How wrong we were… Five days later while checking my bank statement I noticed a $150.00 charge from the Super 8 motel in Three Rivers Mi. I called Rem the owner of the Super8; of course he remembered who I was right away. When I asked him why he charged my credit card $150.00, he said, he did not charge me for the $77.00 for the room, but he did charge me $150.00 because he smelt smoke from cigarettes and that’s the charge to clean the room.
That’s right; they charge me $150.00 to clean a room my wife and I never smoked in! I doubt that room or any other room in that Super 8 in Three Rivers Mi, have ever been truly cleaned. I’m just wondering if that’s Super 8 and the entire Wyndham Hotel Group LLC, properties policy, when they have unhappy guests. (Charge them for something!)
I have contacted the Wyndham Group customer service center today 8/17/11seeking their help. Only time will tell if the nightmare continues.
“It’s only for one night.” How wrong we were.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.