“Always worth the trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thompsonville
Plymouth, Michigan
“Always worth the trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We've been coming to Crystal for 17+ years. It has never disappointed. It gets better every year with new attractions and activities for the family. Accommodations are expansive in choice for a wide array of family/group sizes. Golf is fantastic and the surrounding area provides endless opportunity to explore beautiful northern Michigan. You won't be disappointed!

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

just want you to know we had our stay last week and it was EXCEPTIONAL. I can not get over how every single person I dealt with from Reservations clear back in March to lifeguards, housekeeping, front desk, chairlift, EVERYONE was SO exceptionally nice and friendly. The whole resort always went out of their way to be accommodating. We went to the Poconos last year and never experienced anything like this - in fact it was quite rude and arrogant. We are from the Midwest,too, (Ohio) and you make us proud.
I read one review that said the lifeguards circling the pool did not make for a relaxing atmosphere. I, on the other hand, totally appreciated how serious they did their job and it made it MUCH more relaxing for me with 7 grandchildren in the pool to know they were paying close attention.
Bug spray is a definite item to pack and would like to see WiFi in the resort homes in the future. The activities for children were wonderful. Also, had adult children who loved the mountain biking but were a little frustrated they could only get 3 mountain bikes at a time and needed 4.
Absolutely loved getting tickets to slide and climb as part of summer package deal. It was very much appreciated that we were able to trade tickets for the Adventure Course (which none of our 7 grandchildren were big enough to do) for tickets to the Alpine Slide (which they could do with a parent). That never would've happened where we were at last year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Addison, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed at Crystal Mountain for four nights the last week of June. We stayed in a Hamlet room, four of us, myself, my husband and my 13 and 10 year old sons. The room was plenty big with a table and four chairs and a nice kitchen with decent size fridge and microwave, sink and cabinets. The resort is such a well kept place, all the buildings are alpine themed looking which makes it such a charming place. The Hamlet was right in the middle of the resort and it was a two minute walk to everything: pool, alpine slide, restaurants. We all loved the alpine slide and the pool. My son loved the adventure course with zip line and its right by the pool so you don't have to leave pool - they can go from pool to course and back as many times as they want. We had the Pure MIchigan plan which was great because we could ride slide and adventure course unlimited. My younger son also liked the daily craft and candy. We didn't notice any mosquitoes so I'm not sure if other visitors stayed at the places on top of the mountain but the Hamlet is near the entrance to resort.
We ordered sandwiches and pizza from Betsie's, just call ahead and place order and walk right across to get them, and they were generous sized portions. The Thistle was over priced and not that good, but the breakfast buffet at the Wild Tomatoe was delicious, didn't seem like the usual hotel brunches, great selection of items and all good.
We went to Sleeping Bear Dunes one day, about a 35 minute drive.
Overall we just loved this place, there is tons for the kids to do, pool was great for little ones with the zero depth side and older ones with basketball hoops and volleyball net. Great experience! Staff was very nice, especially the guys running the slide and the gals in the moutain zone and the pool house. Also the food at the beach grill was good, and try the ice cream!

Room Tip: Hamlet rooms are right in middle of everything and were plenty big for four of us. The bungalows aro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I live in Michigan and I really do love it but I have only gone "up north" a few times since I am not an avid skier, I have not visited any of the ski resorts. so when my husband had a day off we decided to pack the four kids and try out one these ski resorts in summer. I looked online and many of the resort rooms looked outdated. the three and half hour drive from detroit was short and easy and when we pulled up to the beautifully landscape resort we were pleasantly surprised. we rented a cottage and we were not disappointed. very nice and luxurious. housekeeping came everyday we were there. there was a full size kitchen as well. the staff at the resort were also very accommodating except for the front desk staff. I had purchased the pure Michigan package we had to wear these wrist bands the entire time ,my kids lost one of their bands at the pool ,which is great for the kids beautifully maintained and the kids do not get bored,I went to get it replaced and the lady at the front desk started to scream at me in front of my kids that these bands have value to them and i don't understand value and she went on to tell the other attendant at the front desk that she should replace the bands if I were to come again. my poor daughter was like mama what did we do wrong. I could have made a fuss there but chose not to since I know the value because I not her paid for my accommodations .
aside from the horrible front desk staff, our stay was great due to the other resort staff me members. from the bike rentals to chair lifts to the alpine coaster it was great. customer service is the key to a great hotel too bad this resort does not feel the same way. the front desk is representative of their resort and it seems crystal mountain missed the mark on that

• Stayed June 2014
Kalamazoo Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed at the Wintergreen condos for a golf package. We mentioned we had one in our group with knee problems, but still ended up climbing stairs to get to our condo, then more stairs to our extremely hot, 2nd floor loft bedroom. Condos are dated, but clean. Definitely just a place to crash, with no privacy between floors.

The mosquitos were so bad, that opening the car window for a second caused dozens of mosquitoes to enter. Food at Wild Tomato was all oversized, and my corn beef hash tasted mostly of clove and cinnamon. Ugh!

Staff at Wild Tomato was very friendly, but wish we had gone to Rosie's down the road.

The guys golfed and had a good time (lots of bug spray). The gals took off to TC for shopping. Not sure the gals will be back, but the guys were happy and that is what mattered on this particular week-end!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
spikeit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I attended the three day adult golf school in June. The facilities are top notch and the golf instructors great. We were at ease the very first day. This is a great value as you get three hours of instruction every morning of the school and then on course instruction for two days for six holes. Also included is 54 holes of golf at the two courses. We were enrolled as commuters and did not actually stay at Crystal Mountain so I cannot comment on their rooms, etc., however the facilities were beautiful and the staff we came in contact with were great.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My son and wife just had their wedding reception at Crystal Mountain. From the time we checked in til the time we left there wasn't one bad experience. The staff is fantastic, everyone of them is polite, happy, helpful and go out of their way to accommodate you. Numerous people that stayed at the resort were given upgrades for no extra charge. Julie and Tami were incharge of our reception and they both went above and beyond to make Steve and Sarah's day extra special. Thank you to everyone at Crystal Mountain for this wonderful experience I would reccomend this to anyone thinking of having a wedding reception there. We also had the rehersal dinner there in the Pavillion Tent, I would highly reccomend this as well. Beautiful place, great times and exceptional staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Crystal Mountain? Share your experiences!