“From "Oh my" to "OK!"” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Stevensville
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“From "Oh my" to "OK!"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

We were just taking a weekend getaway and wanted someplace to spend the night close to where we were planning on having dinner. We were a bit dubious about booking here as some of the reviews were pretty bad. We decided to chance it as some of the more recent reviews were more positive remarks. When we pulled in to the office area to check in we were worried that we had made a mistake. However, when we got to our room we were most pleasantly surprised; it was spacious, clean, everything worked and it was inviting. The bed was comfortable; there were plenty of channels available on the TV, the in-room climate control was easy to use and effective. It appears that the place is being refurbished - externally there's a ways to go, but our room was just fine. If you're looking for the "Ritz" skip it; if you're looking for an economical place to spend a comfortable night or two, I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 404 which was in the back, away from the road. No traffic noise at all.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Laura G, Manager at Super 8 Stevensville, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Thank you, We plan to do exterior work in the Spring, Fresh Paint and landscaping

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Stevensville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My family stayed at Super 8 hotel on a Fri. and Sat. night. The section we stayed in was recently renovated by new owners. The rooms were nice and clean, the linen & towels appeared to be clean, the air conditioner worked properly. The service was excellent. The manager and staff worked hard to see that our family was happy and that our needs were meet. We also used the banquet facility, it was awesome for our needs. One down side was the indoor pool was out of service but there was an outdoor pool that servered the family just as well. The location is excellent. Near Meijer, gas stations, restaurants etc.... I really have nothing bad to say about our stay, we had a wonderful time. Thank you Super 8!!!

Room Tip: I only stayed in the recentely renovated rooms and they were nice, with very nice decor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

First the positives--the price--$70 for a Sunday night over labor day weekend--was very good. All of the staff we met were very courteous to my entire family (included young son and a teenager). A staff person (maybe the owner?) brought his pet bird to breakfast, and the kids really enjoyed it.
The negatives--I have to agree with a lot of the reviews about the cleanliness issues. The hallway floors were dirty. A dust ruffle had red stain on it (ketchup? BBQ sauce? blood?). The tray under ice bucket had not been cleaned in a while. An "Unidentified fuzzy substance" (my husband's description) was in the speaker grooves of clock radio, which we could not get to work. A big chunk of plaster was hanging from the outside wall by the front office, and this area also needed paint. A hallway door had gouges in it. The hallways needed painting. The indoor pool was closed for maintenance. Given all of the building issues, the interior of the room (room 410, in conference center building) was surprisingly modern and nice. A lot of the needed fixes/repairs would be easy for a careful staff person to spot, and not particularly expensive or time consuming to address. See my review for the Sawyer, MI Super 8, which was cleaner much better maintained. The quality difference between these two facilities, which are just a few miles apart, is so great that it is surprising that they are part of the same chain.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Frankly, I cant believe how rude some people are
What ever happened to old fashioned chilvary?
The staff went out of their way to treat my kids and I with the utmost respect
Our room was clean and smelled fresh and we had extra towells and toiletry items .
My little boy (11) had a very rare headache the following day ,caused by the sun i believe and the staff even showed concern and told me if i wanted to go on to the beach they would keep their eye on him (OF COURSE I REFUSED but it was very kind)

The shower had really hot water which i was concerned for the little ones (5 and 6) of getting scalded. They didnt even care if they missed the Beach because of his sun headache , they loved the pool!
I took their card because i definitely WILL BE BACK!!

Room Tip: JUST ASK for one of the newly remodeled rooms,ASK!
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

This place is awfull! The rooms are dirty, I mean FILTHY!!! There are dust bunnies everywhere and food smears all over the walls the room also has dingy linens... Why do an all white bed when the white looks like it's been washed in rusty water? The WiFi is a joke and the breakfast I wouldn't touch. I saw the desk person make coffee in the bathroom from the bathroom sink. DISGUSTING..... This is not a place for children waterbugs on the floor and window sills. The outdoor pool area smells like a garbage dump and the bathrooms by the pool smell like urine. The owners of this business should be ashamed. I forgot to mention they ran out of towels! How does that happen? Please plan your trip ahead do not stay here and don't be fooled by super 8 online this is the same nasty hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Portage, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

My husband and I made reservations online for Super 8 in Stevensville, MI and this is the motel we got cuz they are transforming to make it a Super 8. We got here and there was no reservation called to this motel from the online people that took it from us, so the guy that was behind the counter gave us the room for $40.00 a nite, which was a really good deal, we thought. Til we got to the room and discovered the bathroom wasn't cleaned and the floor wasn't vaccumed, it smelled musty, so we asked for our money back and they did that for us. Glad to have gone down the road and found the Comfort Suites motel that had a room, yes we paid a lil more but it was a very nice place to stay!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Has anyone stayed here lately? I understand it's under new ownership, has undergone some degree of renovation and is now called the Stevensville Inn. Any comments about this motel? I have not stayed here. I only completed the survey in order to make my post. Thanks.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Stevensville? Share your experiences!