“A Few Things Rubbed Me the Wrong Way” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Michigan
“A Few Things Rubbed Me the Wrong Way”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western Sterling Inn on a solo visit for one night. The location is perfect for where I needed to be. There are plenty of shops and restaurants in the surrounding area. When I checked in I was advised to pull around to a specific entrance, and when I did I found that this was the area where employees spent their breaks smoking. I'm a non-smoker, and having had to sign a paper at the front desk affirming that I understood that this hotel was entirely non-smoking I resented having to wade through the cloud of smoke to get inside.

I did not use the water park feature of the hotel at all. I did decide to order "room service" from the attached Loon River Cafe (I think that was the name). I had read some poor reviews, but it was late, I was alone and hungry. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a Southwest Pork Salad. I was wrong. The pork was what I consider inedible. It tasted old or "off" - not fresh! I was afraid to eat it in the end. Had I been sitting in the restaurant I would have sent it back to the kitchen, but since it had been delivered and I had paid for it already, I just left it alone. I was mad at myself for being too lazy to go out and choose something I'd have loved and that would have cost a lot less. I can't recommend the restaurant at all.

The room was ok for my needs. The TV was a nice big HD model and the bathroom was thoughtfully designed. I probably would not choose this hotel again, especially since the water park does not interest me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
VictorMartin, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sterling Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I'm sorry that employees were smoking at the entrance area and will take steps to immediately address the situation! We all work diligently to ensure the best customer experience and are disappointed when we fail to deliver on that goal.

We normally have great compliments on the Southwest Pork Salad and I'm truly sorry that the one we delivered to your room wasn't to your liking. We would have been more than happy to remake the item or replace it with another one. Please rest assured, that we will speak with our Chef to ensure that future guests don't receive items that aren't properly prepared.

I do hope you will return on your next visit to our area so that we can demonstrate to you that we have addressed these issues. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I can address any issues you may have and to make sure your next stay is an exceptional one.

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I recently stayed at The Best Western Sterling Inn and was very pleased with the comfortable bed and the good service. Bill checked my in very efficiently. The room included a complimentary drink at the bar in the evening and full cooked breakfast with the corporate rate. Veronica was my server in the Loon River Cafe on site. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
VictorMartin, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sterling Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We make every effort to cater to our corporate traveler's needs and I was happy to read that your enjoyed your time with us. I hope you will stay with us again when business takes you to our area.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Traveler beware. Advertising itself as a water park is shameful. Hotel closes water park/pool for extremely limited hours between Thursday and Sunday starting in September for "winter" hours. No pool or hot tub availability AT ALL during the week. Small and pricy arcade even closed! No free shuttle to take you anywhere to find family friendly entertainment and not an area where you can walk to anything. No complimentary breakfast of any sort. Restaurant on site at least as you lose the pool cafe with pool closure. You must ask specifically if you want a fridge but they are decent sized and good for leftovers but only one microwave in entire hotel. Housekeeping experience is mixed. Some days had friendly attentive staff and other days staff came by so early we ended up missing getting room cleaned or staff was rude. We've stayed here in the "summer" hours when the pool is opened and it's okay. Many people seem to throw parties here so pools get filled with non-guests and we've found outside doors propped open to let non-guests in. They do use wristbands so you must either get a ton of them with a party package or some employees must sneak wristbands to friends. There is no lifeguard regulation of behavior, only basic safety, so it's swim at your own risk with lots of unruly unchaperoned kids spouting off swear words and rough-housing. We have a preschooler so were excited to see if water park tamer since school started but pool closed. Overall, I would save my money and visit Sandusky's Kalahari or Great Wolfe Lodge. More expensive it's true but you get what you pay for and this hotel is big on advertising and underdelivers.

• Stayed September 2012
VictorMartin, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sterling Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
We do close the water park during the week once school starts since children are in school and there is very little demand when school is in session. We are open Thursday - Sunday during the school year and every day during the summer and school break times to accommodate families. We do publish the water park hours on our website and in all online media specifying that the water park is closed during the school year.

I'm truly sorry that you weren't able to utilize the water park during your recent stay and would be more than happy to discuss alternate arrangements to make sure you and your family can fully enjoy the experience with us. Please call and ask for me and I will be more than happy to work with you on it,.
stering heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I actually live fairly close to the Sterling Inn, but was a guest at a Wedding over Labor Day Weekend and decided to stay the night. Had a GREAT experience! Was unable to go to the Water Park due to my very short stay, but the front desk staff, banquet staff and the Loon River Cafe were fantastic! Loved the Brunch that the Loon offered, it was a perfect finish to a great stay! Room was super clean as were all the public areas. I will for sure recommend this Hotel to all friends who come in from out of town, and I will be visiting the Loons brunch again... maybe this Sunday. Haha. Thank you Sterling Inn for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
VictorMartin, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sterling Inn, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
I'm happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us and that you had a great time at the Wedding reception. Our entire staff strives to deliver each guest a great experience and it's always great to hear that our efforts are appreciated.

We look forward to your next visit and would love to see you here on Sunday!!
London, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Wasn't too bad for what it is.

Big complaint was the room was damp. The carpet felt wet & our bathing suits never dried. Tried cranking up the AC and opening the window, but could not lose the dampness. If we had been near the waterpark it would have been expected (though not acceptable), but we were almost at the front desk.

Food in the restaurant left a lot to be desired. There are a lot of other restaurants off-site that are much better (Buddy's Pizza is a personal favourite; Tim Horton's right across the street).

Beds we comfortable. TV worked well. Free wi-fi worked well. Fridge was small but worked well. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Bathroom was a little small and the toilet stuck out so far that you could not open the door all the way.

The waterpark was fun for our kids (6 and 4). Not sure older kids would like it - but hey, it's not Great Wolf Lodge (and definitely doesn't cost as much as GWL!). The only annoying part about the water park was the "15 minute water tests" that were conducted every 2 hours. The test would involve shutting down the entire park and making all bathers get out of the water. The five tests we experienced averaged out at about 25-30 minutes and we didn't see anyone testing any water. Not sure if this was just an excuse for the lifeguards to have a break. I am surprised they have no way to continuously monitor the water with out shutting everything down (I have never seen this happen in any other pool or waterpark I have been to; this is why I suspect it was a "staff break" ploy - perhaps management can comment on this). The reason I point this out is because it is tough to pull the kids out of the water for about 1/2 an hour while these "tests" occur.

All in all, not a bad place for the price.

Room Tip: -1st floor has the waterpark entrance at the end
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
VictorMartin, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sterling Inn, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
I was happy to read that you enjoyed our bedding, the TV, free wifi, friendly staff and that your children enjoyed the water park. We take great pride in providing a great facility for the entire family and it's always heartening to read that our efforts are appreciated.

We do our chemical checks in the Aquatics filter room area which isn't in public view. We are able to sample the water from outlets there and don't need to bring all the chemicals on deck. When the water is empty, it makes the reading much more accurate and our main concern is providing a safe environment for everyone. Yes, we do have automatic, computer controlled devices that constantly monitor the chemical levels. However, like any automated system, they fail from time to time. The Health Department realizes this and requires that we do manual checks to confirm that the automatic systems are functioning properly.

I haven't had any other complaints of dampness in a guest room, but will see that our staff checks the entire facility to see if there is a room with that issue. Did you mention the issue to anyone on our staff during your stay? We would have been more than happy to take care of it right away and/or moved you to a different room so that we could address the issue.

Thank you for your comments and I do hope you can return again in the near future and see that the damp condition you mentioned is not a common one.
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I hate giving bad reviews but this hotel just wasn't nice. Unless you're trapped in Sterling Heights with a bunch of bored kids I wouldn't recommend it at all. We picked this hotel because it was close to the people we were visiting and had a restaurant, but since we did not avail ourselves of the water park it wasn't at all worth the money.

First off all the room was not in very good repair. The bathroom was okay and looked like it had been recently redone but the closet doors were literally falling off the tracks and the mini fridge was not clean and barely cold. Covered with sticky stuff---eeesh. The floor lamp switch didn't work, the only way to turn it on and off was by using the plug. But the real problem is that they didn't seem to want to clean our room. We got back to the hotel at 10pm and the room hadn't been touched. When we called they were very apologetic and offerred to clean it then, but we were too tired and just asked for towels, which they did send immediately. The second day we got back to the room after 3pm and guess what? Still not cleaned. We were stunned because when we'd left that morning, housekeeping was doing up the room next door to ours. Housekeeping came immediately and the ladies were very nice, but come on. Thank goodness we didn't stay another day because if we'd had the same problem again I might have lost it. The restaurant was pretty good for breakfast and the lunch and dinner menu looked good too, but I can't say I would ever stay here again.

Room Tip: You'd think the rooms next to the water park entrance would be noisy, but they weren't at al...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
I'm truly sorry that you had an unpleasant experience with us. Our entire staff strives to provide the best in accommodations and we are truly sorry that we failed to do so in the room you were assigned. I will see that our housekeeping staff redoubles their efforts to assure that each and every room is exceptionally clean for every guest every day!

Travelers are raving about these Sterling Heights hotels

Lake City, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Came here for a conference at the Palace. Got this hotel on Priceline. We didn't spend too much time in the room. Hotel was clean and we didn't plan on using the waterpark, but since we had 2 hrs before the conference, we actually used the waterpark for a bit, it was surprisingly fun! The room could use a little updating, since it is an older hotel. But it met our needs for the 2 nights.

The staff - pretty nice, we got locked out the 2nd night because for some reason our card didn't work, 2 of the staff members happened to walk by and let us in (after asking for name to confirm), which was very nice. Housekeeping - maybe this was just an oversight, they cleaned our room for the 2nd day, took the soap and half empty shampoo and conditioner, but didn't put the new ones in. Went to the front desk and got the supplies, no biggie. Overall, nice experience and good value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
VictorMartin, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sterling Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us and hope you can return again in the near future to fully utilize the facilities.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sterling Inn? Share your experiences!