“Disappointing. Just average. Book at new Hampton Inn in Chesterfield,MI or the one on 23 Mile in Utica.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Sterling Heights

Special Offer
Last Minute Deals!
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed here on business for one night this week. I did not know they were completing renovations when I booked my stay. Upon arrival, I could see that the lobby area was under construction. The front desk associate told me that the rooms had already been completed so I was excited to see the new look. Unfortunately, eventhough they say they have renovated their rooms, the decor is still outdated and boring. I could not see much of a difference from when I had stayed here a couple of years ago. A huge negative is that the heating/cooling system has no thermostat so it is impossible to get the room to the desired temperature. The most dissappointing part of my stay was the bed. It was so uncomfortable which is not typical of Hampton or Hilton properties. Honestly, I travel all the time and I could not sleep at this hotel because I was so uncomfortable between the horrible bed and the heating/cooling system not having a thermostat controlled system. This was the worst night's sleep (lack of sleep) I have had in a while. Another problem was with the housekeeping, the bathroom floor tile was not cleaned properly. Another small detail was that the hotel did not acknowledge my HHonors Diamond status and they did not put the usual complimentary bottled water in my room. I had to go back down to the front desk to get this. I could have complained to the hotel and with their 100% satisfaction policy but I did not want to lose credit for my Hilton Honors stay or the points. I do not recommend staying at this hotel if you have the option of choosing the new Hampton Inn Chesterfield or even the one on 23 Mile Rd. in Utica. Both of those hotels will offer you a better nights sleep than this one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Very cordial staff, helpful, courteous and friendly.
Rooms are a bit small but they do have fridge and microwave. Everything was as expected and worked well.
Business center was well stocked and the computers were fast.
Typical Hampton breakfast.
This is a good stop for a business trip to the East side. The area has restaurants etc but would not be a good stay for vacation time. I will use this location again.

• Stayed September 2012
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here for over a week due to an apartment fire, and the staff was willing to work with me on the rate. I really appreciated that, and I thing that it's a very nice example of a quality Hampton Inn.

Some of the pros during my stay were:

- Cleanliness.
- Good breakfast (including breakfast bags to go).
- Warm cookies to eat when you come "home" every day. I loved them.
- Newspaper.
- Hot coffee/tea available almost all of the time.
- A food pantry.

CONS:

- The lobby seems to be a little overpopulated with chairs. I would like to see a little bit less small furniture and little bit more large, comfortable furniture to relax in. This really isn't a negative, just an observation.

Stay here. You will enjoy your visit.

Room Tip: Speak with a manager ahead of time to see if there are any discounts or deals available for your par...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This property seemed a little older than I thought, but it had been updated. It was frustrating to wait for 5+ minutes for someone to come to the desk to check me in and then for both keys not to work, but the young lady working the desk was very pleasant so it was difficult to be too upset. It is convient to dining and shopping.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
North America
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I love how this hotel is so close to where I do business and the many restaurants and stores up and down Van Dyke. The breakfast is great, one day might be eggs and hash browns, the next day french toast sticks with sausage. The pool is very warm and soothing. It does get the cross section of Michigan guests, when I was there ranged from an Eastern European wedding party to several tattooed bikers, to a seemingly deranged girl smoking at 1 in the morning with such a blemished complexion and cuts and marks she looked like a druggie from down in D-Town itself come to service a john

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I was here for 1 night on business. this was a typical high quality Hampton Inn stay. the hotel was in great condition. The room and hotel in general was very clean. the room was well appointed and had a good size TV, microwave, fridge, etc. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom as well as the room itself were a good size.

The hotel had a partially working business center. I loved the fact that I could plug my laptop directly into their printer but they didn't have a working PC. Not a problem for me but something you may want to consider.

there was a lot of restaurants in the area plus lots of shopping and it was convenient to the highway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Having booked into the Hampton, I was expecting the same type of service and quality that I generally receive (and expect) at all Hamptons.

The hotel and staff were all generally very pleasant and helpful; the breakfast area as also well looked after and provided a decent morning meal.

My biggest issue was the room – room 216 which is a King room, with a Jacuzzi. Nice room, however I did not need the Jacuzzi, but that is all they had for my four night stay.

My problem is a long “noisy story”, but I eventually worked out that room 216 is above the laundry, and you guessed, the laundry runs most of the night. I can vouch for one night it running until 1:30am. Besides the constant humming and the thump every time “it” comes on or off line, the floor vibration is also a problem. Deep at night, it is very annoying.

In their defense, the front desk offered to change my room, but as it was a hassle and that I thought it could not get worse, it was my mistake, I should have changed after the second night.

My issue is the fact that they even think to put guests in that room – knowing of its noisiness and as well, high vibrations in the floor into the bed………………..not very nice if you want to sleep comfortably.

Other than that, the location is great with a Starbucks and Jimmy Johns out front with a Target alongside, in case you need some supplies.

A couple of decent restaurants around if you need to get a dinner. It offers lots of choices.

My room had a microwave and fridge as well.

Decent stay if you are not in room 216

Room Tip: Stay away from 216
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Sterling Heights? Share your experiences!