“Picnic Ride for 2 - Incredibly insensitive” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Outback Lodge and Stables

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanwood
Outback Lodge and Stables
You added Outback Lodge and Stables to your Saves list
12600 Buchanan, Stanwood, MI 49346   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Stanwood B&B and Inns
“Picnic Ride for 2 - Incredibly insensitive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Had a great time riding the horses and talking with our guide. The only problem was that the picnic for 2 was actually a picnic for 4!!! The guy who delivered our lunch and our guide never stepped more than 15 feet away from us and proceeded to gossip loudly the whole time. They knew it was my girlfriend's Birthday and knew that it was a surprise for her yet they didn't seem to care that they were completely hovering over us the whole time. It was incredibly AWKWARD!!! It would have been better if they had just joined us because at least we wouldn't have been eating in front of them. The only way we could have avoided this was to be rude and ask them to give us some space which I should have done but shouldn't have ever been put in the situation where I would have to. I left raging angry but said nothing because it was my girlfriend's Birthday. We never actually said anything to each other the whole time because we felt like we had to compete with the conversation next to us and didn't really want to share our conversation. The food was also cold but we didn't really care about the food - they could have given me a granola bar and I would have been happy. All I wanted was 20 minutes alone in the woods with my girlfriend. That would have been pretty special for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I just arrived back home from Michigan where we have family. This was our fourth stay at the Outback Lodge and it was just as accommodating as all the rest. We stayed in the Hero room, which was just what we needed~a quiet, private room with a view. Kent and Sue and grandson Parker were all so pleasant. The breakfasts were each served with thoughtfulness to detail. We have enjoyed a bonfire in September and an early morning horseback ride on previous trips. We recommend the Cowboy Cottage in the summer if you want your own private retreat and look forward to a horse-drawn sleigh ride in the future when the snow is present. This is a laid back, family friendly place with room for family gatherings and get-togethers with friends.

Room Tip: There are a number of different rooms, each with their own style/arrangement. check their website f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My first visit to the Outback was in June of this year (2012). I loved it so much that I went back there twice in July, once in August, and once in September. Each time I have been there, the owners, Sue and Kent, have treated me with the warmth of family, and with the care and service you would offer a most esteemed visitor. Breakfast was always tasty and abundant. I stayed in both the Legends room and the cabin. For me, the highlight of the trips was spending time with their sweet and gentle horses, who offer trail rides through the adjacent beautiful state forest, as well as wagon rides, and even sleigh rides in winter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Allenton, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I found this Lodge homey, and comfortable. Clean and neat, and the western decor was so fitting. I found the rooms to be clean. The beds to be as comfortable as could be expected. Keep in mind this is an equestrian facility, so there may be dirt in the entry way from coming from the stables, or from guests not taking off their boots. I wasn't expecting to eat off the floors. Sue and Kent are lovely hosts and made us feel right at home. If you take your own horse (as we did) the paddock fencing is a bit lax. But if your horse is quiet, shouldn't be a problem. The trails are sandy and the scenery is awesome. I'm looking forward to going back again next year.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms seemed quieter because you were away from guests coming in and out. And, you were...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
North Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed here towards the end of our holiday so that we could take another ride. Our Hosts were extremely welcoming and friendly and basically treat you as part of the family. Guests rooms are mostly downstairs where there is a comfortable lounge but you are also welcome to use upstairs. The kitchen was a little unorganised and not the cleanest I had seen but everywhere else was spotless.
The Ranch has a number of horses and small animals and you can go down and spend time down there. When we visited it was holiday weekend and the ranch had cart rides for local children which was a nice touch and which we partook. We did a two hour picnic ride on our second day expecting a few sandwiches we were suprised when half way through out ride we were met in a clearing by sue with table chairs, tablecloth and flowers and a lovely meal of chicken, potatos and salad. Sue had even brough an step for me to get on and off the horse knowing I had arthritis!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Mesick MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

The horsebackriding was great, but if cleanliness is your thing, don't stay over. My room: someone elses hair on my pillow, pet food on the carpet, toothpaste spatters on the mirror, shabby decor, a pilly old blanket that's like a piece of velcro for hair and other debris, a painfully hard mattress, and the noise of the TV two yards from my door. The common rooms look like the family lives there. The feng shui at the guest entry is so nonexistant that it looks and feels like you are stepping into someone's slightly grungy family room, leaving guests to wander up the carpeted stairs in their boots trying to find where they are supposed to check in, and if they might have missed the correct entrance, thereby tracking dirty slush all over the house, which you get to step in, if you were polite enough to take off your own dirty footwear at the door. The food was basic and alright, but I did need to pull a long hair out of my dessert before eating it. The table cloth at breakfast was stained and littered with leftover bits of food from dinner the night before because someone did not bother to shake it out, or better yet, lay out a fresh one. Our hosts were friendly, but what do you do when you see the person who just cooked your breakfast with an inch and a half of mucus hanging from their nose, unbeknownst to them? You look away, like I did, and hope if some of that action landed in your food, it was well cooked. If you are seeking a romantic weekend, this is not the best setting. It's better for down to earth equestrian time in the outdoors. That's where you may find the magic.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Iron River, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We also stayed in the Hero room and are happy to report the bed bugs are gone. The owners of the lodge, Sue and Kent, are the friendliest and most accomodating hosts. They made sure that we had our breakfast at the time we needed it and even arranged for us to have a trail ride and a wagon ride.

Room Tip: Check out the Outback's webpage to see pics of each room before you book your trip.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Outback Lodge and Stables? Share your experiences!