“Local Dive - Not a Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Spring Lake
Overland Park, Kansas
“Local Dive - Not a Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel was not a hotel with a lounge - it is a bar with a hotel. My wife and I travel almost every week all around the country on business and this is the worst experience I have encountered in some twenty years of travel. This hotel caters to locals in the bar and the hotel guests are an after thought and god help them if the locals don't want them there.

Bar Manager was standing in the lobby with an open beer. The General Managers position is if you don't like it - just leave. Maid services was after 3 pm. Grand Haven, MI is a beautiful town with fantastic restaurants, but this hotel is a local redneck hangout. It is all about the bar which is dominated by obnoxious locals. Visit Grand Haven and experience a wonderful community, but stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnGHSL, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Haven - Spring Lake, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
James0660,

We apologize that you felt your stay was less than satisfactory.

We feel as though the situation that you experienced was handled to the best extent it could be. When it comes to guests that are under the influence of alcohol, we do our best to make decisions that ensures the safety of our customers and employees.

Our company policy states that no employee may drink while on the clock and it is strictly enforced. At the time that you saw the bar manager, he was cleaning up beer bottles left in the lobby by other customers as part of his nightly duties.

Our hotel is a welcoming community –accepting to all out of town guests as well as our local patrons and we most certainly strive to provide the best experience possible.

Spring Lake Holiday Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed with our dog for the weekend. The location was awesome. The staff were great, this was the cheapest, nicest hotel that allowed dogs in the Grand Haven area. I left phone charger in the room. I emailed the hotel and didn't get a reply. I thought oh well its gone. 5 days later the charger is in my mailbox along with a $20 gift card for our next stay! I'm amazed! The restaurant was delicious too!

• Stayed March 2013
HolidayInnGHSL, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Haven - Spring Lake, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your review! I’m glad that we were able to accommodate you and your dog for the weekend—our staff strives to give excellent service and to go above and beyond the expectations of all of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!!

Warm Regards,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the WiFi is free. There were homemade cookies and hot chocolate upon arrival (not good for the diet, but YUMMY!). I highly recommend this hotel, especially if you're in town for a concert at Seven Steps Up (which I highly recommend as well).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HolidayInnGHSL, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Haven - Spring Lake, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! The homemade cookies and hot chocolate have been a huge hit to all of our guests and I’m glad you enjoyed them. We partner with quite a few local business such as Seven Steps Up so that our guests can have the opportunity to enjoy the different things that our area has to offer when staying at our hotel. We hope to see you soon!

Kalamazoo, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A couple of years ago my husband and I stayed in this hotel and were very displeased with the entire experience. However, I am happy to say that since its renovation and change of management, the hotel provided a completely different experience. Our room was lovely and very clean. The bed was very comfortable, but the pillows leave something to be desired. Even though we had children staying across the hall from us, I noticed the room to be very quiet. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and courteous, and the food in Jack's was a huge step up from the last time we were here. In fact, the entire bar is a huge step up from the last time we were here.

One issue though...check-out is 11 am. That was an awfully early check-out time. Normally check-out is noon, and even an hour more would have been helpful and appreciated. When enjoying the entertainment in the bar until into the wee hours of the morning, it would be nice to be able to sleep in just a bit longer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m happy to hear that your return stay with us was a great experience. We’ve undergone a lot of changes since our reservations and we are extremely pleased with the way that everything has turned out. Our staff works extra hard to make this a home away from home for everyone that stays here and I’m glad that you could see the positive changes we’ve made! We do offer a late checkout to our Priority Club Members—please let us know when you stay with us next and we will accommodate your needs.

Birmingham, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

As a business traveler, I have endured many horrible nights at several overrated hotels. However, a few weeks ago, I had meetings on the west-side of MI and had 2 very satisfying experiences wth the Amway Grand in Grand Rapids, MI (which we all know) and the recently renovated Holiday Inn in Grand Haven. The new Holiday Inn has everything you would need, both for business and pleasure. The food in the restaurant was delicious and the view is spectacular. The lounge provides comedy and entertainment that was great!

It's a must if you' re on that side of the state and certainly within a business/pleasure budget, it's worth a try and I must say (a lot less expensive than the Amway Grand Hotel)

Room Tip: Any room is great. Pick one to look out at the water
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! I’m glad to hear that as a business traveler that we met your needs and also provided the extra amenities so that you could have a chance to relax and enjoy your stay at our hotel! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I travel for work to the Spring Lake/Grand Haven area a couple of times a year and I usually stay at the Holiday Inn Grand Haven - Spring Lake which I really think is a hidden gem of that area. The hotel has been beautifully renovated and the staff is always welcoming and accommodating.
During my last visit, several weeks ago, I arrived late at night and my check-in process was fast and efficient. I also forgot to bring a few personal items and was pleasantly surprised when the front desk agent provided those items for me. The front desk agent also informed me of the on-going renovation of the bar area. However, I could hardly hear anything and the renovation did not disturb me at all during my two-night stay.
I also had some of my meals at the hotel's restaurant. I noticed that they had renovated the restaurant since my last visit. The menu was also new to me. During one of my dinners, the restaurant manager came up to my table to ensure everything was fine and I was enjoying my meal. She also happened to remember me from my last visit which I thought was really nice. I tried different items from the menu for every meal and everything was tasty and served promptly. I have not seen the bar after its renovation but I will check it soon since I will be attending a Valentine’s Day event there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing our property for your traveling needs while in the Spring Lake/ Grand Haven area. We appreciate your continued support. I am very happy to hear that our front desk agent was able to provide you with great service as well as meet any of your needs.
Thank you for noticing the renovations completed in the dining room and I am glad to hear the bar renovations did not disturb your stay, I hope when you came back for Valentine’s Day you were pleased with the updates that were made.

It is very important to me as Restaurant Manager that our guests are not only served delicious, quality meals in a timely fashion, but also that they are treated like the everyday hero’s that they are. Again, thank you for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you again.

Respectfully Yours,
Lacey Cole
Restaurant Manager
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I visited this Holiday Inn for the first time. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were on the fourth floor in a comfortable, clean room. The beds were comfortable, a blessing for me as I have a back and shoulder injury. It was a cold night so we appreciated the good heat which we could then turn down to sleep. There is easy access on and off highway #31. We appreciated the on-site restaurant where we had a good dinner. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room on the fourth floor, north side was quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I’m glad to hear that your first experience here with us was great and we hope to see you in the summer season when you can enjoy our outdoor pool and deck dining area!

Revenue Manager / Guest Services Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Grand Haven - Spring Lake? Share your experiences!