“Room Service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 hotels in Southfield
Dallas, Texas, United States
“Room Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I am staying in this hotel right now. Believe me when I say that I would leave the hotel if had a chance to look for something else. For me the most important thing is cleanliness, especially when you are going to be in the same room for 4-5 months. Its been a month here, and what I have noticed is that they never vacuum the carpet, change sheets or wash clothes. Also, they never clean behind the door in the bathroom. My hair are always there. House keeping is absolutely HORRIBLE!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Melissa C, IHG Listening Champion at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
I do sincerely apologize about the issues that you have encountered during your stay with us. I would love an opportunity to amend this with you. We have already spoken with our housekeeping team and going forward I believe we have resolved these issues. I am in the office Monday - Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. again I would love to be able to turn your experience around for the remainder of your stay.

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Piscataway, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hotel was not a clean place. It was suppose to be newly renovated. But our first room smell like smoke. So we had to move to another room. The second was a lot better. We got a great deal on the price. We came to Detroit for my cousin wedding. But we came a few days early so we could see family. The wedding was 45min north of Detroit and we stayed at another hotel. I will never stay there again. I recommend not staying at this hotel. We stayed here June 2010.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Donald T,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortcomings you had in your room and deeply regret that your experience was not ideal.

It is only through valuable feedback we receive from our valued customers that we would be in a position to know where we go wrong and rectify the circumstances or incidents, in order to ensure that we do not repeat the same in the future. We are hoping that you give us the pleasure of hosting your next stay.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The hotel is a 3-story with an inside elevator and everything appeared clean, quiet and first rate! The room was bright and cheery, with a comfortable bed, a great recliner and lots of space to stretch out. My kids and I enjoyed the small, but nicely equipped fitness room. The hotel is located between two freeways (Lodge and I-696) and very convenient - and no street noise! And the staff is wonderful - ready to help and extremely knowledgeable. I picked up a directory of Candlewood Suites for other states - They seem to be well equipped and well priced!

Room Tip: Our room was great and we didn't have any specifics in mind. I think folks can relax when choos...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for the wonderful review. We do appreciate you taking the time out of your day to let others know what a positive experience you had. Have a great day!
Southfield, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I live in the local area and decided to check this place out for fun. Everything was newly renovated and seemed to be relatively clean. The major cons I experienced were the uncomfortable matress/flat pillows, along with the fact that they don't have good curtains. Most hotels have black out curtains and this place only had the thin see-through ones. So as soon as the sun came out in the am I was miserable. I only stayed for one night so I don't have much say so on how the cleaning services are. Overall it wasn't a bad experience, it was nice to have a kitchen inside the unit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
First let me apologize that you found our mattress and pillows to be less than satisfactory. We do have black-out curtains in each room housekeeping does push them all the way back so to let light in an unoccupied room. I am sure there is a way to continue to light let in while also making the black out curtains more visible. I do hope the next time you need a night out, you will give us a chance to fix the minor imperfections in your last stay.
Southfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I love this place. I stay here whenever I am in the area. The workers are nice and very helpful. Mary is the best. She was my tour guide for a whole week. The sales manager is is a very nice young lady that will work with you on price if you need to stay for a long period of time. I tell everyone about this place and the service that I receive. This place is great and one of the best hotel stays I have had in Detroit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
That is awesome! Your experience with us is what we strive for with each and every guest. Mary is a great GSR and a great addition to our team. We look forward to your return visit to the Detroit- Southfield area. : )
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I waited for a few days before reviewing because I did not want to give a bad review before I thought it through. The staff, especially Mary was exceptional..polite prior to coming and gave us the same pleasantries when we arrive. The hotel met and exceeded all expectations but it is not the best place for just an overnight stay or a few days. We literally got 0 sleep because of the noise level on the 3rd floor. Apparently the extended stay folks come in at all hours of the night making a lot of noise. I understand that they probably have paid a lot of money to stay at your hotel but they certainly have not paid to be inconsiderate of others. I felt like a step child because our stay was only for 1 night so we were not as important as others who paid more. We are planning another visit to Detroit to see our sister but I am not sure if we will stay there again. Big shout out to Mary.

Room Tip: A good choice for an extended stay but not for a weekend visit. Request the 3rd floor so there will...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I apologize for the unpleasantness you encountered during you stay. I would love an opportunity to show you that our short term guests are just as important as our long term guests. We value all of our customers as well as providing a nice clean and comfortable establishment. We would love for you to return to our hotel in the near future.
Barrington, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Tucked back in an area of secured corporate offices; shopping center down the block is shuttered with only a dollar store open festooned with food stamp folk at the door. Truthfully I am leary of anything close to Detroit and I just want to be reassured from the start that I am really safe. No close restaurants just a couple of gas stations. Didn't like that.

Room was adequate but my husband hated the fact that there was only one foot distance to the wall on his side of the bed. His issue? He bets that that area never gets vaccuumed......I thought the room was clean but he didn't like what he couldn't see. The room was very nicely renovated. (except for the towel rack that was ripped from the wall) Shower was weak.

My real disappointment was the laundry, which is BTW free, gratis, no extra charge. This was really why I choose this motel over another because we have been travelling and I wanted to use my downtime wisely and get our clothes clean. I was up half the night! The first washer didn't work (no sign) and one of the dryers didn't work either! I had to keep running up and down and up and down to check and reload and check again. What a hassle.

While the operators running this unit are not doing anything wrong, per se, I just didn't like the location and the free laundry turned out to be a curse and not a blessing.

Room Tip: Most rooms are quiet, your neighbor and their noise level will dictate your happiness. It's the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi there!

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this information. We find it is invaluable to receive your feedback!

Please assure your husband our vacuums have attachments and we definitely do clean the area between the bed and the wall.

My apologies for the washer incident. We do have one down as I am waiting on on a part for it. However the other 4 are definitely working as I just double checked as did all 6 dryers. I'm not sure what happened there. Our team is on-site 24-7 and we welcome the opportunity to assist our guests with their needs during their stay.

Also, we pride ourselves on going to great lengths to ensure no guests interferes with the experience of another and are ready & willing to assist.

Thanks again and good luck on your travels!

Been to Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield? Share your experiences!