“GREAT” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Southfield, Michigan
“GREAT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I love this place. I stay here whenever I am in the area. The workers are nice and very helpful. Mary is the best. She was my tour guide for a whole week. The sales manager is is a very nice young lady that will work with you on price if you need to stay for a long period of time. I tell everyone about this place and the service that I receive. This place is great and one of the best hotel stays I have had in Detroit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Melissa C, IHG Listening Champion at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
That is awesome! Your experience with us is what we strive for with each and every guest. Mary is a great GSR and a great addition to our team. We look forward to your return visit to the Detroit- Southfield area. : )

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I waited for a few days before reviewing because I did not want to give a bad review before I thought it through. The staff, especially Mary was exceptional..polite prior to coming and gave us the same pleasantries when we arrive. The hotel met and exceeded all expectations but it is not the best place for just an overnight stay or a few days. We literally got 0 sleep because of the noise level on the 3rd floor. Apparently the extended stay folks come in at all hours of the night making a lot of noise. I understand that they probably have paid a lot of money to stay at your hotel but they certainly have not paid to be inconsiderate of others. I felt like a step child because our stay was only for 1 night so we were not as important as others who paid more. We are planning another visit to Detroit to see our sister but I am not sure if we will stay there again. Big shout out to Mary.

Room Tip: A good choice for an extended stay but not for a weekend visit. Request the 3rd floor so there will...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I apologize for the unpleasantness you encountered during you stay. I would love an opportunity to show you that our short term guests are just as important as our long term guests. We value all of our customers as well as providing a nice clean and comfortable establishment. We would love for you to return to our hotel in the near future.
Barrington, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Tucked back in an area of secured corporate offices; shopping center down the block is shuttered with only a dollar store open festooned with food stamp folk at the door. Truthfully I am leary of anything close to Detroit and I just want to be reassured from the start that I am really safe. No close restaurants just a couple of gas stations. Didn't like that.

Room was adequate but my husband hated the fact that there was only one foot distance to the wall on his side of the bed. His issue? He bets that that area never gets vaccuumed......I thought the room was clean but he didn't like what he couldn't see. The room was very nicely renovated. (except for the towel rack that was ripped from the wall) Shower was weak.

My real disappointment was the laundry, which is BTW free, gratis, no extra charge. This was really why I choose this motel over another because we have been travelling and I wanted to use my downtime wisely and get our clothes clean. I was up half the night! The first washer didn't work (no sign) and one of the dryers didn't work either! I had to keep running up and down and up and down to check and reload and check again. What a hassle.

While the operators running this unit are not doing anything wrong, per se, I just didn't like the location and the free laundry turned out to be a curse and not a blessing.

Room Tip: Most rooms are quiet, your neighbor and their noise level will dictate your happiness. It's the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi there!

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this information. We find it is invaluable to receive your feedback!

Please assure your husband our vacuums have attachments and we definitely do clean the area between the bed and the wall.

My apologies for the washer incident. We do have one down as I am waiting on on a part for it. However the other 4 are definitely working as I just double checked as did all 6 dryers. I'm not sure what happened there. Our team is on-site 24-7 and we welcome the opportunity to assist our guests with their needs during their stay.

Also, we pride ourselves on going to great lengths to ensure no guests interferes with the experience of another and are ready & willing to assist.

Thanks again and good luck on your travels!
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am a Priority Club member and have been for many years. I understand hotels needing to charge deposits for rooms/stays. I can tell you, I was really shocked to learn upon arrival that my ONE NIGHT'S STAY would require a $300 deposit. I have never had a room deposit that high and frankly, for an $80/night hotel, that is more than excessive. If the policy is to have such a high room deposit, be considerate of people traveling who intend to spend money at the casino or just eating good meals in Detroit to inform them when they make the reservation online of this high deposit. Finding that information out when you get to the check in desk is alarming to say the least. Outside of that, the room was beautiful, the staff was very friendly and the hotel was clean. No complaints about the accommodations, just the deposit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hi there! Thank you so much for your stay and taking the time to provide your feedback! We do take an authorization on a credit card in order to stay. This is an industry standard practice. My apologies you have never experienced such an authorization before. We do communicate this through our various booking channels. However, certain 3rd party booking sites not directly affiliated with our company do choose NOT to communicate this information. I apologize that they make this choice. As you mentioned, our staff is friendly and the rooms are beautiful. We have determined this authorization is necessary to ensure our rooms stay beautiful. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Travelers are raving about these Southfield hotels

Southfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have just recently completed my 1 year stay with Candlewood Suites. I can say that I do not regret making the decision to stay here since day 1. The staff here is extremely friendly, sweet, kind, and helpful. Anytime I have had an issue from a noisy guest, my fridge, ac, to even housekeeping the staff have responded efficiently and immediately.
Everyone who stays at an extended living should have a car, that is a must. Nothing is walking distance, and if it is I don't think Southfield is the best place to be walking around as it is. As for delivery-Jimmy Johns, Chinese Restaurant on Telegraph Rd, and Dominos are the way to go.
After the renovations, the rooms have gotten a better look. They are modern, clean, and spacious. There is more desk space in the studio suite and there is a tv that takes up no room! The only not so great things are the comforters and pillows. They are not too comfy nor do they go with the new look of the rooms.
When I first came here, my main concern was safety. The staff is here 24/7 and that is one thing they all ensure. I do see a security van outside sometimes in the late hours of the evening as well.
I would definitely recommend this location to everyone, and have already done so to many of the new incoming guests. It is safe, convenient, spacious, modern, and super friendly. Everyone from the maintenance team to the front desk is friendly and efficient. They all are very nice people as well! It's been a pleasure to stay here and has given me a good experience for living in Michigan for the first time. :)

Room Tip: Having a room facing the main parking lot is better in terms of getting the most sunlight!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hello!! Thank you so much for your feedback and for choosing to continue to stay with us. We greatly appreciate and you!!
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Candlewood Suites Southfield has taken the weekly stress of finding a hotel out of my life. all the rooms have been totally renovated. They are new right down to the towels and bedding. Always clean and comfortable. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Rooms have a kitchen and work desk area that are complete. I have stayed for six weeks and plan to continue.

Room Tip: Room # 140 is well located on the first floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SCOTT S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback!!

We will see you next week!

GM Scott
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel has recently been remodeled and features many comforts of home. The rooms are nicely laid out and the Kitchen area is adequately supplied (including free popcorn in the full size microwave!). There are no oders in either the public areas or the rooms themselves.

The table/desk area is very large and functions very well. The bathrooms are large and nicely lighted. Again, the counter area is very handy and allows you to lay out your toiletries and still of plenty of room without fear of pushing things onto the floor.

The complimentary laundry area is clean and well maintained. The workout room has an adequate amount of equipment and I have never had to wait to finish my workout routine.

In addition to the physical attributes to this hotel, the staff is GREAT! They are extremely nice and sincerely want to make your stay pleasant. Overal a very nice place to stay at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback!!

We appreciate your time and choice to stay with us!!

GM Scott

Been to Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield? Share your experiences!