“Great Value!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Burlington, Canada
“Great Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel was perfect for our trip to Detroit. It was a bit tricky to find with the divided streets, but it was right off the highway, so we didn't have to search very long. The suites are an excellent layout for travelling with older kids, and the cost (with AAA discount) was very economical. Especially loved the FREE parking, FREE internet and FREE breakfast buffet! Pool was a bit small, but we still enjoyed it. We were missing a few things in the bathroom, and needed more pillows, but that was quickly rectified by the staff.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

a/c was warm...it was just a fan...ice machine broken....dirty stained carpeting.....housekeeoing could not speak English and couldn't understand English..the location was good...right off the hwy.....breakfast was over way too early.....the pool area was dinghy looking..the place needs an overhaul and update........a/c was a major problem

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

ESMGMT, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I really appreciate your taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were inconvenienced by a few things at our hotel. I want to personally apologize if your A/C unit was not working properly and that there were some other maintenance issues such as the ice machine not working. I sincerely apologize if this inconvenienced you in any way and I thank you for bringing this up to my attention so that I can follow-up with our maintenance crew.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Gail M.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Everything was clean, pleasant and convenient. This is a good option for families. It is very close to the highway and thus a quick drive into Detroit and Dearborn. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, which had a lot of variety, and the staff was always friendly and helpful.

DeWitt, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Nice hotel, though is at the higher end price wise. Probably more than you need if just staying for a night but would be great for a longer stay and well worth it. The breakfast is good, though the times weren't pointed out well. They have very strict policies concerning any type of parties - especially the part about absolutely no birthday cake in the room.

Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here the entire week and enjoyed my time at the property. Here are the pros and cons:
Pros: Check in was easy and painless.
The fact you get a suite is a great value in comparison to similar priced hotels in the area.
The happy hour is a nice touch and the servers were very nice.
Breakfast is simple but very good.

Cons:The property is worn out a little. They definitely need to remodel and bring it into the 2013 era.

Overall, I will stay here again and consider it a very good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We haven't been here for almost 20 years but we liked this hotel then and like it now. We did get a refurbished room which was excellent. Internet service was great. We were there with lots of families and kids for an athletic competition. Consequently breakfast was a mob scene, but the staff handled it extremely well. They even set up two separate breakfast lines for omelets and they fed lots of people expediously. They even extended the breakfast hours to accomodate the late comers. Evening reception was excellent, in addition to beer and wine you could get a mixed drink if you wanted. Lots of chips, salsa, cheese, hummus, pita bread, crackers, etc to go with. The place was full both nights we were there and the staff handled it flawlessly. Location can't be beat, we went to a Tigers game one afternoon. Less than 30 minutes from the hotel to the stadium parking lot, even with a huge crowd at the ballpark. The next day we took in some more sights in Detroit, easy access. A number of inexpensive good restaurants in the area despite the fact that it is a suburban area. Nice property. We will be back in we are ever in the area again.

Room Tip: since it is an atrium hotel, higher floors are a little less noisy. we were on seven and didn't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stood at the embassy suites southfield back in June while I attended the Orion music and more festival in downtown Detroit with a few friends. This hotel is located in the nice suburban town of Southfield which is about twenty minutes away by car from both the airport and downtown. One thing I noticed right when I checked into my room was it seems that the rooms can use some remodeling. The décor seems very worn and old in this property which seems to be a big difference from what is the norm in other properties on the Hilton chain.
On our second day at the hotel we noticed the toilet was not flushing properly I immediately called the front desk about the problem and someone was promptly sent up however this issue was not resolved and we needed to change rooms. The second room had the same worn furniture and the air conditioning was not up to par however we decided to suck it up and just stay with the room. The day before we were to check out I checked my bank account statement which I always do when I stay at hotels and noticed the hotel was over charging me for my room. "this was not the standard hold they take for incidentals either" again I had to go to the front desk and try to rectify the situation as this was putting a substantial hit on my bank account. needless to say I was not a happy camper.
With all this being said however I must say that the staff was courteous and tried their best to make our stay as pleasant as possible even with all the issues I was encountering during our stay. Nicole at the front desk was very helpful with speaking to my bank letting them it was a mistake on their end so that my funds can be placed back into my account immediately, in addition the rest of the staff were very helpful giving food recommendations, the female working during the managers reception was also very nice and courteous and always had a smile on her face.
A special thank you also goes out to noel who drives the courtesy vans in this property he went above and beyond from helping friends of mine find a good place to watch the hockey game to getting us to and from the concert safely and affordably to finally dropping us off at the airport to catch our flight home he was truly a professional. Because of the staff even with everything that went wrong with my stay I would consider returning to this property if I am ever back in the Detroit area. Hopefully the hotel will do some remodeling of the rooms before then.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Embassy Suites Detroit Southfield? Share your experiences!