“Worn facilities but good service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Philadelphia, PA
“Worn facilities but good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here the entire week and enjoyed my time at the property. Here are the pros and cons:
Pros: Check in was easy and painless.
The fact you get a suite is a great value in comparison to similar priced hotels in the area.
The happy hour is a nice touch and the servers were very nice.
Breakfast is simple but very good.

Cons:The property is worn out a little. They definitely need to remodel and bring it into the 2013 era.

Overall, I will stay here again and consider it a very good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We haven't been here for almost 20 years but we liked this hotel then and like it now. We did get a refurbished room which was excellent. Internet service was great. We were there with lots of families and kids for an athletic competition. Consequently breakfast was a mob scene, but the staff handled it extremely well. They even set up two separate breakfast lines for omelets and they fed lots of people expediously. They even extended the breakfast hours to accomodate the late comers. Evening reception was excellent, in addition to beer and wine you could get a mixed drink if you wanted. Lots of chips, salsa, cheese, hummus, pita bread, crackers, etc to go with. The place was full both nights we were there and the staff handled it flawlessly. Location can't be beat, we went to a Tigers game one afternoon. Less than 30 minutes from the hotel to the stadium parking lot, even with a huge crowd at the ballpark. The next day we took in some more sights in Detroit, easy access. A number of inexpensive good restaurants in the area despite the fact that it is a suburban area. Nice property. We will be back in we are ever in the area again.

Room Tip: since it is an atrium hotel, higher floors are a little less noisy. we were on seven and didn't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stood at the embassy suites southfield back in June while I attended the Orion music and more festival in downtown Detroit with a few friends. This hotel is located in the nice suburban town of Southfield which is about twenty minutes away by car from both the airport and downtown. One thing I noticed right when I checked into my room was it seems that the rooms can use some remodeling. The décor seems very worn and old in this property which seems to be a big difference from what is the norm in other properties on the Hilton chain.
On our second day at the hotel we noticed the toilet was not flushing properly I immediately called the front desk about the problem and someone was promptly sent up however this issue was not resolved and we needed to change rooms. The second room had the same worn furniture and the air conditioning was not up to par however we decided to suck it up and just stay with the room. The day before we were to check out I checked my bank account statement which I always do when I stay at hotels and noticed the hotel was over charging me for my room. "this was not the standard hold they take for incidentals either" again I had to go to the front desk and try to rectify the situation as this was putting a substantial hit on my bank account. needless to say I was not a happy camper.
With all this being said however I must say that the staff was courteous and tried their best to make our stay as pleasant as possible even with all the issues I was encountering during our stay. Nicole at the front desk was very helpful with speaking to my bank letting them it was a mistake on their end so that my funds can be placed back into my account immediately, in addition the rest of the staff were very helpful giving food recommendations, the female working during the managers reception was also very nice and courteous and always had a smile on her face.
A special thank you also goes out to noel who drives the courtesy vans in this property he went above and beyond from helping friends of mine find a good place to watch the hockey game to getting us to and from the concert safely and affordably to finally dropping us off at the airport to catch our flight home he was truly a professional. Because of the staff even with everything that went wrong with my stay I would consider returning to this property if I am ever back in the Detroit area. Hopefully the hotel will do some remodeling of the rooms before then.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Located at the junction of several major highways, near shopping and restaurants, this Embassy Suites looks to have been remodeled recently from top to bottom. The atrium is fresh and contemporary, and the rooms are the standard, large Embassy Suites two-room suites. There is free parking and the hotel offers free wifi, unlike most Embassy Suites. The evening reception and morning free breakfast were well done - they even had a second omelet station due to the hotel being busy. Parking is free and plentiful.

The only disappointment was the pool area - although it has a nice wall of windows, it is small and not very welcoming. The staff were friendly and helpful in recommending nearby restaurants.

Room Tip: There is no noise from the highways in the rooms, so any room is fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Harrisburg, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The complimentary breakfast was one of the best ever! The service was great and the room was awesome. My family of 4 had plenty of room. If we were ever in that area again, I would not hesitate to make a reservation at this hotel. The breakfast itself would be worth the stay. The FREE parking is also a nice feature.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel is not at all what they promise it to be. The hotel staff was not helpful at all, did not know their own check in process/Procedure. Extremely dissatisfied with my stay and do not recommend anyone to waste their precious dollars at this mediocre hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

ESMGMT, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and we came up short of delivering a hospitality experience consistent with your expectations. Please be assured that your review will be taken into consideration so that we may improve our guests’ in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality you anticipated.

As I am the Account Director for the company you travel for I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you personally regarding your challenges. I can be reached at 248.350.7007 or gail.major2@hilton.com.

Again, thank you very much for your review and we sincerely hope that you will provide us a future opportunity to regain your confidence while visiting our hotel.

Gail Major
Horsham, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Met all of our needs as a large group of people attending a nearby conference venue. We all enjoyed our stay very much and will seriousy consider staying here next July as well. We appreciated the lobby area for small group gatherings at night. The pool was a hit with the children and young people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Been to Embassy Suites Detroit Southfield? Share your experiences!