“Experience it for yourself, I enjoyed it!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 19 hotels in Southfield

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Portage
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

After booking a room at the Hawthorne I read the reviews and became a little frightened because most of them were bad. However when I got to my suite it was clean. Although it had a kitchen there were no pots , pans or dishes which could be used. (Residential Inns supply those in their suites) therefore the kitchen served no use for us. Overall the rooms were decent/clean, and everything worked. TV upstairs had no remote.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Ajay D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to offer feedback on your stay. I am happy we exceeded your expectations. One of the most rewarding aspects of my job is hearing great feedback from valued guests like you. Thank you again, and we look forward to being of service to you for all of your future stays in the area. Regards ,Ajay Dutt, GM
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Worst hotel I have stayed at in years. Thought that since Wyndham was in the name that it would be acceptable. Had four rooms until one was acceptable. Broken toilet, smoke detector was covered with plastic bag, rooms not vacuumed, countertop had very large red stain, no mattress cover,...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We have corrected the issues you had outlined in your feedback. We hope to be of service to you in the future. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. Regards, Ajay Dutt, GM
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I've read the other reviews about this hotel but i still decided to stay and to my surprise i was treated with much respect. In particular a supervisor name Cameron was very helpful at first i wasn't satisfied with my room and he came and brought it up to par and even checked in on me to make sure i was completely satisfied. It's experiences like this one that makes me happy at Wyndham hotels

Room Tip: I stayed in 1512
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ossineke, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was probably a nice place at one time, but it has not been maintained, and there are some serious design flaws:
Parking: All of the parking near our room was full. We had to park in a driveway to unload as the nearest open space was quite some distance from the room. Luckily, some cars left and we were able to park, though still not very close.

Stairs: In order to get a room with 2 beds, we had to take a "Penthouse" room which of course, is upstairs and there are no elevators. There was a golfball and a bottle of shampoo on steps. The golfball I kicked out of the way before anyone could trip, the shampoo was in the corner so not a serious danger. It was still there the next day when we left. The stairs are outside and while covered, the rain blew in on us.

Room: The room itself wasn't bad, quite large, high ceilings. Consisted of a living room, kitchen and a bedroom with a king bed, and a full, but small, bath. There was a second bedroom in a loft, complete with a full, but again small, bath. The stairs were quite steep, but at least not narrow and decent step width. BUT, the handrail is an accident, or death, waiting to happen. The bottom mounting point was loose, and the top had one screw loose, and one almost out. Only the center was close to being safe.

Kitchen: Not bad, has a fridge, stove and microwave. No pots, pans dishes or silverware, so unless you travel with your own...

Downstairs bathroom: Top hinge of the bathroom door was off making door hard to open and close:

Upstairs bathroom: Knob on inside of bathroom very loose, if it comes off, someone could be trapped in there. Shower curtain. Some of the mounting screws were out, so the bar sagged in the middle causing the shower curtain to slide into the center. I finally managed to wedge one hook into the mounting bracket and keep at least one end closed so as not to flood the bathroom.

Downstairs TV: The cable was disconnected, probably by a guest, but still, someone should be checking stuff like that and to make sure the TV works. Remote didn't work. TV Upstairs, remote was missing (I tried the one from downstairs thinking they could have been mixed up, but no luck)

Cash Deposit: There is a cash deposit required, though they did waive it this time, we were told that next time it would not be. $50 for standard rooms, $100 for penthouse. I've NEVER heard tell of this at any motel/hotel I've stayed at, especially when you're paying by credit card.

Breakfast: Food was good. Selection wasn't big, but better than a lot of places. However, they decided to vacuum and mop the floors during breakfast hours. The vacuum wasn't exactly a quiet model either. So much for being able to talk during breakfast.

Staff: Honestly, I didn't run into the rude staff that others have talked about. I did however witness what appeared to be a managment level person repremanding an employee for something that hadn't been done the day before. This was by the doors in the lobby. Seriously, this was NOT the proper place for this discussion. It clearly should have been done in an office out of public areas.

Cleaning: For the most part, the room seemed clean, even the bathtubs were fairly clean. I didn't see any mold or mildew as I frequently do in other places. However there's still the matter of the shampoo and golfball on the steps. Grant it, someone could have put them there moments before I got there, however, the shampoo was still there then next day. And the worst offence of all, Dirty Dishes! When we arrived there were dirty dishes outside the room door! The beds were all made and the room clean so I can't beleive that they had not cleaned after the previous guests had left, but why were the dishes left? The were still there when we left the next day. I didn't see any rats as others have mentioned, but if they're leaving dirty dishes out, It's little wonder.

Noice: It was pretty quiet even for being in the building closest to the road. I don't recall any road noice. If there was, it was low enough not to be an issue.

As I said at the start, it was probably a very nice place at one time, and probably could be again, but it needs work. As it is, it's a one star (And that's being generous) motel with 3 or 4 star pricing. It might be better to go to a 2 star and go out for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Southfield? Share your experiences!