“Security Issues and smelled of smoke” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
CARMEL
“Security Issues and smelled of smoke”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The doors to the rooms did not lock unless you slammed the door. I had to request that my room not be cleaned because I feared that if the housekeeping staff did not SLAM the door shut, anyone could enter. Literally, you can push in the front doors of the room if it had not been slammed shut. Seems like a concern.

Also, the remote for the TV was missing. The room smelled like smoke and was a significant amount of moisture in the air. I had to have all of my clothes dry cleaned after leaving. The appliances were not maintained. I envision that this was a beautiful hotel when it was built, but lack of upkeep has allowed it to deteriorate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Ajay D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provde us feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Ajay Dutt
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
DETROIT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

the only issue i had with my visit.....there were no covers or sheets for the sofa bed usually there are dishes there were none..n the furniture needs to b clean..also there was trash in the kitchen grabage can

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Ajay Dutt
GM
Hawthorn Suites
Southgate, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

we arrived at check in time to set up both rooms for our anniversary me n my mate we had two rooms on the third floor it was not so clean smelled like smoke we had broken draws in the bathroom shower n tub was dirty bed wasn't made correctly stains on the chair. pull out bed cushions was worn out bed was not comfortable stains were on the floor no tissues in either bathrooms glad we brought or own had company of 6 people in each room that includes my mate and I we had smokers in the rooms so they went to smoke outside but was told by two black males that looked like bouncer to go back in the room in smoke before we get put out (BUT WAS TOLD NO SMOKING IN THE ROOM) and there were to many kids that were not being supervised that were booking the rooms and i even saw strippers on premises and shortly after we were asked to leave when contacted the front desk they were not able to tell me Why i was being evicted they just told me that security said i should be evicted and couldn't tell me why. So after this we went to the front desk and at least asked for an partial refund for the inconvenience but was denied and in the middle of the night we had to find another hotel which was more money out of pockets because we had a nice amount of out of town guest who had no where to sleep.

Room Tip: Always review customer reviews before booking biggest mistake i ever made.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ajay D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay..We have corrected the issues you had outlined in your feedback. We hope to be of service to you in the future. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

Ajay Dutt, GM
CLEVELAND
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was put in a room with a TV that tube is going out and couldnt get another room and Saturday once I returned my room wasnt.cleaned and I didnt get any fresh towels for me ory guest... The visit before this one my reservation was messed up and before that my room had a couch that was tore up so this is my last visit EVER!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Ajay Duttm GM
Warren, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have heard lots of negative comments about this hotel - so I didn't expect much when I booked it for my sisters bachelorette party. My husband also booked a room too for the bachelor party the same night.

If you come prepared it will be livable. My husbands room was ok. Needed to freshen up the air. Which I already had tons of air frenshener and airwick to maintain the freshness.

The pull out bed in his room was horrible. Very hard and the springs were broken.

In my room, the room initially smelled like marijuana. I had to spray, spray and spray. I also had tons of Lysol and airwicks for this room too. I cleaned all the bathrooms with scrubbing bubbles and lysol , lite candes and throughly cleaned the kitchen from the fridge to the microwave with lysol. I also sprayed the beds down with bed beg spray. ( although I never saw any) just in case.

I also brought an air mattress to go on top of our pull out bed, ( the springs were broken also) which made it comfy. Other two beds were comfy.

We had the penthouse suite. Very roomy and nice layout. By the time the girls got there for the party the room was fresh and ready for a great night. Parking is pretty tight , you may just have to walk a little , but we got lucky and always had a close spot.

We did call the front desk because the tv was not working on the aux channel, no one ever came.

For the price , it was a great location , as we went to the dream cruise, and partying downtown- very centrally located. The room was large and very roomy. I would just say come prepared and you'll be fine- if you want to save.

I agree you shouldn't have to do all that but I think it was worth the savings and prefect for a one night party- not really cool for out of towners or a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Bring cleaning supplies and air frenshener!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Ajay D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, September 26, 2014
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to offer feedback on your stay. I am happy we exceeded your expectations. One of the most rewarding aspects of my job is hearing great feedback from valued guests like you. Thank you again, and we look forward to being of service to you for all of your future stays in the area. Regards ,Ajay Dutt, GM
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We arrived late at night and just wanted to get some sleep. First room we were assigned smelled like smoke, had a broken pull out couch. Second room (which we paid more for) had 2 acceptable beds. The rooms were outdated, carpets stained, showers dirty and there was only 1 cup in the whole kitchen!
The staff was pleasant.
Kind manager gave us our room at a 50% discount due to our dissatisfaction.
Avoid this hotel!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ajay D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We have corrected the issues you had outlined in your feedback. We hope to be of service to you in the future. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. Regards, Ajay Dutt, GM
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The rooms are out dated and nasty. The furniture was visibly stained. Checked out several rooms and even the "updated" room was horrible. If this is the last hotel room in the city... sleep in your car.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Southfield? Share your experiences!