“very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Windsor, Canada
“very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Stayed here over nite for a pleasure trip. Very nice hotel. There was one odd thing. When we booked the room, and gave our Sheraton Rewards account, the reservationist upgraded us to the club floor. The only problem, when we checked in, we discovered that there was, in fact, no "club floor" amenities. It was just a regular floor with no club lounge, or other facilites.

Hmmm, kind of strange...

Otherwise, a first rate establishment..

Dave.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
southfieldhotelman, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
Thank you for the gift of feedback and referring to The Westin Southfield Detroit as a first rate facility. I apologize over the confusion regarding our executive level rooms. Although we don't have a club lounge we do provide upgraded in room amenities such as complimentarty bottled water and additional bath amenities. I will reinforce this difference with our call center so future Guests aren't affected. We are looking forward to a repeat visit when you are in the Detroit Area in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

The staff was very welcoming and helpful. Everyone from the front desk to the restaurant staff was quite friendly and accommodating - my favourite character was the omelet guy at the breakfast bar...always smiling and happy to see us! Oh, and great coffee there too - I'm fussy about coffee, so their brew made for a pleasant morning.

The weekend special was found on their website as $89 per night that included internet (in-room plug-in connection) and buffet breakfast (pretty good with lots of fresh fruit, cereals, etc and the usual eggs, bacon, etc...and omelet bar). We felt that this special was particularly good, and so thought it a great value. Though there was a restaurant, we only didn't eat any other meals besides the breakfast.

When our little kid saw on the website that they offered children a kids package upon arrival (a package of kiddie things), but they were out when we checked....resulting in a saddened kid :-( BUT the front desk countered that dampened enthusiasm and offered up a free Disney movie to put a back smile on their face! :-) I'm glad that they rescued that one...whew!

The pool is nice, but it's only three feet deep, so no diving or cannon balls. Our child loved
it, as they could stand everywhere in the pool. It was surprisingly warm, and so was the jacuzzi, but enjoyably so.

Comfortable beds and super-clean bathroom. Not an inspirational room, but definitely clean and fully updated. Nice lobby with spacious sitting areas and a lovely fountain. There's plentiful garage parking too (we didn't do the valet that's available). I'd assume that the place is hopping busy with conferences too, as there's multiple meeting rooms and ballrooms.

We'd stay again if there was another "deal" weekend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
I am glad you found our Weekend Special at The Westin Southfield a great value. I apologize for not having the Kid's Club bag available and will share your comments accordingly. It was nice to see the quick thinking of our front desk to offer up a Disney movie. I am sure we will have more weekend specials and look forward to your return.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

The Southfield Westin is like every other Westin I've stayed at, excellent quality for the money. Getting a great rate on Hotwire made it an even better value.

The beds are as comfortable as any hotel bed I've ever had. The soundproofing is excellent and the drapes keep out all light, so you can really sleep well. The room is nicely furnished with a medium size flatscreen TV, a loveseat/fold out bed, a good size desk and lots of countertop space. The decor is muted beige and browns, with sepia colored prints, all very soothing and low key. The bath has a double headed shower, although rather low (about 5' 6") with the usual amenities including a hairdryer, iron and ironing board.

The restaurant feels more like a breakfast area without much style, but the food is good quality and reasonably priced. The hotel has a superb location, being right at an entrance ramp to the freeway and half a block from an exit ramp. Unfortunately, I was not able to find any sit down restaurants in the area although there was a strip mall of fast food restaurants (Chinese, sub shop, Tim Hortons, Mexican, etc.) just a block away. The hotel is in an office park surrounded by mainly residential areas. A very nice touch is the free parking garage attached to the back of the hotel although it could have had clearer signage on how to exit the garage.

Service was friendly and efficient although I didn't have any problems or needs, so I didn't require much in the way of service. All in all everything was just fine at this four star hotel which is the only four star hotel in the Southfield area. It is a very comfortable and convenient place to stay and would be my top choice in the Southfield area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for the nice feedback about The Westin Southfield. I am pleased that our convenient location, great staff and facilities met your expectations.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Sometimes, when customer service is so good it often gets overlooked. I try to make an effort to note when the service is above and beyond the ordinary, as it is at the Westin Southfield, the service deserves special mention.

When I checked into the Westin Southfield it was after a very long day and I was exhausted. I entered the hotel in a tired daze, said my name to the person behind the front desk and was quickly given my key for the room and told me I had king size bed and asked if there was anything I needed at the moment, I said I was tired and just needed some rest and was told that if there was anything I needed to be sure and call the front desk, the person gave me her name and told me that I could ask for her personally and she would make sure I was assisted so that my stay was as pleasant as possilble. How often do you get that level of customer service? I'm going to guess that the answer is not enough.

I like the fact that you need to use your key card to operate the elevator. Some people may find this to be nuisance but it is an extra level of security which makes good sense.

Arriving at the fourth floor, I noticed that everything was so spotless and very tasteful. I just felt like I was in a classy hotel and when I opened the door to my room, I knew that this hotel was a gem. The room was beautiful. The room didn't have that generic hotel room vibe but instead looked like it had been put together by a designer and with good taste. It felt every bit like a 4 star hotel.

Wonderful bed. Great linens. A wide selection of pillows (from soft and mushy to firm). Flat screen HD television with a decent selection of HD stations. A spacious desk. Very nice bathroom, decent sized tub, good lighting.

My room overlooked the highway which passes in front of the hotel. I've read some complaints that this is a drawback because of the highway noise, but I was on the fourth floor and couldn't hear the cars at all. In fact I found the view fascinating. I've stayed at a number of hotels and have had views of empty lots, an air shaft, and I once stayed in a room that had no window at all. I found the highway to be extremely peaceful. From the bed I could see the car lights as they moved along the highway, it was like watching neon water flow down a stream. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Every Westin employee I encountered said good morning or evening, asked if I needed any assistance. And this, surrounded by a stylish building, fine decor, it all gave a feeling of what real class is and how things ought to be. I have always thought that it much easier to be pleasant and helpful than surly or detached. The people at the Westin Southfield have figured this out as well.

Ample parking is available for free, right in front of the hotel, plus there is a huge lot behind the hotel; you will not want for parking. The hotel LAN connection is a pay-for-use link, but the wi-fi is free and while the signal faded once or twice, on the whole is was good (could be better, but that is my only complaint.)

There are lots of restaurants nearby, many within walking distance and the area feels safe. I walked around and felt very comfortable.

If you are going to Detroit for business or for pleasure. The Westin Southfield is a smart pick. There are some fine hotels in downtown Detroit but there is no parking downtown so you have to use the valet services, an extra expense. The Westin has easy access to Detroit, a 15 minute drive downtown and like I said, you are just off the highway. Very convenient.

This is a 4 star hotel that deserves its stars. A class act all around. Luxurious, comfortable, convenient and doing business the way it should be done.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, June 17, 2010
WOW...what great comments about The Westin Southfield. Thank you for the generous feedback. I will be certain to share these wonderful comments with my team. It's comments like yours that inspire us to continue to push to be the best hotel in Southfield.

Vernal, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

We were in the Southfield area helping a family member relocate, and had to quickly grab a room for the night.
Chose this hotel because it was close, had very easy access from the freeway, and was in a safe area.
Check in was unbelievable fast and very friendly. Parking was a breeze, and it was free too!
Our room was decorated with warm and homey colors and accents. It was surprisingly spacious, and comfortable. Once you closed the door, the outside world disappeared.
The bathroom was large, and the duel headed shower was to die for!
I cannot say enough good about our experience here.
YES! We will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your gift of feedback about your recent stay at The Westin Southfield. I am pleased to hear you found the property easy to navigate, convenient and provided the comforts you come to expect from a "4" Diamond hotel. I look forward to your return.

CALIFORINA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Westin Southfield is very nice! We traveled to the Westin Southfield for a 75th Birthday Banquet. In May 2010 The Westin Southfield is located in the Civic Center of Southfield, MI . Central location to many cities in MI. The hotel has easy access to all the major freeways. The hotel is nice well manicured and clean inside and out. The event and planning department made planning the event from another state easy. The hotel staff is always ready to help. A major plus for people traveling with pets. The hotel caters to dogs. The hotel provides a heavenly bed for your dog. They also have food and water bowls. All pet accommodations are at no extra charge.

The hotel rooms were well kept and clean. The hotel staff will give you a $5 restaurant credit if you don’t require housekeeping for a day which is nice. The room is stocked with Starbucks coffee for free. The room comes with a refrigerator which is not freely accessible. You must request a key to use it and it cost $3. The internet in the room is $16 a day. But you can use the business center downstairs for free. The room didn’t have a view it was over looking the freeway. Other then that the hotel was nice. I would give it a thumb up.

The event planning process was smooth. We had an event in the TC Private Room. Everything was provided as promised. The event staff was amazing and professional. The food was great! If you need to have an event I would recommended this hotel. The Southfield Westin is a hotel I will visit again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, June 5, 2010
Your gift of feedback is greatly appreciated. I am pleased we were able to meet your needs during your recent visit. I will share you comments with our staff.

findingmyamerica.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I'm on a year-long road trip and stay mostly at two star motels, with an occasional three or four star thrown in as a treat. The Westin in Southfield is rated at four stars, and is decently appointed, with a super comfortable bed, a great shower, and attention to housekeeping detail, but overall I didn't feel that the amenities were exceptional enough to merit four stars. There were just no "extras" (like a bathrobe, a full-size coffee maker, real cream for coffee, evening cocktail hours, etc.) that made my stay at the Westin feel special. Service, however, was very good and I appreciated that the parking garage always had spaces close to the elevator. There's a great little coffee shop called Biggby's right around the corner, and several good restaurants within a reasonable driving distance.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Thank you for the thoughtful comments regarding amenities you expect during your stay. On your next visit these items are available upon request. I also appreciate the nice comments about our housekeeping cleanliness and attention to detail. I will be sure to pass your comments onto our staff. They love the gift of feedback.

Regards,

Been to The Westin Southfield Detroit? Share your experiences!