“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 hotels in Southfield
Columbus, Ohio
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The ice machine on our floor wasn't working, the sofa bed didn't have sheets/blankets. Called front desk and was told someone would bring us ice (they never did!) and that the sheets/blankets weren't provided as they wanted them to be "fresh". I guess its ok for the sheets on the bed to be older than the sheets on the sofa bed! The Heavenly Shower was minus 1 shower head for "water consumption", there was a lock on the fridge and had to pay it you unlocked it and our Heavenly Bed made more noise than that of a low budget hotel bed. The walls are very thin could hear the person in the next room using their blow dryer. And its located off a highway and you could hear all the traffic. Needless to say we won't be staying there again!

Room Tip: Don't get a room with a freeway view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Please accept our sincerest apologies for any issues that made your experience less than impeccable. Our primary goal is to provide a refreshing and comfortable stay for each of our guests and it seems we missed the mark with your stay. As our sofa beds are not used as often, linens are not placed on them until they are needed and we do regret that you did not receive yours in a timely manner. Your gift of feedback helps us to continually improve the experience for future guests and we are truly grateful that you took the time to alert us of the issues that occurred during your stay. Thank you for your review and be well.

344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I just finished 8 weeks worth of stays at this property. To sum things up, this hotel is tired and aging, just like the city around it. I guess that shouldn't be much of a surprise, but for the price they charge, and brand they represent, it really should be better and more consistent.

The Good:
-Comfortable Westin Bed, though it does feel a bit old
-Staff is definitely friendly and tries to be helpful
-Room service food is high quality for hotel food and definitely better than average
-If you need to be in Southfield, the location has great highway access

The Bad:
-Property just feels tired, and many maintenance items, such as just about every single key card lock could use replacing/updating
-VERY slow elevators, sometimes waits approach 5 minutes, and again, the key cards rarely worked to access your room, which contributes to the slowness
-The gym is a joke. Smaller than most hotels 1/3 the size. Sometimes the A/C is on, sometimes its not. Sometimes there are towels, sometimes there are not. They need to get rid of the indoor pool, 3 ft. deep, too small to swim laps in pool and expand the gym over to that area. I highly doubt anyone goes to the Westin Southfield for the indoor pool.
-Spotty Service - As I mentioned above, everyone is nice, but the property is very inconsistent. From forgetting to bring me my room service order, to slow check-ins with inconsistent SPG acknowledgement, to missing items in rooms, to false fire alarms that they can't turn off, yet make no announcements about until 20 minutes later, the property is not deserving of the Westin brand.
-The Shower, it is designed for someone at most 5'8" tall. At 6'4, I have to almost sit down to get my head under the showerhead, which also looks like it is from 1985.

All in all, the property is definitely not a bad place to stay, but I wanted to give it 2 stars, as I do not think it is deserving of the Westin brand. If it were a Sheraton, I would give it 3-stars and call it a day, as a Westin, it is a 2-star property.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the non-highway side to avoid noise. Ask for a room on the 3rd floor so you don...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
It is certainly disappointing to hear that your extended stay with us was not as enjoyable as it should have been. It is always our goal to provide the most rejuvenating and totally refreshing experience for our guests and it seems we missed several opportunities to do just that during your stay. We do appreciate you reaching out to us and letting us know about the issues you faced and we will be sure to address each point with the appropriate departments within our hotel. We do hope to be able to welcome you back for the stay that you have come to associate with the Westin brand and offer our sincerest apologies for the challenging stay you recently had. Thank you and stay well.
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Went to Detroit as i never had been before, so i wanted to check it out. Definitely a car place: nice big streets; You need a car to go anywhere and everywhere. Had a nice visit. Detroit gets a bad rap. its actually not a bad place.We had a nice stay. Not much within walking distance of the hotel though, in fact , even with a car, was quite a ways away from any commercial offerings. Initially had an issue with the room>smelled like smoke , but Homer at the front desk took care of us right away. Hot tub was the hottest I've had in a while; very good. Food and service at the restaurant was quick and attentive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at The Westin Southfield Detroit. While we are positioned outside of downtown Detroit, we do enjoy a convenient location to many area attractions and easy access to major highways which can make your trip into the city effortless. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the dining options within our hotel and look forward to greeting you again in the future. Thank you for your review. Be well.
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Clean and classy from lobby to room. All interactions with staff were friendly and professional. Loved the shower with two heads and the beds will give you one of your best night's sleep ever.
Thermostat adjusted to very comfortable room temperature and was quiet (at other hotels, sometimes I find it too cold when blowers are on and too hot when blowers are off). Restaurant meals were ok but service was very good. Makes me want to visit Detroit again...well...at least Southfield and the Westin.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
We’re absolutely pleased to hear that your recent visit to The Westin Southfield Detroit has inspired you to return to the area! Our Associates strive to provide the most attentive care to our guests and we’re very happy that you received a refreshing night’s sleep in our Heavenly Bed. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and we thank you for your review. Until then, be well.
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My overall stay at this Westin was very positive. My particular pros/con's are below:

Pros:
* Parking - free parking in a garage or in an open parking lot. I never had an issue finding a spot available within the gargage which was very convenient considering that it rained several times during my 2 day stay.
* Service- Front desk staff was very nice and the other staff members that I interacted with were also very friendly and helpful.
* Room - Very nice, clean room. Bed was super comfortable. Bathroom was clean with no issues.
* Quick access to the main highways so getting around is pretty easy.
* Pool/ Hot Tub - combination of both were great. Teamps of both were excellent. Definitely was a great start to my work day.

Con's:
* wifi - there is none. Had to connect a Cat 5 network cable in order to have internet in the room. Good thing is that we weren't charged for it.
* Dining Options - Not many options for dining out that won't require you to hop in your car and take a 15-20 minute drive.
* FItness room - if you're not using a treadmill, it's limited on options. 1 multi-exercise machine is a little outdated and the free weights area is cramped if 2 people are trying to work out at the same time.

Overall it's a very nice place to stay and one that we recommend to all of our company business travelers that are visiting in the area. I'll stay again for my next trip in a few months.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We sincerely appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit. The gift of feedback that we receive from our guests gives us the ability to continually improve the experience for future guests and we are sincerely grateful for yours. We’re happy to hear that our Associates, convenient location and luxurious accommodations all made for a memorable stay and we will take into consideration your comments about our Fitness Center. Thank you for your review and we look forward to greeting you again soon. Stay well.
Colt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We booked our room on the internet at a discounted price that was unbelievable. This motel was awesome! The lobby was like a mall. The elevators were fast! We were on the 6th floor. The parking garage that was attached to the motel was complimentary with your stay. We ate dinner at the motel. It was very pricey but we didn't want to get out in this neighborhood after dark. We felt very safe inside the motel. It is located in a commercial district of Southfield. The view from our room was a housing project ( a very well kept one). The room was extremely large with two chairs in a sitting area. The shower had 2 showerheads and the water pressure was great. The bed was comfy and everything was clean and fresh. There is a charge for use of the internet, so don't connect unless you want to pay. I connected and it was slower than dial-up. I quickly reported it to the front desk and they took the charge off my bill. I had my own internet on my phone so i used that instead. Check out was at noon and we slept in without being disturbed. checkout was speedy and the desk clerk was very friendly!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your gift of feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Southfield Detroit. We’re thrilled that you found everything to your liking in our hotel and were able to enjoy a refreshing night’s sleep on our renowned Heavenly Bed. It’s always wonderful to hear when a guest appreciates the wonderful amenities that make our hotel an exceptional place to stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and until then, be well.
Chicago, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I didn't have much time to really check out the hotel as my delayed flight had me arriving just after 2am. I was surprised and frustrated that there was a line to check in at this time and the front desk person did not seem to be any rush to expedite the process. The room itself was nice, but needed some maintenance (one phone didn't work, a light bulb was out, etc.)

There were two saving graces. First, they have a minimal late night menu so I was at least able to grab a quick bite in my room while getting ready for my morning meeting. Second, there were two very helpful gentlemen in the valet department. When I walked in at 2am after finally finding the place even with GPS, the guy cleaning up the lobby offered to valet park my car and was so nice about it. He was also the person who brought up my sandwich incredibly fast 20 minutes later. The next day I forgot to call down in advance for my car, but another valet still had it waiting out front by the time I got off the elevator.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
It’s nice to hear that our Associates were able to assist you during your stay as we wish for all our guests to have a renewing and well-rested experience while at The Westin Southfield Detroit. We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered and will be sure to have your room inspected for any fixes that may need to be attended to. Thank you for reaching out to us and we hope to be able to welcome you back for the refreshing experience you expect from us. Stay well.

Been to The Westin Southfield Detroit? Share your experiences!