“Don't Know Detroit, Stay at the Southfield Westin” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Ontario, Canada
“Don't Know Detroit, Stay at the Southfield Westin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were heading to Detroit for a Wings hockey game and the prices in the downtown core were very expense so I had to look at other options. Since I was not familiar with the good and bad areas of Detroit I decided to stay with a hotel chain I was familiar. I chose the Southfield Westin and it was very nice. The location is central to the Detroit area so we had easy access to major roads(15-20 minutes to the Joe Louis Area). The hotel is in a business park with a large Microsoft building next door so the neighbourhood was safe. The parking was free and being a Starwood member, I received a rate that was half the price of the downtown Westin. The room was very clean, the bed was comfortable and the hotel was very quite on the weekend, probably because of the lack business traffic they would normal have only during the week.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We couldn’t be more pleased than to learn that your entire experience at The Westin Southfield Detroit was enjoyable. With our slightly removed location outside of the hustle and bustle of Detroit, we can offer our guests a restful retreat and quiet oasis to enjoy their time spent here. We hope you enjoyed the hockey game and look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Thank you for your review. Be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

First, we probably couldn't afford to stay in this nice of a place except that we got a great rate here through Hotwire. So we didn't really pick it out per se' but nonetheless we did stay there. The room was nice, quiet, and the bed was really comfortable with a whole gaggle of pillows. There was Starbucks coffee in the room as well as complimentary bottled water. We were on a fun weekend to metro and the location was only 20 minutes from downtown so we were good with the location. Free parking was available which I appreciated. The hot tub ..... FINALLY someone has a hot tub hot enough for me. If it doesn't take your breath away for a moment it isn't hot enough. This one was. Awesome! No sauna but the hot tub was hot enough so I got over it. They make room service optional but we forgot to put our notice out the night before so we got full room service the next day but it was nice to come back to a fully made up room. We had a great stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We are so glad that we had the opportunity to welcome you as a guest at The Westin Southfield Detroit. A nice relaxing soak in our hot tub is certainly a great way to relax after a fun-filled weekend in Detroit and we’re thrilled that our Heavenly Beds® provided you with a refreshing night’s sleep. Your gift of feedback is truly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back for another stay soon. Be well.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Location: right off the highway in a large office complex. I did not see any nearby retail or restaurants;
Staff: Checkin was quick and staff pleasant;
Room: Clean, large and Starwood basic. Bed very comfortable, large bathroom, room lighting poor. Although the room was basicly quite, I could hear our neighbours in mad passion with sound traveling through the wall or the ventalation system...
Wifi: No free room wifi even in the lobby. I wanted to check my email in the lobby and asked if the hotel had public wifi, no I needed to spend $9.95 or go to the business centre. I do not understand why a hotel would not provide even basic wifi in the hotel lobby. I understand that a hotel wants capture whatever revenue they can, but today Wifi is a necessity for travellers. I find it unacceptable that a hotel would not provide this basic service in the lobby.
Summary: Hotel is OK for a short stay. Although it is rated 4* I would rate it a solid ***1/2

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
While we’re very happy to read that certain aspects of your stay were enjoyable, we are a bit puzzled by your statement regarding wi-fi. Like so many other hotels, there is a small charge for in-room internet access, but we are very happy to offer complimentary access in all of the public areas of our hotel. Thank you for alerting us to this issue and we will have our IT Associates look into any potential problems. We would hope for the chance to welcome you back very soon. Stay well.
Sierra Foothills, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a fine Westin property, and a good value almost any time of year. But especially the winter, when few need to be in Detroit! The property is aging a bit, so I think this reflects in the rates. But it is very comfortable and great staff. The food can be hit or miss- OK menu, but occasionally slow service or inattention to the prep.

Beds are always comfortable, rooms well insulated. You get sunrise on one side, sunset on the other. If you want to sleep in, pick a sunset side!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
We couldn’t be more pleased than to learn that your stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit was enjoyable and we appreciate your gift of feedback. Your gracious acknowledgement of our Associates is so kind and we look forward to sharing your comments with them. It was a pleasure to welcome you as a guest and we look forward to greeting you again soon. Until then, be well.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I flew in to Detroit for 16 hours for a wedding, stopped at the hotel to check in which went just fine, dropped my stuff in the room and found the room to be nice and large, and I came back to sleep hours later until I left at 6am. The bed was comfortable and I couldn't hear people in the hallway so I was pleased. Overall it was fine and I had no complaints. Paid about $125 for the night which I thought was cheap.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
We are delighted to know that your recent experience at The Westin Southfield Detroit was a success and we do hope that you enjoyed yourself at the wedding. Our Heavenly Beds provide the perfect environment to fully rest and wake up refreshed after an exciting evening out. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back very soon and we thank you for your review. Stay well.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here for the Superbowl Weekend with family and friends. Staff was friendly and the service was excellent. Our room was clean and the beds were WOW! I slept perfectly. Starbucks coffee in the rooms. The only problem we did have briefly was we couldn't get the heat to kick up . I just happened to mention it to the engineer on the elevator , he asked my room number , and voila , when we returned to our room that night.... we had heat.... I didn't eat in the restaurant, but the food looked good. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Westin Southfield Detroit. We’re thrilled that your first time staying with us was so enjoyable and we truly appreciate your gift of feedback. As always, it is a true pleasure for our Associates to create a memorable stay for each of our guests and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon. Be well.
Lymm, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

You dont mind paying a little bit extra for the food when staying in a hotel but there is a limit; waiting an hour for your main isn't what you expect. 2nd, when your main comes and its meant to be asparagus and it's replaced by cold brocoli, you don't expect to be off handerly told that , they 'didnt have any left' without apology; then paying $18.95 for a mediocre breakfast is not what you expect....and then overcharging for a bottle of wine...$48 was well over priced.
So, ok for location but abit average really

• Stayed February 2013
It is the goal of The Westin Southfield Detroit to provide our cherished guests with the very best service and when we fall short of doing that, it is important for us to know. Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your recent stay, and please accept our apologies that your dining experience was not more enjoyable. Your experience will be shared with our Restaurant Ambassadors in the hopes of correcting any future problems. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future and thank you for your review. Stay well.

Been to The Westin Southfield Detroit? Share your experiences!