“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Savannah, Georgia
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was in Detroit to attend to family business for 4 days. This hotel's location is central to everything you may need to do. It's not the easiest to get to as it is located inside of an office park.

The service was great from the valet to the front desk personnel. Check in was a breeze and I found that valet was far less expensive than most hotels at 15.00 per night.

The room was clean, beds comfortable and as a woman traveling alone I felt safe.

The gym was clean with plenty of up to date equipment. It is next to the pool so you do get the chlorine smell in the gym.

My only complaint would be that my tub had a slow running drain. I also found an old take out container under the bed missed by housekeeping.

Other than that I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit. We're pleased to learn that our location, dedicated Associates and refreshing accommodations made your family business trip more enjoyable. Our Housekeeping Associates have been informed as to the condition of your room and will be sure, going forward, to pay extra attention to every aspect of our guestrooms. We would be delighted to welcome you back very soon and until then, be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My company had reserved this hotel for me and a couple of my team mates, and i had not read any reviews before checking in to the hotel. The hotel was good looking from the outside, and had easy access form the freeway.

The parking was adequate and free - but from the parking level, you have to take stairs/elevator to go down to the lobby, which seemed a little inconvenient at the time of checking in. The check-in process was smooth with no surprises - but we (i.e. everyone form my team who were traveling together) all got rooms on different floors - it would have saved us some time in coordinating in the morning & working if we were on the same floor.

To access the room, we had to use the room key in the elevator - which is a big inconvenience every time you have to go to the room from the lobby/parking level. My room was an even numbered room, so it was facing the parking structure behind the hotel - which was not a great view - as you can expect.

Upon entering the room - there was a stale smell in the closet, but otherwise the room was clean and tidy, and the bathroom also looked maintained. However, i soon realized that there wasn't even a single full length mirror in my room and neither there was any water bottles. My team mates all got their rooms with both these things, and so i called up and told them about the water bottles (coz i could do without the full length mirror). The shower was this weird double headed shower and was at a low height for me - i had to bend my knees everytime, if i wanted the water to reach my shoulders.

The paid wifi was painfully slow, and I couldn't connect to my corporate network most of the times. The breakfast buffet had very limited variety, and wasn't all that delicious - but it was very expensive for a buffet. Ordering a-la-carte for the breakfast was definitely cheaper, but very time consuming as the wait staff was only 1 person serving the entire dining hall.

One advantage of this hotel was that it was connected to the towers in which my office is located, so it was a convenience to go to office. I did not get a chance to use the gym and pool, so I cannot comment on that.

Also, since this was a company booked hotel, the hotel staff refused to add my SPG# to the stay - even for the extra I spent once i was at the hotel - for food/room service etc!!!

Overall, it was definitely an average experience, with average room decor and amenities, and average dining. The hotel staff was very helpful though and they provided me with a couple of things I had forgot to bring with me.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms dont have a good view - they face the parking lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
It is truly our goal to provide our guests with an exceptional experience, from our guest's safety to their comfort; we take each aspect very seriously. Please accept our sincerest apologies that your recent business trip was not more enjoyable. While we are happy to learn that our convenient location worked out so well for you and our Associates fully impressed you, it is disappointing that you didn't enjoy our Heavenly Dual-Showerhead which is designed to give you double the shower pleasure. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future where we can provide you with the exceptional stay that you deserve. Stay well.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel in September 2012. The rooms are quite spaceous, and comfortable, while the beds are great. Plenty of free parking at the adjoining structure. Hotel is strategically located near the Lodge Freeway, and business centers. The furnishings in the rooms are a bit dated perhaps, with older colors and the flat screen TV does not have a very sharp HD picture. The bathrooms are nice, though that is a funky two headed shower. They had a nice breakfast buffet. Was disappointed there was a Starbucks coffee shop in the lobby that was closed both days we were staying there (on weekend).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Your gift of feedback is truly appreciated. At The Westin Southfield Detroit, we strive to provide our valued guests with the most exceptional experience possible and we're happy to read that your stay met your expectations. Starting your day with our hearty breakfast buffet is a great idea and we're happy to learn that our convenient parking and location added value to your stay. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back very soon and we thank you for your review. Be well.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I orig read the negative comments but could not truly believe that a westin could be so run down, unkept, smelly and poor service and attitude.
The only nice thing that represents a westin is the lobby and exterior of the building.

We got there bout 10 pm. I was in need of a wheelchair. I asked the Person at the desk and she told me I could ask the bellman at the other end of the lobby. Lazy.

We then got into the elevator. No one mentioned that we needed to use the card to access our room. We found out when a women entered the elevator. She did not look like she was part of the hotel but she knew were she was going.

We got tot the ninth floor and were looking forward to getting to our suite which we paid extra in order to have a nice night out which we never get.
From the second we stepped off the elevator it was down hill. The hallways smelled. Stained carpets, food and empty cups lined the hallways. The suite was old fashioned not modern as typical westin. The couch was stained in several places. The bathroom was old hotel not even marble or granite tops. The furniture was rundown and handles missing. Oh. We asked if the room had a fridge. It did. But the front desk forgot to give u a key.

We called the front desk and asked if there were other rooms available that were more cleaner and update. They told us all the other rooms are the same design and offered us the honeymoon suite. We declined as it was the same old ugly rooms just an added jacuzzi.

We checked out in 10 minutes and went to the holiday inn express next door. Although it is a much step down in ambience, we at leat got a CLEAN. And FRIENDLY staffed hotel.

We received a 4000 SPG from the hotel management via email to try to lure us back after messing up our one night away.

Suggestion to corp of westin. Shut this hotel down. Upgrade it to be modern and send the entire staff to a retraining program from lobby, to house keeping to management.

The next night we staid At the westin in the airport. Now that is a westin hotel to enjoy.

• Stayed September 2012
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
It concerns us greatly to read about your recent challenging experience at our hotel, and we do regret that you felt the atmosphere was impersonal. It seems though, that our Associates attempted to provide you with upgraded accommodations and properly directed you to the Associate that could help with your wheelchair request. We offer our sincerest apologies that your experience was not as you had expected. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff as it is important that they hear our guest's perspective. Your experience is certainly not what we strive to provide our cherished guests and we thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Be well.

Travelers are raving about these Southfield hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Clean, quiet, safe. Decent breakfast buffet and nice staff. Skyway access to business tower next door was a plus. Car service (with ipad in back seat) was cheaper than a cab. Driving from the airport during day provided a little different view of the Detroit decay than one would see at night.

Iron was broken in my room, but they brought up a brand spanking new one while I was at breakfast.

Definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
It is certainly refreshing to hear that your stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit provided you with all the conveniences necessary to make your business trip a success. As always, it is a true pleasure for our Associates to provide our guests with an exceptional experience and we're happy to see we were able to do that for you. We look forward to greeting you again in the future and we thank you for your gracious review. Until then, be well.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This Westin is located in a sort of corporate office park. Lobby and exterior feel a bit dated (70's/80's). Self-parking was free and easy. Used the fitness center, which was tiny and dirty. Room was fine, but not one of the more luxurious of the Westins in which I've stayed (and my room looked out onto the highway which was pretty loud but not overly disturbing because I was on a high floor). The best part about my stay was that my hotels.com rate gave me free breakfast. They have a great breakfast buffet every day with pretty much anything you'd want (eggs, omelets made to order, all sorts of fruit, cereals, oatmeal, bagels, etc.)! Overall, it was an ok stay for a business trip, but I'm not sure I'll stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012
At The Westin Southfield Detroit, we have put a great deal of thought into providing our guests with a balanced, revitalizing environment and we're thrilled to read that our SuperFoodsRx menu was the highlight of your stay. While it seems certain parts of your stay were enjoyable, we do regret that you were not fully impressed. Please do not hesitate to let us know immediately if there is an issue that requires our attention, as it would be our pleasure to assist you. We would hope that you would consider staying with us again so you may experience our true and renewing Westin Service. Stay well.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed at the Westin Southfield for a U of M game. Hotel is right off the interstate so it's very easy to get to Ann Arbor and Detroit. Room was a great size, but the shower had mold and was not very clean. Alarm clock was flashing and was never set by housekeeping during our stay, and for the size of the room the television was very small. Not a bad stay, the heavenly bed is great but as far as Westin hotels go - I'd opt to stay at the Westin Book Cadillac Detroit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
While we're very happy to hear that our convenient location met your needs, we are truly disappointed that your accommodations did not match the high standards we have in place to ensure a refreshing stay for our valued guests. Please accept our sincerest apologies and our thanks for informing us of your concerns. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for the exceptional stay that you deserve. Be well.

Been to The Westin Southfield Detroit? Share your experiences!