My company had reserved this hotel for me and a couple of my team mates, and i had not read any reviews before checking in to the hotel. The hotel was good looking from the outside, and had easy access form the freeway.
The parking was adequate and free - but from the parking level, you have to take stairs/elevator to go down to the lobby, which seemed a little inconvenient at the time of checking in. The check-in process was smooth with no surprises - but we (i.e. everyone form my team who were traveling together) all got rooms on different floors - it would have saved us some time in coordinating in the morning & working if we were on the same floor.
To access the room, we had to use the room key in the elevator - which is a big inconvenience every time you have to go to the room from the lobby/parking level. My room was an even numbered room, so it was facing the parking structure behind the hotel - which was not a great view - as you can expect.
Upon entering the room - there was a stale smell in the closet, but otherwise the room was clean and tidy, and the bathroom also looked maintained. However, i soon realized that there wasn't even a single full length mirror in my room and neither there was any water bottles. My team mates all got their rooms with both these things, and so i called up and told them about the water bottles (coz i could do without the full length mirror). The shower was this weird double headed shower and was at a low height for me - i had to bend my knees everytime, if i wanted the water to reach my shoulders.
The paid wifi was painfully slow, and I couldn't connect to my corporate network most of the times. The breakfast buffet had very limited variety, and wasn't all that delicious - but it was very expensive for a buffet. Ordering a-la-carte for the breakfast was definitely cheaper, but very time consuming as the wait staff was only 1 person serving the entire dining hall.
One advantage of this hotel was that it was connected to the towers in which my office is located, so it was a convenience to go to office. I did not get a chance to use the gym and pool, so I cannot comment on that.
Also, since this was a company booked hotel, the hotel staff refused to add my SPG# to the stay - even for the extra I spent once i was at the hotel - for food/room service etc!!!
Overall, it was definitely an average experience, with average room decor and amenities, and average dining. The hotel staff was very helpful though and they provided me with a couple of things I had forgot to bring with me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Near the quiet suburbs and only being 20 minutes from downtown, The Westin Southfield Detroit is near many Fortune 500 headquarters and with access to the Southfield Town Center's 5 corporate towers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Westin Southfield Detroit reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Southfield Detroit Hotel Southfield
- Westin Southfield Detroit
- Southfield Westin