“Very good business Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Very good business Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Typical Mariott services, very friendly stuff. The breakfast is average American, nothing special. The rooms a large and clean. The AirCon can be switched off, in room coffee available. Good WLAN availability. Large King Size Bed with several different pillows. Sure next time again

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Nancy D, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Southfield, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Detroit Marriott Southfield for your most recent stay. I have received your comments, and on behalf of the Marriott Detroit Southfield team, I apologize that your stay here was not up to Marriott standards you have come to expect. I have carefully read over your concerns and have discussed your comments with the approriate departments. We are always looking for ways to improve our facility and feedback is extremely important to our team. We have also discussed your comments regarding the road condition with the City of Southfield as we look to push Michigan Department of Transportation for the road repairs needed from the harsh winter we experienced. I was pleased to hear of your great experience with our internet access as we recently upgraded our entire internet system at the hotel for the fastest internet connection possible. Our upgraded is the first part of what will kick off a full renovation of the property schedule for late Fall 2014. It is through the feedback of valued guests, much like yourself, we are able to work to provide the excellence you expect with the Marriott Brand.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is one of the tired Marriott properties. The Courtyard next door seems newer and better maintained. If that doesn't bother you maybe the road leading to the hotel will. It is full of potholes which cannot be avoided and you will definitely need a wheel alignment by the time you check-out.

The room itself was on the Concierge Level so it may have been larger than the others but it is tired. There is only one spare outlet a available by the air conditioner which makes it difficult to charge all the electrical gear like computers and phones. Not a good business environment although the Internet seemed fast and easy to get on. It wa free with the room.

The staff are friendly and have lots of recommendations about where to eat in the area. I would avoid meals at the hotel because they are not cheap and there are many good restaurants in the immediate area.

The Concierge Lounge, as will all American Marriott properties is closed from early Friday to Monday morning so you will be wasting your money on the Concierge Level if you book it on the weekends. The hotel did offer 750 points for my stay OR a free buffet breakfast in the lobby as compensation. That was a good touch.

My room faced the highway and noise was no issue. The room was very quiet. I think I will try the Courtyard next door, on my next visit. The more we frequent these tired properties, the less likely they are to refurbish them.

May I suggest the following...
1) Put some water and coffee in the lobby like other Marriott properties.
2) Monitor the Premiere Parking Area, it always seems to be full.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is an older hotel as you can tell by the styling but it has been pretty well taken care of. The staff we dealt with was pretty good and the concierge lounge was a nice option to have. The exercise room is typical with what you needed and there is a pool if needed. The location is a bit tough to get to and down some of the worst roads in the area (not Marriotts fault I know). There is a nice little bar in the lobby if you need anything as there isn't a whole lot in the area for easy access for meals. Overall a good stay and we would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Do you like slow internet connections? Pot holed roads? No coffee in the lobby? This is the place for you.

It is good to have a bar in the loby, but beyhond that, not a lot to rave about....

Might have more ideas to offer, but have only been there two nights...

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Nancy D, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Southfield, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Detroit Marriott Southfield for your most recent stay. I have received your comments, and on behalf of the Marriott Detroit Southfield team, I apologize that your stay here was not up to Marriott standards you have come to expect. I have carefully read over your concerns and have discussed your comments with the approriate departments. We are always looking for ways to improve our facility and feedback is extremely important to our team. In addition, I have also discussed your comments regarding the road condition with the City of Southfield. I hope you will try our facility next time you may be in the Southfield area. We look forward to creating your Marriott experience the next time you are in the area.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Seen alot of negative reviews, so automatically im thinking bad as i walk in. To be honest we are a young couple, mid 20s, and not very picky. We have 5 things we ask for with a hotel, air works, rooms are clean, good customer service, towels, comfy bed. Im not a hard man to please. If you hear a kid running done the hall once or twice, lobby isnt to your standards, you expect more from a gift shop, then your too picky in my book. Walked in and Barbara was the sweetest and kindest front desk rep. She small talked with me about the city of Detroit and the festivals, gave us a great room, was very insistant on seeing if i needed anything to help make my stay comfortable. Our room was clean, bathroom was great, air worked, towels were packed, sheets were fresh. If your looking for a hotel as a nice, clean, crisp safe haven then this is a good spot.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Howell mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

My stay at the Southfield Marriott was excellent.

The room was pretty large although not the bathroom. Bed was comfortable.

If I had any gripes at all, it would be the mistreatment of the housekeepers I occasionally witnessed and heard (from my room, as other guest have noted on the super thin walls) in the hallways during the day from the
"floor supervisors " who seem to talk down to them. Maybe this is something management overlooks ask they may not think the guest would notice or care about such a thing( WE DO!). Housekeepers looked miserable and seemed burnt out. I felt very bad them, it made me feel like I was in some kind of third world country instead of a Marriott LOL.

• Stayed April 2014
Nancy D, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Southfield, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing the Detroit Marriott Southfield! While I am thrilled to learn you had an excellent stay at our location, am I disappointed you encountered the experience you stated. I am interested in learning a bit more regarding the incident and would like to discuss the issue with you if possible. Please feel free to contact me directly at ndoolittle@marriottsouthfield.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you so much for choosing the Detroit Marriott Southfield and I look forward to booking your next stay with us!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I made reservations at this motel and they only give you 2 breakfast vouchers which means you pay for your kids to eat or you do not eat breakfast there. Also they charged my card 25 dollars and I did not get that money back for 7 days and did not buy anything.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Detroit Marriott Southfield for your most recent stay. I want to apology for the inconvenience you experienced while visiting our hotel. I have followed up with our departments regarding your comments. I am interested in learning a bit more regarding your stay with our location and welcome you to email me directly at ndoolittle@marriottsouthfield.com. Thank you so much for choosing the Detroit Marriott Southfield and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Been to Detroit Marriott Southfield? Share your experiences!