“Oldy but a goodie!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Oldy but a goodie!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I travel to Detroit 4X a year for work! Detroit is a scary place these days! This is a very old Marriott, but it is a clean and safe place to stay! Evelyn, a waitress in the restaurant is there to grett you everyday with a big beautiful smile for breakfast! And Dorothy, the head cleaning lady is there to ask if she can help with anything daily! What this hotel lacks in decor, their employees make up for, which is why i keep coming back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I recenlty stayed at the Marriott Southfield as part of my 50th high school reunion. The hotel staff did an excellent job in serving us on Friday night at the Meet and Greet event in the lobby bar area and the two breakfast buffets. All staff members were friendly and helpful. At breakfasts we had frequent changes in diners at our table and the staff responded well. The exercise center was easy to use and well quipped. The pool was chilly but pleasant. No fee for parking. The TV in our room got fuzzy and the engineer came up quickly and fixed it. I"m so glad that our reunion organizers picked the Marriott Southfield.
Joan-Sarasota FL

Room Tip: We liked room 207 as it was around the corner and very quiet with two queen beds.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lincoln, Ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

I traveled in on business so I checked in at dark and left early in the morning. Ray at check in was outstanding and the shuttle driver was one of the nicest gentleman you would ever meet. The exercise room was clean and had good equipment .
For some reason every Marriott room is on the small side but it was clean. The bed and pillows were very comfortable with a nice flat panel tv. My biggest flaw is the wifi was very weak in my room which explained why everyone was working on their laptops down in the lobby.
I had a sandwich in the hotel grill and it was fantastic with good service. Breakfast buffet the next morning had a good selection of hot choices and a great fruit bar. There again everyone who served was super friendly and it was a good stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Honestly this was the most disappointing stay at a Marriot hotel. As a Platinum member I stay at many different Marriotts and am very loyal to the brand. My stay at the Southfield Marriott was frankly not great. My room was dirty and haphazardly cleaned. My pillow cases were inside out and there was a lot of hair on the decorative pillows and smelled really dirty. There was visible soap caked in the shower from the last guest that stayed in the room and the note pads in the room had writing all over them from the previous guest as well. On the second night of my stay the bath towels were not replaced and I was left with only one towel.

The food in the restaurant was equally disappointing. I ordered the Ahi Tuna with Buckwheat Noodles with the Tuna cooked medium. The Tuna arrived so well done that it was incredibly dry and inedible. Instead of noodles, the dish had Penne Pasta. When I inquired about the difference the waitress shrugged her shoulders and said "I guess the kitchen is out of noodles". What a disappointment to have such a gross meal at the hotel. Usually when I stay at a Marriott, I enjoy having a relaxing dinner at the hotel after a long day of work. The meal the first night was so gross, I chose to eat out the following night.

The hotel quality and cleanliness was so bad that my next trips to Detroit will be at a Marriott other than the Southfield Marriott.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

For you frequent travellers you most likely have stayed in this room before as the furniture and fixings are your usual updated Marriott style. Unlike another review here my mattress was great, my biggest complaint with all Marriott's are the pillows - you get three huge sqaure foam pillows and then a bunch of small square feather pillows. Whatever happened to king pillows? It's the same at the Courtyards and Fairfields etc. Oh well, I digress. The concierge lounge has a full liquor bar, salad and cheese, breakfast was fine too. Older building but updated rooms, hallways, front desk etc. The windows in my room were a little foggy but it didn't take that much away from the room. Pool is a smaller one. Overall a nice stay, location is great for our needs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Close to downtown Michigan, great room rate. . . clean rooms, very nice resturant. . . .close to many upscale and medium of the road resturants. . . .nice pool work out room. Staff is very friendly. . . area is safe. No price for parking. Easy in and out access to all major roadways. Like the locations very much. Great for the weekly business traveler.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We enjoy using the Marriott properties wherever we trip. However, this trip was not a very good hotel experience. We unfortunately was next door to a person who had partied a little to much and got sick, so from approximately 3a.m.-6.am., we were awake, listenting to him scream and holler. The front desk was called numerous times and they even sent up security. Finally after having managment apologize to us numerous times, we went to another room just to get some sleep, so we could drive 3-1/2 hours home the next day (well actually it was more like a couple of hours). We did report our experience to the "new front desk" manager and gave her our information. They have promised that we will receive something from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Detroit Marriott Southfield? Share your experiences!