“Must have been an off night....” 1 of 5 stars

(248) 358-1310
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Meriwether's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 175 Restaurants in Southfield
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: I-696
Columbus, Ohio
“Must have been an off night....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

...because I see good reviews here, and I have no idea how. This was some of the worst food I've ever had. My co-worker got the Prime Rib with the crab cake - the crab cake wasn't cooked all they way through, and the prime rib was ordered medium rare and it was well past medium. I got the pasta with shrimp - the shrimp were breaded and completely over cooked and the "tomato sauce" honestly tasted like Prego. The bartender kept apologizing for how long our food was taking, yet when I ordered a coke when dinner arrived and after she just got done apologizing again, she still charged me for the $3 soda. $3??? One vodka, one glass of $6.50 wine, one $3 soda and two entrees came to $75. I try to give positive reviews and to give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt, especially when others seem to like a place much more than I do. I'll try to say maybe they were having an off night. But I honestly don't see them rebounding so high from what is truthfully one of the worst meals I've ever had.

Visited August 2013

Southfield, Michigan
“The Booths in the Bar area are Cozy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Consider asking to eat in the bar area. The booths are cozy, just a bit quieter and located near windows.
I recommend trying one of the draft beer selections from a Michigan brewer. The Rochester Mills Milkshake Stout went well with the scrumptious Cilantro Lime Shrimp side appetizer. The Charley Chowder was nicely spiced and served hot! The Martha Vineyard salad was fresh and tasty too.
My companion enjoyed the crab cake dinner entree.
Our server, the bubbly Malaka made our dining experience fun!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Waterford, MI
“We were very disappointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have eaten at Meriwether's for many years and it has been one of our "go-to" destinations for special occasions. Once the Chuck Muer corp sold out to Landry's things began to change. I took my husband there for his birthday this past weekend and we agreed we won't be going back. I wish I had read the reviews online before making the reservation. The teacup bread remains the best thing they serve, it would seem. The hostess was decidedly bored when we arrived; we were seated at a table that had been downsized leaving holes in the wall and big gaps at both ends which were never there before. We felt like we were sitting in a child-sized booth instead. The appetizer for $13 consisted of ONE crab cake! The Martha's Vineyard Salad (a favorite of ours for many years) was soggy and almost tasteless, though charged ala carte. We both had the pecan-encrusted trout which was passable (but we could have gotten better for a fraction of the price) as it was also soggy. The sweet potato mash and asparagus were good - but only 2 spears?? Really!! The food was very slow in coming up though the restaurant was not busy (at all!) Overall, we were bitterly disappointed and felt hugely overchaged! The service was adequate, but nothing special. The menu excluded all of our former favorites (swordfish, catfish, etc) and if my husband had not encouraged me to try trout for the first time, I would have been at a loss for what to order. The overall ambiance was lackluster and boring. Very disappointing!

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
PA
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My son just moved to Southfield and I was gettig famillar with the area and I drove my Meriwether's and thought I would try it for a Saturday night dinner. Well, I am glad I decided to try it. Everything was Excellent. Great atmosphere, Great food and Great service. I was impressed with the whole package. If you want a Great dining experience try out Meriwether's you won't be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Antwerp, Belgium
“Convenient for Southfield”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We came here at the suggestion of a colleague as it was close to the office we were working in. We were promptly seated and the service throughout our visit was fine. Good menu selection - i had the black rock prawns as a starter - probably enough for two to share. Had steak for main course; not the best i've had in SE Michigan, but not bad. Dinner for two, starters, main courses and two glasses of wine was $100 plus the tip.

Would i eat here again ? Yes - but only out of necessity
Would i recommend to friends ? Probably not.

• Visited March 2013