“2nd time at marvin's” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Ontario, Canada
“2nd time at marvin's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

we stayed again this year because last year we found the place to be ok. a few streets away from the woodward dream cruise but once you know where you are going its easy to get around but watch those no left turns. was a bit disappointed this time as the first day went to get some breakfast at 20 after 9 and there was no coffee even left or made up. thank goodness for coffee machines in the rooms. bring some filters and coffee with you as their coffee is not strong enough for the four cup machine. i think they should leave their breakfasts open till at least 10 am. we are on holidays and go to bed late and get up a bit late too. the dennys down the road is closed now so breakfast was a bit harder to find in that area. for the time we spent in the room it was ok and we had the pay for two days and the third was 1/2 price. no pool or anything. wished they had chairs to sit outside your room. read reviews of shootings, etc going on and never heard anything. i noted that it was patrolled by the police quite a bit so that made you feel safer. we had no problems. The rooms could use deodorizers. bathroom was nice. shower was great. staff was helpfull and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked this hotel via hotwire.com that showed it as a 2.5 star along with Holiday Inn and Best Western. The name of the hotel was not listed in the representative list so I searched for it after I was misled into purchasing the deal. The online reviews were scary (shooting and violence at the hotel), nevertheless my wife and I figured we would actually visit the hotel and check it out.

I came in from Canada, and when I gave the name of the hotel to the immigration officer, he expressed his surprise and commented that we should change our hotel. Our visit to the hotel confirmed the immigration officer's and the online reviews.

The building is in a dilapidated state, the rooms are musty and badly maintained, everything is shabby. Within a few minutes we decided to leave the hotel and requested the receptionist if we could get a refund. Not even once did she ask her what our concerns were and if there was anything the hotel could do to fix the problems (they couldn't even if they wanted to).

We ran as fast as we could from this place, and I am still aghast at how this hotel could be referred to by hotwire. My request to review the rating of the hotel and refund my amount has been met with a polite reference to hotwire's clauses.

Bottom line: even if you accidentally book this hotel, you will be is better off losing your money rather than staying here.

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagle, Mi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Needed place to stay for wedding last night. Watching MSNBC tonight and seeing police arrest prostitutes at this hotel. Funny thing is we got back from wedding and walking into hotel I said to my wife there were a lot of girls wearing really short dresses. Find another place. Must be rough area because you have to talk to clerk through speaker after 9 pm

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The rooms are not equipped with irons but a steamers which is fine. Once we realized our did not work we asked for an iron and the hotel states we would need to pay a $10 deposit for this which does not fly as they should be providing something that works in the first place!! Lena the front desk agent is rude and has a very smart mouth as she became irritated at the fact we refused to pay deposit for iron. Despite this it was promptly brought to our room.

Secondly I felt from the look of the hotel I would take my stuff each day (had a 4 night stay) just to be sure things were secure in my car however I mistakenly left a pair of real gold earring in the room. After I spoke with the manager she informed me I can speak with the housekeeper as she turned in a necklace from a room earlier that she found. First why would you have a guest speak with your staff to only get more upset. She took down my number and stated she would call with final outcome as I felt I needed to be compensated but nothing. I have even emailed her and no response. I knew during our conversation she wouldn't keep her word.

Again Staff attitude even manager Faye is horrible . Do Not Stay!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kalamazoo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is definitely lacking modern amenities. My room had a microwave and a refrigerator, but I was unable to have both plugged in at the same time. The sound on my TV was going, making it impossible to watch because the muffled noise was unbearable. I had to be careful when opening/closing the shower doors, I was worried they were going to fall off. Wouldn't touch the breakfast to save my life, I wasn't sure how old the milk was. The WiFi works occasionally. Front desk staff had a hard time figuring out my business reservations and which days I needed a room for, even with direction. Just a basic hotel, nothing fancy. Next time I would pay a little more and stay somewhere nicer where I felt safer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Small lobby. Hardly a "deluxe contenential breakfast" - juice milk cereal pastry coffee.
Rooms above the lobby (indoor rooms) are nice. Bathroom is nice, but small. No pool or "extras" but price reflects that. Not as hard to find as others indicated... those darned MI left turns!
Pretty quiet, but then again we were there during the week.

• Stayed December 2012
Southfield, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I live in the metro Detroit area, and would not want to stay at this hotel if I were visiting from out of town, due to safety concerns. There are many other hotels in Southfield that have not had the violence that this hotel has had, over the last few months and year.

Tip: Google the name of this hotel and "shooting" then "crime" and then "drugs"

Room Tip: Stay in well-lighted areas; protect your valuables.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marvin's Garden Inn? Share your experiences!