“A bit shopworn but still fine” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Midland, Michigan
“A bit shopworn but still fine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

As stated in other reviews, I am somewhat of a hotel snob and a Marriott fan. Spring Hill is my favorite brand. This property has been my home-away-from home for many weekend evenings in the last three years. It is conveniently located to expressways and there is a Tim Horton's a few hundred feet away, on the same side. While it is showing its age (I haven't stayed here in maybe six months), it remains super clean and well-kept. This property has one of the most friendly and helpful staffs I have encountered anywhere.

The setting is quite urban and the property itself not gloriously presented; still you'll enjoy your time there. I definitely will go back.

Room Tip: I always prefer high floors, away from elevator and be sure to ask staff for a room away from any bi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

This was the most enjoyable hotel stay ever. Very quiet even with a hotel full of people. The rooms are clean and stylishly decorated. Check in & out was fast. Polite and professional workers. Nothing bad to say at all. I highly recommend this location.

• Stayed May 2014
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Wow! We are thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us- all around. It's great to know that our hotel amenities and accommodations met your needs. We certainly aim to please so that you and all of our guests keep coming back! Thank you for staying with us!
San Ramon, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great location for getting around the detroit metro area. Easy on and off from the freeway. Staff in very helpful and accommodating. Rooms very spacious and nicely outfitted. Felt very safe. Good hotel for families, business travel or vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We were here for a family event and had 3 separate rooms. Very nice, spacious rooms with a sitting area. Bright and cheerful. Nice breakfast. Ray at the front desk was especially helpful finding us a place for a drink on the way to our event and even called ahead to get us a spot reserved for a quick drink. The price for the room was better than either of the other hotels recommended by the family and very well located with easy on/easy off the highways.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

The staff at this hotel went above and beyond during my stay. It is a nice hotel, but the staff makes me want to come back when I am in the area. Even though there was some construction going on they staff met all of my needs and provided good space to continue my meeting while there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you Jackie D.!

I couldn't agree with you more...the staff here at SprinHill makes every guests travel experience that much better! As with any renovation, the challenges to keep the guests happy are plenty! Our dust is all but settled and gone and now on top of the great service, everyone can enjoy a beautiful upgraded and trendy product as well.

Thank you for staying with us and we will see you soon!
SOUTHFIELD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I should begin this review by stating that this is the first time that I have EVER posted a wholly negative review on any travel site. I truly believe that workers in the hospitality industry choose it as a career because they have an ethos of trying to please their guests. By and large, after hundreds of hotel stays over the years, I have encountered countless passionate individuals dedicated to helping their guests have a positive experience.

That being said, I chose to use my Marriott Visa certificate reward at this property out of the myriad of offerings available to me in suburban Detroit based on the ranking of the hotel and on the responsiveness of the management to reviews posted on line. Many obstacles can be overcome when people of good pledge to work together and communicate.

This was not the case with this establishment. In order to come to this conclusion, I found myself on my fifth trip to the lobby, standing at the front desk next to a remodeling/construction worker and shivering in my swim suit from a non-working hot tub, while picking up my third set of keys after a night of loud "fun" noises from across the hall by a toddler who was awake well after 11 pm.

A few asides; 1) I am savvy enough not to store my keys next to my phone or credit cards, so the key problem was not self-induced. 2) I did alert the desk about the noisy child the night before. Lastly, I was given access to the hot tub by the concierge on duty - since my access key to my room wasn't working yet - and she didn't tell me about the mechanical problem with the hot tub.

At checkout on May 3rd, I politely asked to have Jill contact contact me to discuss these concerns and provided my phone number. Two days later, I received an email (not from Jill) and I once again requested that Jill call me. That was four days ago and, despite promises from Mario, the front desk manager who contacted me, I have yet to receive a phone call from anyone.

The dictionary defines complimentary as provided for nothing without charge. While that is certainly true from an economic perspective, I would beg to differ that my sense of well-being and faith in the innate goodness of others has taken a toll from this stay.

P.S. To be fair, this hotel was packed with dozens and dozens of teens (Soccer Tournament, Foreign Exchange students, etc.). This combined with the remodeling projects taking place in the hallways must have certainly taxed the staff this past weekend!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Jill L, Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Gail K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory during the time of our renovation and do appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.

Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

The hotel does not look big, which really doesnt matter as the rooms and the service is really great. The rooms are spacious and have good facilities even for a long stay- would go back to this hotel again if given a chance.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jill L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Harsha1985,

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to give a such nice accolades. We hope that you get the opportunity to stay with us again.

Been to SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield? Share your experiences!