“Loved the layout” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Portland, Texas
“Loved the layout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Compared to its sister hotel (Fairfield Inn), the SpringHill Suites has a much better layout in the studio suites. The bathroom is between the couch and the bedroom, so when the couch is pulled out the people in the bedroom don't have to worry about waking up the person on the couch to get to the bathroom. The room was very large and comfortable for three people with a king and sleeper sofa. The a/c wasn't great. We had it set on 65 but it never got below 75....not a big deal in Michigan when the weather is in the 70s but would've driven me crazy in Texas. Would've liked to use the hot tub but it was half-empty and non-functioning when we went.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed here on the first night of our vacation as it was close to the Detroit zoo which we were going to the next morning before heading to another Marriott closer to the airport. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. Only issues we had was 1 the phone didn't work in our room and the front desk person wasn't really sure as to what the problem was, and 2 the pool. We had to laugh because the pool itself had to have been 90+ degrees which wasn't a big deal better than freezing cold but the hot tub on the other hand had to bad been 70-75 degrees. They were completely backwards. Other than that no complaints. the parking was free the breakfast was decent and had plenty of options although ended early if I recall correctly. All together would def stay again if we were heading to another day at the zoo!

Room Tip: if you don't want a long walk ask for a room close to the elevator
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Southfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I loved this hotel. The room was awesome. The room had two beds and a pull out sofa. I caught the housekeeper, (Roseita?) cleaning and she was really cleaning. Actually scrubbing the bathroom floor and singing. I couldn't believe she was truly cleaning. I apologized for startling her but it was a plus to learn that there are associates who really clean! Jennifer booked my room. HER CONSUMER SERVICE STILLS WERE GREAT!. So much so I made sure to commend her personally. The hotel offers cookies,delicious. The breakfast consists of standard eggs, (processed and hard boiled), sausage, canadian bacon, oatmeal, ( nuts, sugar,) fresh fruit, juice, yogurt, bagels, waffles, all prepared with a smile and a conversation if encouraged. The front desk was very helpful, giving suggestions on places to dine. Coney Island is within walkiing distance, as well as several other eateries. One could even walk to the spirits store. All are within a literal five minute walk, if that. I will definitedly choose this location when I return to detroit. Marriott rarely lets me down.

Room Tip: Sleeper sofa was a plus for four adults.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights for relatives graduation. I travel a LOT for work so I've got a pretty good set of comparisons to go by. Parking lot could use refinishing and hotel is next door to an old, vacant office complex so zero curb appeal. As others have written, walls are paper thin so you can clearly hear conversations in neighboring rooms/hallway. Luckily i travel w/ear plugs so i could drown out the noise. Had problems getting hot water from sink (old pipes??) -- took literally 5 min to warm up from ice cold!! Tub took less time but still took awhile. Room had kind of an old musty smell and there were spots of mildew in shower where wallpaper met tile. Room never got serviced first day (had to bring my trash to front desk & get more trash bags, towels, soap, shampoo, etc. Day 2, didn't get a bath mat. Plus side: Front desk staff are friendly, wifi is good throughout hotel/in rooms. If I go back to area would probably stay elsewhere

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Accommodation-wise there was nothing wrong with the room---however, I don't know that I've had a smaller, or less appointed room at a Springhill Suites.

However, there were several challenges. First, it took forever to get hot water in the morning. I ran the sink faucet for a long while, then turned on the tub water as well. Eventually, I got hot water. But by the time I finished at the bathroom sink, and headed to take a shower, the water again was icy cold, and again took a long while to restore itself to a reasonable temperature.

At breakfast there was no orange juice. None. The coffee, such as it was, was more like brown water. It had a flavor reminiscent of coffee but was devoid of any real flavor. Breakfast itself was nondescript, your basic premade scrambled eggs and some sausage patties. If there was any fresh fruit, I sure missed it.

Lastly, the desk staff failed to leave a "check out" receipt under my door overnight. Thus, I was delayed just getting out of the place as well.

Note to those traveling: I did not see anything other than fast food places nearby. You may need to search out any nearby "real" restaurants.

As I was there on business, and will need to be in that area again, I will likely look elsewhere. It's not that this place was bad...it's just that something else, I'm sure, will be better.

Room Tip: There are only three floors, so an "upper floor" room benefit is negligible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMSHSSouthfield, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott during your last visit to Southfield, Michigan. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re so glad that you chose us for your accommodations. It was our pleasure to have had you stay with us. Every day our team works hard to exceed our guest's expectations. It is our goal to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. In regards to your comments, there are several restaurants down the road from the hotel, unfortunately none of them are within walking distance but about a mile away. Also within the year Marriott has chosen to upgrade our breakfast selections and we think this will please our guests much more then what is currently offered. We appreciate all feedback to the hotel so that we can communicate your feedback to our staff, as every comment back to us, both positive and negative, will only make us stronger as a team and help us to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and it is my hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.
Oakville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Perhaps it is not a fair comparison, but we stayed the previous night at the Saginaw Springhill Suites (which is excellent).

The Southfield Springhill has friendly service. The beds were not very comfortable. The hotel seemed clean. The pool area was excellent. The breakfast was fine, The cinnamon waffles were great and there is plenty of seating.

We had a problem getting enough towels (the front desk blamed guest theft). The whole situation was not handled well.

I doubt that we will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott during your last visit to Southfield, Michigan. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re so glad that you chose us for your accommodations. It was our pleasure to have had you stay with us. Every day our team works hard to exceed our guest's expectations. It is our goal to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. As far as not being able to receive enough towels during your last stay this is something that can affect your stay negatively and I truly apologize for that. We normally do not have an issue with towels and linen so I will look into why this happened. We appreciate all feedback to the hotel so that we can communicate your feedback to our staff, as every comment back to us, both positive and negative, will only make us stronger as a team and help us to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and it is my hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stay at Springhill Suites all the time, and this is in the running for the worst one. I was only there one night, and they were totally full, so maybe I just got a bad room or something.

The hotel is old, and the rooms have the old style finishes, bedding, etc. That alone isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the quality was lacking too. I think Springhill Suites beds usually have some kind of mattress pad that softens the mattress- this one definitely didn't. It was just a thin sheet right on top of a pretty hard mattress. Also, weirdly, my pillows were all like half the size of a normal pillow. I had to put two together to sleep on. I don't know if they just ran out of normal pillows or if this is normal at this hotel. My bed also squeaked like crazy every time I moved.

Breakfast was pretty good and the front desk people were nice enough. There was a hair not belonging to me on one of my towels, but that happens to me everywhere I go and my room seemed clean other than that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Springhill Suites by Marriott during your last visit to Southfield, Michigan. We understand that you have a choice when you travel, and we’re so glad that you chose us for your accommodations. It was our pleasure to have had you stay with us. Every day our team works hard to exceed our guest's expectations. It is our goal to not only meet all of our guest's needs and expectations, but to also exceed them. After reading your review I do see that this time, this did not happen and for that I apologize. Our hotel is a slightly older hotel and we do understand that there are some things we could update. We are hoping to undergo a renovation soon to update the hotel. We try and keep our hotel clean and our service friendly and I am happy to hear that this was the case during your stay. We appreciate all feedback to the hotel so that we can communicate your feedback to our staff, as every comment back to us, both positive and negative, will only make us stronger as a team and help us to improve all areas of the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and it is my hope you will choose to stay with us in the future.

Been to SpringHill Suites Detroit Southfield? Share your experiences!