“Great location, comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 19 hotels in Southfield
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great location, comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel a few times for business and was pleased each time. My room was clean and could not hear much traffic noise despite being near the expressway. Breakfast was good, typical of the chain. I will definitely stay again next time I am in the area.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This 3 storied Holiday Inn Express has wonderful staff. They don't let anyone into the breakfast area without proper footwear and are only too happy to print out boarding passes for you at the front desk if the guests' printers don't work.
The rooms are large, though a bit dreary looking (dark green is not a favorite of mine), but the amenities (such as separate living room, refrigerator , microwave and sink) more than make up for the color scheme.
The breakfast is prepared fresh each morning by staff who greet you with a "good morning" and ask if they can help you. Waffles, french toast, cereals, eggs, yogurts, sausages and grits along with assorted toasts and muffins are the excellent choices to be had.
This is a very popular hotel and is always filled with people entering the elevator from the swimming pool area, but the guests usually are quiet in the halls. Because the bedrooms are in the back away from the hall area, sleep is usually fine. The walls are, however, very thin and my husband was awakened every morning by the alarm from the room next door.

Even with the slight drawbacks, this is an excellent choice for the Southfield area, easily accessible from the Northwestern Highway. I will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Izac S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Southfield, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Viennastag,

We really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review! We love hearing guests' feedback and getting such a magnificent, detailed review just makes us that more motivated to keep doing what we're doing! We sincerely look forward to having you as our guest again. We promise to keep up the standards you've come to expect from us, and again are so thankful for your comments.

Warmest regards,
Izac Shammas
Philadelphia, PA USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Nice property. Great staff. Spacious clean rooms. A little unexpected in a positive way but wasn't expecting a kitchen with full fridge. Overall a great experience. The free breakfast was good also with pancakes made to order.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Izac S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Southfield, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had a great experience with us and found the staff helpful. We look forward on seeing you again in the future should your travels bring you back to this area.

Izac Shammas
Saginaw, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I guess I will get my positive comments out of the way. The property looked nice on the outside and the bed was really comfortable. However, while looking for a plug behind the nightstand to plug my cell phone charger into, I saw half a piece of pizza that housekeeping somehow missed when they where cleaning the room. When we went down for the continental breakfast an hour before it was supposed to be over, there really was nothing left and they weren't replacing the items that had run out.

Though the hotel can't control the guests (I suppose) the whole environment just was ratchet. We were part of a group that had a block of rooms and some of the other group members heard people arguing for a couple of hours at night and were unable to sleep. Then they were not informed that a church service would be going on beneath their room in the morning, so they were awakened by the music and from the service.

While security did come up to the room and remove the pizza (as we didn't want to move our stuff to another room), based on the entire experience, it's not a place that I would recommend anyone stay, nor would I stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: We had a room by the elevator on the second floor and didn't hear anything. Try not to get a ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Southfield, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear somemo32,

Thank you for the candid review of our property as this will guide us in making the right decisions. It is nice to know that you found the bed comfortable. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had over the unsatisfactory housekeeping service and over breakfast. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Southfield hotels

Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

First I was checked into a room that reeked of smoke. The smoke alarm had been tampered with - there were paper towels stuck to it that you could tell had been wet, stuck on the smoke alarm and since dried. The smell was so obvious that I can't believe it went unnoticed. There was also one bar of soap in the bathroom that had been opened and wet so cleaning was not done very well.
I changed rooms. Second room smelled better. I did notice that there was a lot of small hairs behind the faucet handles in the bathroom sink. Like someone had trimmed their hair or something. Just a small detail that the cleaning people obviously missed.
The rooms are very noisy. The furnace/heater in the bedroom makes loud noises all through the night. You can also hear a ton of noise from outside on the street and neighboring rooms including across the hall.
Finally, one night I came back to find every single parking space full. Handicapped parking was full. Cars were parked on the curbs and illegally everywhere, even on the snow piles left from the plows. I could barely get my car close enough to drop off my wife and 2 year old son before having to park at the shopping center across the street and walk back in sub-zero weather. There was apparently something going on in the conference room. The hotel behaved as if this was completely normal so I don't think this is an uncommon thing.
I could not wait to get out of this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Southfield, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear mikeleighb,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Southfield, MI.

Orlando A.
Burnsville, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

On February 18th I was asked to park across the street due to the parking lot being full due to an event they were hosting. They said I could move my car to the hotel lot after 10:30 PM. Meanwhile the general manager parked under the hotel awning with a sign saying it was his car so it would not get towed for being in a fire lane. I complained to them but they didn't care. You should not host events if you don't have room for your paying hotel guests.

• Stayed February 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Southfield, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Kayvam,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We apologize for your dissatisfaction on some of our staff and services. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Upon entering I knew this hotel was beautiful. The lobby and dining area was spotless. Front Desk went above and beyond and were so nice! The room was incredible with updated furniture. OH! AND THE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST...WOO!!! Will definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: King suite!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Southfield? Share your experiences!