I don't know if I have to words to describe how happy my wife and I were with our stay there. Here are some key points..
1) The place is really nice from the room (especially our room with the hot tub, double shower heads, veranda, fireplace, and lots of little touches) to the grounds. My wife and I fell asleep on the hammock a couple of times. :-)
2) The staff --- amazing! If you want helpful, nice, and pleasant as can be you have found the place. I felt like I was with family, honestly! So helpful in getting my flowers delivered to the room before my wife and I got there --- no questions asked. Handled it all and just needed my details.
3) The food??? Are you kidding me? The 4 course breakfast is just incredible. We read the journal left in our room with comments from previous guests from the past 4 years or so and they all mention how good the food was. Well, if you are out there -- the food is still really good. In two days I had a baked pear with whipped cream, assortment of fruit, caramel apple pancakes (oh man that is good), egg souffl'e (sp?) with sausage, and some new potatoes on the side, huge cinnamon roll (incredible icing!), cream puff with chocolate drizzle, lemon tart, yogurt/cereal parfet (again, sp?). The food was scrumptious and the atmosphere was even better. Needless to say, my wife and I didn't eat much lunch (and trust me, I don't EVER do that ... lol).
My wife and I are usually very adventurous. We hike and bike and both being Chicago people are used to high action and heavy entertainment. We just wanted to get away, relax, and just be. It was all that and more .... and, South Haven is really nice. Sunsets at the lake is a must! The beach is a nice place to take a stroll, and if you get out and about, the wine tasting and apple picking (fresh apples..yum!) is great around there.
All in all, I give this place a 12 out of 10. I would have given them a 13 out of 10 but they didn't ask us to move in for free. I guess that is asking too much?
Excellent weekend and we plan on going back in summer or winter for hanging out at the beach or just sipping hot chocolate on the fire.
Oh, and I forgot ... get the cold cuts, veggie, and warm bread tray ... and the massages. Mostly, get the warm bread..the smell alone will make you happy. :-)
Enjoy all..this place is fantastic!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape from the ordinary to our private piece of South Haven. With an air of relaxed elegance, away from the hustle and bustle, Martha's Vineyard offers luxurious accommodations of unparalleled comfort, heartfelt hospitality, service that anticipates and pampers and soul-inspiring surroundings. Select from eleven elegantly appointed guestrooms, each with private bath & fireplace, many with luxurious 2-person whirlpool tubs. All of our rooms are steeped with charm, and designed with your comfort in mind. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Martha`s Vineyard Hotel South Haven
- Martha`s Vineyard Bed And Breakfast
- Marthas Vineyard b&b