“Perfect for a 1st year annivesary (and filling!)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Martha's Vineyard Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Martha's Vineyard Bed & Breakfast
You added Martha's Vineyard Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
473 Blue Star Highway, South Haven, MI 49090   |
Ranked #4 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Perfect for a 1st year annivesary (and filling!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

I don't know if I have to words to describe how happy my wife and I were with our stay there. Here are some key points..

1) The place is really nice from the room (especially our room with the hot tub, double shower heads, veranda, fireplace, and lots of little touches) to the grounds. My wife and I fell asleep on the hammock a couple of times. :-)

2) The staff --- amazing! If you want helpful, nice, and pleasant as can be you have found the place. I felt like I was with family, honestly! So helpful in getting my flowers delivered to the room before my wife and I got there --- no questions asked. Handled it all and just needed my details.

3) The food??? Are you kidding me? The 4 course breakfast is just incredible. We read the journal left in our room with comments from previous guests from the past 4 years or so and they all mention how good the food was. Well, if you are out there -- the food is still really good. In two days I had a baked pear with whipped cream, assortment of fruit, caramel apple pancakes (oh man that is good), egg souffl'e (sp?) with sausage, and some new potatoes on the side, huge cinnamon roll (incredible icing!), cream puff with chocolate drizzle, lemon tart, yogurt/cereal parfet (again, sp?). The food was scrumptious and the atmosphere was even better. Needless to say, my wife and I didn't eat much lunch (and trust me, I don't EVER do that ... lol).

My wife and I are usually very adventurous. We hike and bike and both being Chicago people are used to high action and heavy entertainment. We just wanted to get away, relax, and just be. It was all that and more .... and, South Haven is really nice. Sunsets at the lake is a must! The beach is a nice place to take a stroll, and if you get out and about, the wine tasting and apple picking (fresh apples..yum!) is great around there.

All in all, I give this place a 12 out of 10. I would have given them a 13 out of 10 but they didn't ask us to move in for free. I guess that is asking too much?

Excellent weekend and we plan on going back in summer or winter for hanging out at the beach or just sipping hot chocolate on the fire.

Oh, and I forgot ... get the cold cuts, veggie, and warm bread tray ... and the massages. Mostly, get the warm bread..the smell alone will make you happy. :-)

Enjoy all..this place is fantastic!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Easier access to bottled water (and that is being picky)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

Martha's Vineyard is a B&B that aesthetically speaking, is perfect, but lacks many amenities that other B&Bs offer.

To begin, the breakfast, the other half of the concept of a B&B, was long, drawn out, and incredibly skimpy. The point of a getaway is to relax, and not anxiously await each course, only to find each one to be skimpier than the next. I felt as if every course was doll-size portion--that is, fit for my inanimate doll to eat. The crepes looked as though they were whole-wheat, given that they were brown. When I go on vacation or get away, my goal to eat unhealthily, not healthily. While I appreciate the effort in making healthy food appear and taste good, it takes away from the concept of a relaxed, indulgent weekend. It's hard to relax while determining which fork to use to slice my miniscule lemon tart with. I nearly ventured to put the whole thing in my mouth in one bite, but perish the thought of disrupting the rules of etiquette. (This etiquette part wasn't so much a fault of the innkeepers, but rather, the snobbish folks who shared our table.)

Secondly, our room consisted of signs reminding us that we were essentially, staying in someone else's house along with other guests, and that we should keep that in mind. Also, the toilet was so incredibly close to the tub, that only an acrobat or flexible gymnast would have a successful and problem-free experience while using it.

Thirdly, our "private" verandah was actually shared by the room next to ours. After stepping outside early in the morning to enjoy my tea, bedhead, morning breath, and all, I was surprised to see another door next to ours, and thus, I promptly made a hasty retreat back indoors.

Fourthly, the room was incredibly small and lacking in adequate storage. My husband and I had no problem hanging everything in the closet, but with only two hangers to be found, this seemed to be another obstacle.

Lastly, there was no internet access, and no public fridge, microwave, etc., for guests to use. We only had access to coffee and tea at 7:30 in the morning. No bottled water, pop, etc., unless we buzzed them for some. And while we both had the misfortune of suffering head colds, we were thankful that we had brought our own box of tissue; there was none in our room.

All in all, our stay would have been much better if the food was more about size, selection, and indulgence, rather than a stuffy, fluffly, etiquette-driven gourmet experience. Furthermore, a guest area with internet access and a fridge with drinks would have been nice. And of course, a highly "accessible" toilet would have been great.

• Liked — Bed linens, room decor
  • Disliked — Breakfast, bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portage, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

We recently had the good fortune to hold our wedding at Martha's Vineyard in South Haven. Not only were innkeepers Ginger and Lou Adamson gracious hosts, but they provided excellent service and took the time to make the day special, not only for us but for our guests as well. Every detail was perfect from the floral-draped arches for the ceremony to the beautifully dressed tables at the reception. The food was absolutely delicious, and the setting was gorgeous.

We cannot imagine a more romantic place to spend our first night as husband and wife than the Fairhaven suite in the Guest House. After watching the sunset over nearby Lake Michigan, we lit a fire in the fireplace and relaxed in the Jacuzzi tub with champagne and soft music. The next morning we enjoyed an amazing breakfast in front of the fire before setting off on our honeymoon.

Our stay at Martha’s Vineyard was exceptional. The award for “Most Romantic Hideaway” is well earned, and reflects the atmosphere that prevails at this bed and breakfast. With the quality of service and hospitality that we received, we can highly recommend Martha’s Vineyard for anything from a quiet get-away to a small intimate wedding.

• Liked — Beautiful and romantic
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grand Rapids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

We loved our stay at this little getaway. We had friendly service and
delicious food. The peaceful atmosphere is relaxing and the surrounding gardens are romantic. We would recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — You didn't feel like in a tourist trap
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

I recently stayed at Martha's Vineyard and it was a fabulous experience. It was gorgeous inside and out. They have beautiful yet comfortable rooms and their grounds are exquisite to walk through. The Inn Keepers are very nice and pay attention to the little things that made my stay perfect. From my massage to my wine and cheese basket-everything was great.

I will definitely be visiting this place again and will recommend it to all of my friends.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2006

As a birthday gift, I decided to book a b&b for the weekend for my boyfriend. We really enjoyed our time there! Ginger is pleasant and the place is just beautiful. I had also booked a "Hero Special" as well as a "Picnic Basket". There was more food then needed for both... I would most definitely come back and visit once more. If you've never tried a b&b before, this place would give you the best time spent away from home.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hobart, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

We recently returned from an enjoyable two day stay (July 25 & 26) at this B&B. My husband surprised me with the trip which included the Hero's package and the sunset cruise listed on their website. We stayed in the Arbor Room which was very nice. I think it was one of their smaller rooms but it was cozy and perfect for us. The two-head shower was a nice touch.
After the yummy breakfast the first day, I was already anxiously looking forward to the next morning. It was just as good. The first morning, we watched two bunnies eating their breakfast too. Not good for the landscaping of course...but the guests enjoyed the show. :)
We didn't mind the B&B not being right in town. It was in a very peaceful and quiet location. The drive to Saugatuck wasn't bad and we thought the B&B's location between it and the downtown area of South Haven was a good one. The tray of veggies, fruits, meats, cheeses and fresh baked bread that was part of the hero's package was a real treat. It was much, much more than two people could eat for dinner. We couldn't help but finish the bread though because it was so good. The only thing missing on it was a small sweet treat to top it off (my husband and I are big dessert people).
We would highly recommend this place. The hosts, the food, the rooms, the location and the price were all wonderful!

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Martha's Vineyard Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!