“Mom's 24 Hour Road Tripp'n” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun n Sand Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Haven
Sun n Sand Resort
You added Sun n Sand Resort to your Saves list
176 N. Blue Star Hwy, South Haven, MI 49090 (Formerly South Haven Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Elgin, Illinois
“Mom's 24 Hour Road Tripp'n”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I had to head to MI to pick up our chick's at camp. We decided to make a mini-vacation of it and chose Sun and Sand, in South Haven. We were pleasantly surprised and happy. It's perfect! The grounds are beautiful, rooms were clean and well taken care of. Very kitchy pool. It was very close to downtown South Haven...So I would recommend this place. Very enjoyable!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Denver, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed in the beach house for 2 nights. They had a great setup for a family. We had 2 bedrooms with a bath between the two rooms. The rooms were not large, but worked perfectly for what we needed. They had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, soaps, etc. The floors were hardwood - which I prefer to carpet in areas that have sand! Everything was very clean! The property was very beautiful - with a great pool, a bar b cue area and lots of sitting areas. I think this property would be perfect if they also provided a breakfast option. But all in all - a great choice in a beautiful area of Michigan.

Dyer, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We arrived on a Friday evening for the Blueberry Festival. I had checked numerous places to stay and chose to stay here based upon the reviews along with the pricing.

When we arrived we were given our code for our room (keyless entry system). We were told about the amenities and towels, etc. Very pleasant and quick check in process.

We knew the rooms were going to be small based upon the reviews. We booked Rm 205 in the Beach House, which is a suite. Its basically two small rooms with a bath in the middle. You have to walk through the bath to get into the other room.

People need to keep in mind this is an OLD resort. If you are expecting hotel type amenities then do not stay here. We chose it because its a family owned facility and we wanted to try something out of the ordinary. We own our own business and like to support other small businesses whenever we have the opportunity.

The room is equipped with a small refrigerator, microwave, mini coffee pot, a TV in each of our rooms and toiletries. There is a small chair and nightstand and that's it. These are NOT luxury rooms. The beds were very comfortable....not too soft and not too hard. The rooms have old woodwork, hardwood flooring in the sleeping areas and window A/C units. The A/C units kept the room sufficiently cold. Outside each of your doors is a Adirondack chair where you can sit and have morning coffee.

They also have an inground salt water pool with bathroom facilities and plenty of table/chairs for dining. There are no dining facilities located onsite however everyone had coolers with snacks and drinks and they were ok with that. The pool was warm and clean. They had a firepit area that many people went to. (We were so tired from walking all day/night we just couldn't keep our eyes open long enough to go out there)...

Coffee was served in the morning inside the lobby area, where they had tables and chairs for people using their laptops. Wifi was available.

I would stay here again based upon the pricing and the east of getting to/from everywhere downtown. Again, if your expecting hotel type accommodations this is not your place to stay. If your thinking small resort, nice people, quiet surroundings, quaint accommodations STAY HERE!!

We did have a problem with our keyless entry system and they came out promptly to change the batteries and we didn't have a problem again.

Room Tip: If you are staying with more than 2 people or have 2 couples going and want to save a little money...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

As most everyone has stated, the rooms are small, but clean. We did not have our coffee creamer or coffee in our room replenished on a daily basis, but I really think that was my only issue, and it was really not a big deal to me. The staff was friendly and the pool area and grounds are clean and well take care of. I really liked how our group of 5 families could enjoy a campfire (chairs, pit, lighter, wood, etc provided by the resort), grill out on the charcoal grills and eat at the picnic tables, sit while the kids played in the sand, lounge around or swim in the pool, and gather on the porch. There was a lot we could do and running to town was a quick, easy trip. I would definitely recommend it to anyone staying in South Haven.

• Stayed July 2013
Howell, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway at the end of July. We chose this resort based on the favorable reviews, and it because it looked really charming in the pics online.

When we arrived, we found the resort grounds to be just as nice as they appeared online. At check-in, we were told there were fire pits with wood and lighters out back if we wanted to use them. I thought that this was a nice, fun touch. We swam in the pool once during our stay, and it seemed clean enough and refreshing. It was in the high 80's/low 90's during our stay, so some additional shade near the pool would have been nice, but it wasn't really a major issue.

We had gotten one of the cottage rooms because that was the only thing available when we booked. Upon entering the room, the first thing we noticed was how sloped the floors were. It was almost dizzying! The armoire that housed our mini fridge, coffee maker, etc. was sitting at such an angle, it almost looked like it would fall forward! I realize that this is an older property, so this is forgivable.

The cleanliness, or lack thereof, was not forgivable. While my husband was bringing our bags from the car to the room, I went to use the restroom. I was shocked to find that someone had taken a dump in the toilet and never bothered to flush it! There was a small, dried-up smear of excrement on the toilet seat too. I was seriously horrified! After that, I began to notice other areas that just didn't seem clean. The bathtub floor looked like it could use a good scrubbing. The all-white bedding had several stains on it, and the white towels seemed dingy. During our stay, I kept finding long, brunette hairs on the towels and throughout the room (neither my husband nor I are brunette). I was so disgusted I ended up using the beach towels I had brought along from home. We started to wonder if the room had actually been cleaned at all before we arrived!

To try to put a positive spin on our stay, we were so grossed out by our room that it forced us to find as much to do away from the resort as possible. We basically only slept there. Part of me would like to try the Beach House next time we go to South Haven, but we probably won't go near this place again. It's a shame, if they put as much effort into cleanliness and housekeeping as they put into making the place appear charming and cute, they would have a real winner here.

• Stayed July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family and stayed at the Sun 'n Sand Resort recently. The rooms are small but I wasn't worried about the size of the room. After all we were on vacation. We ventured out during the day to return to the resort to enjoy the clean room and new pool. The room was clean every day. A sign in the room clearly stated fresh clean sheets will only occur if you request it. They are trying to conserve water as most hotels and resorts are doing. You will receive clean fresh towels daily. Guest can enjoy full size beach towels at the pool too! Rita the manager and all staff were pleasant and helpful. I asked for places to eat and they we very helpful and made great suggestions. They also warned us about long waits for the local restaurants so we were able to shop while waiting for dinner. This is an old resort with a long history in South Haven. The owner and manager are working hard to bring updates to this hidden jewel. I look forward to my next trip to Sun 'n Sand Resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We booked our family reunion at the resort. It made 40 very pick family members happy and in the 25 years we've been hosting reunions, that has NEVER happened! I loved it so much that I'm headed back for a girlfriend getaway just a week after staying there for our reunion.

Many people complain about small rooms, but remember when this resort was built. Room size is typical and even on the large side for a vintage resort from the 1920's.

The whole point is to get outside of your room- enjoy the gorgeous property, soak in the saltwater pool (your skin will thank you) and have a bonfire as the sun goes down.

You're also about as close as you can get to the Kal Haven trail- biking, running etc and only about 10 minutes from the beaches and shopping downtown. Lots of you-pick farms are nearby and fruit stands to stock up on snacks.

Did I mention how clean this place is? Spotless. With staff that will bend over backwards to help you. We never could have pulled off the reunion without them. They knew the town and they helped us with everything from finding a caterer to hosting a BBQ lunch.

This place is a hidden gem and one of my new favorite get away spots!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sun n Sand Resort? Share your experiences!