“Nice Room, but no service and a waste of $200 per night.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Chicago
“Nice Room, but no service and a waste of $200 per night.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

We checked in around 5 pm on a Friday afternoon. There was only one person working the desk and the manager was not on the premises. It took us almost 30 minutes to get checked-in, so it was not a good start.

The room was actually fairly nice. While the room was very spacious, they didn't do a great job of cleaning since there was dust and I saw a toe nail from a previous guest on the floor.

Later that evening we took the kids to the pool to swim. There were no towel at the pool, so I went to the front desk and asked for towels. I was told that they were out and that I should use my room towel and hang them to dry so that I could use them again tomorrow. What???? For over $200/night I would expect towels and a more caring attitude from the clerk.

Right behind me was a pair of older ladies asked for extra pillows and they were told that there were no extra pillows in the entire hotel. The clerk really didn't care and the manager was still nowhere to be found.

Now to the "Free" breakfast. When we went down there there was a massive line for the 1 waffle maker and not much food left. It looks like they put "x" amount of food out and don't restock anything, so it's basically First Come, First Served.

I have never stayed at a Comfort Suites and most likely never will again.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Obviously I am now quite the fan of this great western Michigan town. My wife and I and our two daughters (10 & 7) just returned from a stay in South Haven and this Comfort Suites. For those who haven't been there, do yourself and your children the favor of a few day stay in South Haven this summer!

Ok, now on to the Comfort Suites . . .

As a frequent business class traveler I generally break my reviews down to 'the great, good, bad, and ugly', but since there was nothing particularly either great or ugly about this traveler / tourist class 2 star I'll just leave it at good & bad. Then, I'll offer some bottom line points and recommendations. Ready? Here goes:

GOOD

* Convenience: This hotel is located just off 196. With 'traveler needs' amenities like Walgreen's, gas stations, etc. nearby it is very convenient.

* Location: I think this hotel is nicely located for a family stay in South Haven. Ok, before all of the B & B advocates jump on me I did say 'family' (more on B & Bs later). It is just a short ride into town one way - and the other way . . . well it gets into farm country but there is one of the area's fantastic blueberry farms nearby where you can pick your own. Stephenson's Blueberry farm is seven minutes one way, with downton South Haven and the beaches the other.

* Newness / Cleanliness: You would definitely know the hotel is new without being told. We stayed in room # 308. The appointments thorughout were in some ways beyond this class of hotel: nice carpet throughout, marble flooring in the bathroom, and a classy armoire are standard. Beyond that, a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker were included. Nice.

* Breakfast: while nothing special, the breakfast that is included in the hotel lobby is, again, a bit beyond the usual hotel 'continental'. There were a variety of juices, cereal, and multiple varieties of coffee to choose from. There was also a waffle iron with pre-prepared cups of batter ready for the making.

BAD / ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:

* Partial what?: The room we booked was classified by the hotel as 'partial room divided' - the idea here is that the room is not a suite, per se, where the bedroom is 'separate', but there is a partial wall between the bed and the pull-out sofa bed. We have stayed before in partial room divided rooms - generally, the partial wall IS SUPPOSED to make it impossible for someone sitting on the sofa, for example, to physically see the bed. In THIS CASE the 'partial wall' that divided sofa from bed was about 1 foot!! Obviously, we can't have too much 'fun' with our daughters in an even real partially divided room, but my wife and I like to watch TV, talk, etc. without waking our daughters. It was like they added a tiny 1 foot wall just to, technically, say it is a partially divided room. It was not.

* Swimming pool / work-out 'booth': Not a big complaint because a lot of hotels in this class don't offer these two things, but . . . don't come with any great expectations of a pool or work-out area. The pool is very small enclosed tightly in a small room with no 'frills' (hot-tub, etc.). The water looked a little cloudy too - I'm not a fan of swimming in any chlorinated water though! The work-out room (booth!) is in a small bedroom-sized room with three pieces of equipment (treadmill, climber, bike thing) that barely hold them. My daughters asked me if they could use the pool in the event our great days at the beach were rained-out. I was praying it didn't come to that when I saw this pool!

BOTTOM LINE / RECOMMENDATIONS

* Bottom line, this hotel is a good base for a great area! The point is, years from now we will remember our summer trip(s) (assuming there will be many more!) to South Haven. While this hotel will NOT be a part of the lasting memories, it did serve us well.

* Ok, many will assail me for not recommending the many charming, close to the beach B & Bs of South Haven. I actually would - they look great! perhaps when my wife and I are there alone we will try them, but . . . there is nothing that will make you enemies at a charming, quaint B & B faster than bringing children - even as well-mannered as ours! I believe a few in town are rated 'adult only', which I take to mean they've had problems.

* Be sure to try the beautiful South Beach by the light-tower and pier. You will be occasionally be greeted by the sight of the old-time schooner ship from the maritime museum, as it takes folks out on a unique sailing experience (we're doing it next time!). Also, be sure to go to one of the fruit farms and pick your own - my daughters were into it!

* This Comfort Suites is a good, albeit unspectacular, base for your trip.

Feel free to write me: jefnac@hotmail.com

• Liked — This hotel is a 'safe bet' - clean, convenient, nice
  • Disliked — No 'charm factor' as one would get staying in-town
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bay City, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

For a new hotel...they sure need some improvements!!

We booked a king suite w/hot tub for May 3-5th. For $135 a night, I was disappointed with this hotel! I am an Elite Gold Choice Hotel member, and this was not one of the better hotels I've stayed at.

We stayed in room 224. The room was fine - the furnishings were clean and comfortable. The hot tub was in a seperate room, which was nice because it wasn't in the main room crowding everything!

Now, the problems:

1. The first night our room didn't have a tv remote. I called down to the front desk and was told we would have to go down to the front desk to pick one up. Ok - I went down to get one and the lady at the front desk said she didn't have any, they had already handed out all they had, but she'd go to another room and "borrow" us one. So, finally, we got one. Problem solved, after a little hassle.

2. The first night the stool quit flushing. We pulled the top off and could manage to get it to flush once. When we left in the morning, I told another lady at the front desk about the problem and was told not to worry, they'd have it fixed that morning. Ok, problem solved.....or was it? Nope - still wasn't flushing the 2nd day. I told the same lady at the front desk again this morning when we left that it still wasn't working, and she seemed pretty unconcerned while checking us out. Hopefully for the next people its fixed!

3. I was sleeping on the pull out sofa. I went to pull it out to get ready for bed, and found there was a plain mattress. No mattress pad, no sheets, no pillows, no blanket. We looked around the room, an din the closet (where these items normally are if not on the bed already) and didn't see them. So I went back down to the front desk to inquire. Was told to take pillows off the bed to use. She gave me a ratty old blue blanket that had seen much better days. And I was informed that the sheets were in the bottom drawer in the tv stand. Got that taken care of then and finally got to bed.

4. If you are going to claim this statement "This South Haven hotel provides business travelers with modern conveniences like free high-speed Internet access" on your hotel website homepage, add a disclaimer that its in the LOBBY only and not the entire hotel!! When I called down to the front desk asking about the internet service, this is what I was told. That or if I had an ethernet cord, I could plug into the outlet in the room. I didn't have a cord with me and asked if they had ones we could use (other hotels I've stayed at have had them at the front desk we could check out for the day) the lady at the front desk informed me that they have ONE cord and it was already requested for the weekend. Not happy about that!! How disappointing!

Overall, it was a clean hotel - but had some problems that should be taken care of!!

• Liked — spacious room
  • Disliked — all the problems listed above
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bay City, Michigan
1,020 reviews 1,020 reviews
2,147 helpful votes 2,147 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

Recently spent a Saturday night, during a very busy fall weekend. The whole town was packed and we supposedly got the last reservation at this hotel. The staff was robotic, not very friendly or helpful, seemed very disinterested in any of the guests. Our room was spacious, and the bathroom was great. Good amenities, and all new "everything." Very clean. Our bed was quite comfortable, was not properly made however. The room was very dusty, but other than that, appeared clean. Everything worked well (lights, remote, TV, drapes, air conditioning, bathroom fan, locks, lamps). One plug did not work. The room seemed a little worn, with chunks of wood gouged out of several pieces of the furniture. Public areas fine. Did not partake in the breakfast.
Housekeeping was very noisy in the hallways, quite early, and seemed to be on purpose. Knocked on our door before check-out also. So, an OK place, but I would check other local hotels first.

• Liked — location was convenient and quiet
  • Disliked — staff interactions with guests, dusty room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

For the past few weeks, I have been trying to get a group reservation at the Comfort Suites in South Haven for the guests of my June wedding. I e-mailed them in January, with no response. I called twice, the second time being Friday, February 16th. I was told that the rate for those nights would be $152.96, and that the person who handles group bookings is Debbie. The person I spoke with said that Debbie would call me on Monday, February 19th. She never called me back. I tried reaching her again, and she gave me a rate ($169/night) that was $50 more than the Lighthouse Inn per night, and $60 more than the Hampton Inn, and even higher than the rate I was told the Friday before! They refused to do a group reservation (20 guaranteed rooms!) because they were confident they would to capacity that weekend (June 15th and 16th). I would agree with a previous poster that this hotel is poorly managed, and that their customer relations are inadequate.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Independence, KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

I Recently stayed at the Comfort Suites. The staff is very friendly and informative. The problem appears to be managment. The manager only purchases 5 copies of the USA Today for registered Guests. These disappeared with a construction crew every morning at 5 AM. This is a brand new inn but poor maintenance is already an issue. In the room a stayed in the a brand silstone backsplash was repaired using a contruction glue and it was smeared all over the wall paper where they had tried to wipe off the excess. Based on the weekly rate and what they charge for the weekend I expect better treatment and maintenance.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Commerce, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

We arrived about midnight, so maybe we were sleepy, but the beds were comfortable, the hotel is fairly new, so no complaints at all on furnishings, etc... We were going to stay two nights, but for Friday night they wanted to increase the price from $105 to $189. My husband said, no way. All in all, its a good location, close to the highway, ~3-4 miles to the beaches. The biggest item that needs improvement was the breakfast. Don't expect much - it was coffee, juice, small 'commercial' bakery type donuts (i.e. it looked like they bought the low cost, bulk variety.) We stayed at a Hampton Inn earlier in the trip and the breakfast was much nicer. The good part is that South Haven has a lot of restaurants, so we had a nice breakfast at the Phoenix Cafe. There is a pool, but it wasn't very large.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Comfort Suites South Haven? Share your experiences!