“Great Bed and Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carriage House at the Harbor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Carriage House at the Harbor
You added Carriage House at the Harbor to your Saves list
118 Woodman, South Haven, MI 49090   |
Ranked #7 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Oh
“Great Bed and Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

We have just returned after a weekend at the Carriage House at the Harbor. This is the best Bed and Breakfast we have ever stayed in. The decor is immaculate and the accomodations nothing but 1st class. Very luxurious. David and Suzanne, the inkeepers, are very friendly and most gracious. The breakfsts were phenominal and on par with any 1st class restaurant. And the evening hors d'oeuvres delicious. Great food!!! Great Hosts!!
Great accommodations!!!

We will not stay anywhere else in South Haven. Our 1st trip will be the 1st of many at the Carriage House. We HIGHLY recommend it to all.

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — too short stay
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Valparaiso, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

What a fantastic experience!
My mom and I wanted to do a fun mother-daughter get-away and we couldn't have been more pleased with the Carriage House!
David and Suzanne were the perfect hosts and we wanted for nothing!
Our room, The White Chapel, was just beautiful. Overlooking the harbor we watched loons swim and dive on their migration north from our window. We walked to Lake Michigan, a mere stone's throw from the Inn.
The complimentary hors-douvres in the evening were delicious and we also really enjoyed the free popcorn, pop, and cookies along with the large selection of dvds!
Breakfast in the beautiful sunroom was exquisite! Come down hungry because they feed you plenty and the food is outstanding...not to mention the view from all the windows.
It's a great location as there are fun shops and wineries in South Haven and it's about 20 minutes from Saugatuck.
If you're looking for a great place to eat try Clementine's in South Haven and Phil's if you're making the jaunt to Saugatuck. You will be most pleased!
I am in the process of organizing a trip with my husband and three other couples so I can share with all of them my wonderful experience at the Carriage House!
Treat yourself and a loved one and book EARLY if you intend to make a summer trip to this most wonderful of get-aways!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

What a gem of a bed and breakfast!!!! I stayed there for 4 nights before 4th of July weekend for a little r&r and will be back!!!
Where to start. First of all, the location of this property is the best in South Haven. It is located a short, across the street, walk from the beach, has spectacular harbor views and is located adjacent to a lovely park.
Upon entering the beautiful inn, you are greeted by the owner, Scott. He takes you on a tour of the property and shows you where breakfast/afternoon goodies are served as well as the frig that is always stocked with sodas/waters and where you can put your leftovers or bottles of wine. All of the rooms are beautifully appointed and I think all have fireplaces, some have jacuzzi tubs and some have balconies. The nice thing is that if a room is not occupied, they leave the door open so you can check it out. I had the least expensive room but it was so beautiful with antique furniture and wonderful comforters and other wonderful touches. Not too antiquey. though. At the inn, you start the day with a wonderful breakfast made by Patti and her crew that consists of fruit/dip, egg casserole or egg dish of some type, potatoes, some type of yummy homemade bread and delicious scones that melt in your mouth!!! DO NOT miss breakfast. Same goes for the afternoon goodies at 5PM. Always is some fruit/dip and other items such as apricot meatballs, vidalia onion cheese dip, etc. DO NOT miss either. The views in the dining area of the harbor are priceless as well as the views from the other seating areas outside. Take advantage of it!!!
Area activities/dining: Don't miss Clementine's. The wait may be long but is well worth it. There is also a little Italian restaurant called Fiorelli's that is close to Clementine's. Also not to be missed. A must see day trip is to go to Saugatuck, a 20 minute drive for shopping and dining as well. It is a quaint beautiful town, but is nice to come back to South Haven to the Inn to retire at the end of the day.
The inn also has a vast collection of videos and DVD's, magazines, and books for your usage as well. One night while I was there I got a pizza from Fiorellis and then went back to my room and watched a movie.
Do not miss a chance to book a relaxing stay at the Carriage House and Harbor. Scott and Patti and their staff do an amazing job. The place is spotless, comfortable, wonderful food, wonderful views and atmosphere and you don't want to leave because they make you feel right at home!!!!!! I spoke with several people while I was there and many of them have stayed in every room at the inn. That is a testament to the Carriage House! Call and make your reservation!!!!

• Liked — location and hospitality from owners/staff
  • Disliked — that I couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
chicago,il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2007

We stayed at The Carriage house for 3 nights @ the end of May. It was fabulous!!! I don't know where to begin but will try to be short and sweet. My friends and I decided we needed a little R&R. I'm a regular visitor to South Haven, usually a few times a year w/ my family of six. We are three nurses from the Chicago area and wanted to be pampered a bit. When we arrived we were greeted by Scott and Patti who were very warm and gracious. The inn is impeccably decorated and sits on the harbor with gorgeous views. We were given a tour and able to pick our room of choice which was "The Victoria". It had a sittting room, small kitchen, whirlpool tub and view of the harbor. We especially enjoyed the rockers on our balcony. The breakfasts are very unique and delicious-many items were delicacies I have not tasted before. Patti must be a gourmet cook!!! In addition, in the evening hot hors d'oeuvre were served -meatballs, veggies, great dips, and chocolate strawberries!! This was much more than your usual evening snacks I've had @ other B&B's. The inn is located approx. 1 blk from North beach where we watched beautiful sunsets in the evening. One night we walked to town and then to the Lighthouse @ South Beach. It is a stroll but definitely doable. We enjoyed steaks and fish @ Clementines which was originally an old Bank building in the late 1800s. One other excursion we took was to the town of Saugatuck for the artsy shops and a boat ride on "The Star" which is a sternwheeler. What particularly attracted us to this B&B was the water view, and space to spread out and enjoy the surroundings. The grounds of the inn are absolutely beautiful and out back are a few decks w/gliding chairs, tables, a firepit etc. It was so relaxing in the evening sitting outside chatting and sipping wine. The owner Scott not only welcomed us but gave us a short history of the inn and the area which was very interesting. I'm not exagerrerating to say this was my best B&B experience. We were saddened to leave and am already planning return visits with my husband, sister, mom and other friends. OKAY-That's It-except THANK YOU- to the Carriage House for being the PERFECT B&B !!!

• Liked — decor, service, food, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2006

Romantic, Relaxing
My wife and I have stayed at many B&B’s in the Midwest. The Carriage House on the Harbor has set the standard that we compare all other B&B’s that we visit. We have been coming to South Haven for years and we had stayed at the Yelton Manor a few times until the Carriage House was opened. Once we stayed at the Carriage House at the Harbor, no other B & B could compare to it! The Carriage House on the Harbor has become our second home without all the responsibilities of a vacation home. We have been coming to this BB for the past 8 years 2-3 times a year.

Scott and Victoria (Innkeepers) have a very professional, friendly and helpful staff. You are greeted by a smiling friendly face when you check in and are reminded about the hors d'oeurves which are served every night at 5:00. The hors d’oeurves are different every night and is a large spread that goes beyond the ordinary cheese and crackers that most B&B’s provide.

The rooms are always meticulously clean and beautifully decorated with antique furnishings. Most have 2 person Jacuzzi’s, Cable TV (combo VCR/DVD) and gas fireplaces that are controlled by a wall switch. There are always complimentary fresh baked cookies, popcorn, trail mix, candy and soft drinks available all the time, which is perfect to munch on while watching movies from the Carriage House’s movie library. My wife and I also registered at the local video rental store in town so we can catch up on the most recent movies.

After a movie, it’s time to hop in the Jacuzzi and then sit out on the deck to watch the boats and enjoy the soothing sounds of the harbor.

But then there is the Breakfast….

What better way to start the day by enjoying a 2 course breakfast overlooking the harbor. On nice days during the summer the breakfast can be enjoyed outside on the deck, which also overlooks the harbor. Scott is usually around during breakfast serving and pouring coffee.

When Scott is not around Patti or one of the other staff members will help you out with whatever you may need (directions, dinner recommendations, reservations, etc..) Patti has been a consistent factor in the operating and high standards ever since this B&B opened.

Each time we stay at the Carriage House we notice improvements, some small and some large. Many B&B’s that we have visited fail to maintain the grounds or show signs of wear. This is not the case at the Carriage House. Scott, Victoria, Patti and the staff are always looking for ways to improve the overall B&B experience when staying at the Carriage House.

This is the place if you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy being pampered.

My wife and I highly recommend ‘The Carriage House at the Harbor’ over any other B&B’s in South Haven.

Stayed September 2006
Roseville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

We just returned from a wonderful two days at the Carriage House at the Harbor. What a relaxing, enjoyable stay. Scott, the owner, along with Patti, the manager, and their entire staff, cannot do enough to make you have a wonderful experience. The rooms were well decorated, the grounds were beautiful, thanks to Scott's hard work, and the staff prepared wonderful meals. The Carriage House at the Harbor has earned their Four Star AAA rating. Our fellow guests all had the same comment: "We will definitely be back", with many scheduling next year's stay as they checked out. Many of us joked that we don't want the Carriage House to become too popular, so that we cannot get a room next time. Scott and his staff deserve to have this B&B to be very popular.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

My wife and I returned to South Haven again this year and decided to try another Bed and Breakfast. The Carriage House at the Harbor is the place we chose. Our was fantastic, we would awake to the sun rising over the harbor and sat on our deck and had our morning coffee. The food was great as well. My wife really like being able to sit downstairs and play checkers in the evening. The staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. The only thing that we were somewhat unhappy with was that when we reserved our room the website said we would get a sweatshirt with the mid week special we were getting. But we did not get our sweatshirt. Not sure why but that is not enough to stop us from returning. We throughly enjoyed our trip and we will return again.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Carriage House at the Harbor? Share your experiences!