“A GREAT place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Negaunee, Michigan
“A GREAT place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

We reserved two rooms and we both enjoyed our stay! The employee's we came in contact with were extremely friendly. The beds and pillows were awesome! Rested so well!! And LOVE the fact of the mini fridge and microwave in the room!!!! Didn't get time to experience the pool/jacuzzi area this visit, but twice a year we visit this area, and first time we've stayed here, but plan on making this hotel our bi-annual destination!!!!

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

They have a nice lobby. That is pretty much the end of my positive view.
I was staying at another hotel in town for business, but one day was overbooked at that place, so I ended up here for one night. I wouldn't bother coming back. The hotel staff couldn't figure out where my reservation was. When they finally found it, they couldn't figure out who booked it and, though my company had preauthorized payment on a business card, they demanded I pay at the time of check-in. Eventually we got through this, with the manager explaining it as, "Our power went out last night and the computers got messed up." When I got to my room, I found I couldn't lock the door. I realize doors shift with weather, but usually in Michigan this means they don't latch in winter. I could not get the lock to line up with the hole, as it was off by a large margin. Next, this hotel is LOUD. It sounded like there must be someone in the room next to mine doing jumping jacks, but there was no one in the room next to me! I don't know if the noise was from the floor above my room or what, but well into the night it was like a herd of elephants moving through the hotel. Beds were subpar. The breakfast was well below average and boardering on inedible. Next time I'm in town, I'll stay at the Holiday Inn Express instead.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

No longer the Hampton Inn.
After our experience, I'd guess they were 'let go' by corporate. Or they should have been!

First, tried to charge an additional fee for roll-away bed (on phone, offered it free for child, no record when showed up with wife and kids in tow at 11, although they'd already charged credit card). Put us in a different room with 2 beds, instead of king, at originally-agreed upon price. But.....
Out of the frying pan and into the fire....

They could have put us anywhere because the hotel was empty (30% occupancy) but they put us in room 120, where I was awakened regularly - ALL NIGHT LONG! - every 20 minutes, by a loud, throbbing noise like a very heavy chair dragged along floor for 5 seconds right above your head (just enough to wake you up and scare the bejesus out of you!) . Front desk of course had no idea what it was. 10 year old son kept telling me to ignore it - " to pretend we were in one of those fun monster movies!"

He got tired of me jumping awake every time it happened (still was occurring at 8:15 am when 8 year old finally got up) and kid slept on floor rather than jump every time the ceiling rumbled and I awoke.

Paper thin walls. Had to run the air conditioner full time to drown out conversational level talk from adjoining room. They weren't yelling, just talking, but we could hear every word.

Carpets, especially in common areas were filthy. Heat was intolerable in corridors and lobby, (air conditioner in room did help, although controls were obviously broken). How much work does the new management expect a paying guest to do for them?

Anyhow, not sure why they're no longer a Hampton Inn - but if I were the corporate Hampton Inn office, I'd count my lucky stars they left the fold!
Obviously, I will never stay there again. Stick to the chains where there might be some accountability - especially when the properties up and down the street are crying for paying customers. At least I gave them a try, but they failed miserably. I've stayed in more comfortable youth hostels.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

From the moment you walk into this place you realize that this is as good as it gets!!!!! As I mentioned the beds are really like sleeping on a cloud. we splurged and got the jacuzzi suite and had an awesome time. If you get a chance to stay here do it!!!!
Did i Mention how nice the beds were?

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

The beds in this hotel were everything we have come to expect in a Hampton Inn. The rooms were very clean and the staff was extremely friendly. The problem was that the floors are very noisy. You can hear people walking, both in your own room and the room above you, even when they are on the carpet. We found this very strange as we have never encountered this in other hotels before.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ellison Bay Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Stayed there for 3 nights recently and had 2 other rooms for 2 nights for family. The hotel is quite nice, and especially the staff were very helpful and nice. The rooms are decent size, with a mini fridge and microwave. The pool is large but seemed a bit over-chlorinated. Included breakfast was good. The front desk was staffed by Jacklin(?) and she really was helpful and gracious. Breakfast ladies were very attentive. Since the locks are close by, location is good. Rooms at the back of the hotel faced the woods and had a pleasant view. Overall, we would stay again. P.S. we have stayed at 3 other hotels in the area over the last few years and this was definitely the best.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

This hotel has had some renovation and is a good place to stay after seeing the Soo Locks.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Soo Locks Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!