“Would stay again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 18 hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Stanton, Michigan
“Would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel did seem to be in need of new carpet and other updates. I had a king jacuzzi room on the first floor by the back door. The room was a good size, bed was comfy, bathroom seemed dimly lite, the jacuzzi was an odd shape and had some tiles missing. There scuff marks all over the walls and 2 of the 4 pillow cases had stains on them. When I went to check out I took some of my stuff to my car but my key would not let me back into the hotel so I had to walk around. I get to my room and my key wouldn't work in my door. I had to walk up to the front desk and back 3 times before a housekeeper helped me and used her key. Other than that my stay was very nice. I over slept and missed breakfast because the bed was so darn comfy.

• Stayed October 2012
Tori G, General Manager at Soo Locks Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your review. I appreciate all the feed back I can get. We are going through many wonderful changes here at the hotel and I hope that you do stay with us again. You will see first hand all that is going on. Please contact me personally at 906-635-3000.

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Timmins, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night at the end of September. First off there is a very strong gross musty smell throughout the lobby and the hotel. The carpets in the hallways leading up to the rooms and elevator were heavily stained and I suspect might be the culprit for the gorss smell.
The Room was average size and was okay. The room smelt of cigarrette smoke although we were in a no smoking room.
The pool was okay in size and the kids likes it. The hot tub was broken or something and only had lukewarm water.
We attended the free breakfast on the third floor at 8:45 am (open till 10:00 am) and were dissapointed that almost everything was empty and no one was around to re-fill anything.
All and all not impressed with this motel at all and will not be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I do apologize for the less than perfect experience you had while visiting my hotel. I would like to discuss your issues on a more personal level and hopefully make them right. We are now under new ownership and are going through some very exciting changes. Please contact me at 906-635-3000 so I may discuss this with you.
Upper MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was in the Soo for a weekend in September, and booked a room with this location as I was able to get a good rate. I was a little apprehensive after reading some negative reviews, but I had to stick with what I had. I am very glad I did! I see other reviews talking of the need for renovations and updating....they are working on it. Yes I saw stains on the hallway carpeting, and tiles broken in the elevator. But the pool and hot tub were working just fine. Cathy at the front desk was very pleasant and accommodating. I found my room to be very comfortable! The bed was so comfortable I slept like a rock. There is a mini fridge, microwave and mini coffee maker in the room. There was a table, a couple of chairs and 2 beds. The room was clean, and they also offer a free breakfast with real eggs scrambled with hash browns mixed in and sausage links along with the typical waffle maker, fruit juice, donuts and assorted breads for toasting. I found this to be a very comfortable choice at a very decent rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tori G, General Manager at Soo Locks Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am very excited for you to stay with us again and see all of the changes in the hotel! We are now under new ownership and everyday things are improved upon!!!!
Kalamazoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

All rooms in town were selling out fast. By referral from Comfort Inn called the Soo Lodge. We got one of the last rooms. Cathy at the front desk and her fellow staff couldn't have been nicer. The 2 bed room was reasonably priced - they could have inflated the price due to demand. Pleasantly surprised, refrig, micro wave, very clean room with comfortable matresses, and a free breakfast, that included hot and cold foods. I noticed the front desk helping desperate travelers find whatever lodging left in town. They were extremely kind to everyone. Employees were handling disgruntled customers because the hot tub was broken. This was not something we cared about, and we used the computer in the lobby and not the wifi. We were very happy and will reserve a room for a future stay.

Room Tip: top floor away from the elevator for extra quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It was a such a pleasure having you at the hotel and I certainly hope to see you again soon!!!!
Portage, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Breakfast was ok, I guess.; not the best. Pool is not heated and very cooooooold. Hot tub was broke. Clerks were not real friendly. Will not go back. The only reason for staying there is they were the ONLY ones with rooms available; now I know why.

Room Tip: Last resort hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I deeply apologize for your less than perfect experience here at the Soo Locks Lodge. I would really like to make things right with you. Please call me directly and I would love to discuss this.
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This motel was a complete disappointment. Our room had a strong smell that we couldn't figure out what it was. The carpet was dirty and needed to be cleaned... We tried to use the phone but it was not working. We went to use the hot tub and pool and the hot tub was broken and the pool was dirty. I tried to get on the internet and that didn't work. When we checked out my husband asked if they would compensate us for not having a working hot tub and phone and we were told NO!!! I would not recommend this motel......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tori G, General Manager at Soo Locks Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
I am so sorry your trip was less than perfect. We strive to make each stay enjoyable for each guest. I was not aware of your issues until reading this and would very much like to make things right with you.
If you could please contact I would like to discuss this in further detail.
Iron Mountain, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Two night stay.
Pros: Very comfortable beds, lots of wonderful pillows, nice decor, friendly people, awesome breakfast in 3rd floor breakfast room. Quiet room.
Cons: Needs lots of maintenance. Phone did not work. Pool and hot tub were cold, water was murky, filter and heater not working properly. Ice machine on 3rd floor did not work. Wi-Fi did not work. Dirty wall in room. Carpets in hallways needed major cleaning. Employees smoking in front of front entrance and back entrance.

Room Tip: Call about pool and hot tub before you make a reservation!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and each one of your concerns has been addressed. We are now under new ownership and we have made many improvements to the hotel. I invite you to stay with us again and I think you will be very happy with the changes that have been made!

Been to Soo Locks Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!