“Very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Upper MI
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was in the Soo for a weekend in September, and booked a room with this location as I was able to get a good rate. I was a little apprehensive after reading some negative reviews, but I had to stick with what I had. I am very glad I did! I see other reviews talking of the need for renovations and updating....they are working on it. Yes I saw stains on the hallway carpeting, and tiles broken in the elevator. But the pool and hot tub were working just fine. Cathy at the front desk was very pleasant and accommodating. I found my room to be very comfortable! The bed was so comfortable I slept like a rock. There is a mini fridge, microwave and mini coffee maker in the room. There was a table, a couple of chairs and 2 beds. The room was clean, and they also offer a free breakfast with real eggs scrambled with hash browns mixed in and sausage links along with the typical waffle maker, fruit juice, donuts and assorted breads for toasting. I found this to be a very comfortable choice at a very decent rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tori G, General Manager at Soo Locks Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am very excited for you to stay with us again and see all of the changes in the hotel! We are now under new ownership and everyday things are improved upon!!!!

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Kalamazoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

All rooms in town were selling out fast. By referral from Comfort Inn called the Soo Lodge. We got one of the last rooms. Cathy at the front desk and her fellow staff couldn't have been nicer. The 2 bed room was reasonably priced - they could have inflated the price due to demand. Pleasantly surprised, refrig, micro wave, very clean room with comfortable matresses, and a free breakfast, that included hot and cold foods. I noticed the front desk helping desperate travelers find whatever lodging left in town. They were extremely kind to everyone. Employees were handling disgruntled customers because the hot tub was broken. This was not something we cared about, and we used the computer in the lobby and not the wifi. We were very happy and will reserve a room for a future stay.

Room Tip: top floor away from the elevator for extra quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It was a such a pleasure having you at the hotel and I certainly hope to see you again soon!!!!
Portage, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Breakfast was ok, I guess.; not the best. Pool is not heated and very cooooooold. Hot tub was broke. Clerks were not real friendly. Will not go back. The only reason for staying there is they were the ONLY ones with rooms available; now I know why.

Room Tip: Last resort hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I deeply apologize for your less than perfect experience here at the Soo Locks Lodge. I would really like to make things right with you. Please call me directly and I would love to discuss this.
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This motel was a complete disappointment. Our room had a strong smell that we couldn't figure out what it was. The carpet was dirty and needed to be cleaned... We tried to use the phone but it was not working. We went to use the hot tub and pool and the hot tub was broken and the pool was dirty. I tried to get on the internet and that didn't work. When we checked out my husband asked if they would compensate us for not having a working hot tub and phone and we were told NO!!! I would not recommend this motel......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tori G, General Manager at Soo Locks Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
I am so sorry your trip was less than perfect. We strive to make each stay enjoyable for each guest. I was not aware of your issues until reading this and would very much like to make things right with you.
If you could please contact I would like to discuss this in further detail.
Iron Mountain, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Two night stay.
Pros: Very comfortable beds, lots of wonderful pillows, nice decor, friendly people, awesome breakfast in 3rd floor breakfast room. Quiet room.
Cons: Needs lots of maintenance. Phone did not work. Pool and hot tub were cold, water was murky, filter and heater not working properly. Ice machine on 3rd floor did not work. Wi-Fi did not work. Dirty wall in room. Carpets in hallways needed major cleaning. Employees smoking in front of front entrance and back entrance.

Room Tip: Call about pool and hot tub before you make a reservation!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and each one of your concerns has been addressed. We are now under new ownership and we have made many improvements to the hotel. I invite you to stay with us again and I think you will be very happy with the changes that have been made!
rosholt, wi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

One night stay. The place is filthy, the carpets in the hallways and stairs are in dire need of cleaning. The room and bed were OK, but outside of the room this place is pretty shabby. The breakfast was mediocre, with several items in need of restocking when we were there, no forks, no napkins. Would not stay again and would not recommend it to anyone. This former Hampton Inn is in need of an upgrade in cleaning and maintenance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tori G, General Manager at Soo Locks Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Each one of your concerns has been addressed and if you are going to be in Sault Ste Marie please contact me directly. I would like to make your less than perfect stay up to you.
Niagara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We found this by accident/need. The other Hotels and Motels on the stip were all ready full at 21:00 when we arrived in the area, On Entering the reception we were met by the most charming front desk member of staff. Lucky for us they still had a couple of rooms. We were not expecting much for the money but were supprised with what we found. The room was well equipped with Fridge, microwave and a good quiet AC unit. The bathroom was clean and the nights sleep was uninterupted a big 5*for that. Breakfast was included in the standard buffet style. a nice twist (Although it maybe common, but our first time) was the addition of potato shreds to the scramble egg. throughout the hotel was clean and the staff always spoke with a smile.

We asked if there was a good clean, safe beech to visit and the lady in reception (The same one form the night before) recommeded a lovely spot and gave a short cut route to the beech. So impressed wth the beech, hotel and staff we changed our plans and stayed 3 nights in total, all for a reasonable price. This hotel we hope to return too in the future, Well done to the staff!

Room Tip: a ground floor room is best
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your great review! It was a pleasure having you here and we look forward to your return!

Been to Soo Locks Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!