“Simply Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Muskegon, Michigan
“Simply Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Soo Locks Lodge for 2 nights and I must say that it was one of the best places I have EVER stayed!The staff were so kind and Kathy at the front desk was so nice and out-going that whenever we seen her she would talk to us like we had known each other for years!She helped us find our way around,and went as far as giving us complete directions to go on a beautiful ride.Our room was clean and cozy!The bed was so comfortable that I would have loved to take it home!Besides the whole hotel being clean and feeling just like we were at home,the way we were treated was what we loved about it all!!!We felt like we were part of a family while we were there.They really care about the people that come there to stay.They go above and beyond to make their stay an enjoyable experience.My husband and I WILL be going back as we both loved the people and the staff!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tori G, General Manager at Soo Locks Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
I am so happy you had a wonderful time in Sault Ste Marie! I am extra happy that we here at the Soo Locks Lodge helped in making your trip a great one! Can't wait to see you again on your next visit!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

The pictures of this hotel are very misleading. Yes, the lobby is lovely and the outside is attractive but the rooms are dirty. There were stains on the walls, furniture and carpets. The bedspread had stains on it and was quite possibly the lumpiest I have ever seen. I ended up taking a clean blanket out of the closet to use instead. I had a terrible night due to noisy, unruly guests partying in the hallway with their dogs. A german shepherd was bounding up and down the hallway at 1am. I asked for a pet-free room and was clearly put in one of the pet friendly rooms (my allergies confirmed this). The staff promised to address my dissatisfaction with a refund but I was given a discount of less than $10. Terrible customer service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Tori G, General Manager at Soo Locks Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Upon check out you told me everything was wonderful with your room but you did have the complaint about the service animal in the hallway. I also gave you the toll free number for Expedia since they were in fact who charged your card. I cannot refund online reservations. I also offered you a free nights stay on your next visit. You did not say anything about the other complaints you have stated in your review. In fact you complimented on how comfortable the bed was and how impressed you were with the room's cleanliness. I apologize for the discount that Expedia gave you, and I am sorry you were not happy with your stay.
Sault Ste Marie, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We just moved to The Soo and needed to stay in a hotel for weeks while we found a home. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone for a short or long-term stay. Tori gave us a special rate because we were a military family relocating. The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. The staff went above and beyond for us and quickly knew us by name. They let me use the meeting room as a play room for our baby, let me do our laundry, and introduced my family to some of the entertaining things around town. It is hard to relocate your entire family and live out of a hotel for weeks on end and the staff at Soo Locks and Lodge made what could have been a very difficult time for my family a wonderful experience. Also they provide breakfast everyday as well as free wifi.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
It was such a treat having you and your family stay with us! You were the perfect guests and that little guy is a sweetheart! Please keep in touch.
Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

A group of us booked our little weekend getaway with this property in March and loved the hospitality so much that we want the world to know. The staff and management went out of their way to respond to every request in an exemplary manner. The rooms were clean, the pool was the perfect temp and we were simply made to feel like family by each and every staff member we encountered. Staff took care of getting taxis for us and recommened appropriately places to eat in the evenings. We cannot wait to do this again and I would jump at the opportunity to stay there again.

Room Tip: Let the staff be your guide but be sure to tell them your needs. They will respond appropriately.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
You are your friends were so much fun to have as my guest!! I hope to see you again soon for another "ladies only" weekend!!
ALPENA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

The concert was canceled ,so i called the Soo Locks Lodge and canceled my room. I WAS CHARGED for the room i did not stay in. i will not be going to any more concerts. and staying at the Soo Locks Lodge. Dave M

Room Tip: If you are going to a concert stay some place other then the Soo Locks Loudge.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tori G, General Manager at Soo Locks Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
I am sorry for the misunderstanding on your charges. You booked through Expedia and they are the only people that can credit your account. I explained this to you when you called. Your card was not charged by Soo Locks Lodge. As I explained to you on the phone, you would have to contact Expedia and they would have credited your card back for all your charges.
Alpena, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

New managment is a joke, appear to be group of Florida gypsies. Pool is closed and has been since Dec. 2011. They only have bath mats for towels, This place used be a excellent place to stay. We have stayed here every hockey season for five years now.
Now with the NEW managment we will not be coming back,
Front lobby doors do not shut, entire first floor is very cold, for those of you who have never been to Sault St. Maries in the winter. cold is a mild way to explain it....breakfast consists of to kinds of stale ceral, two caraffes of juice and some bagels.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your weekend. The issues that you have discussed have been addressed and have been taken care of. We are now under new ownership and every day making bigger and better changes in the hotel. I hope you will give us another chance.
Windsor, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I only blame myself as I should have read the reviews in here beforehand.
When I arrived after my 6 hr drive, no one was at the desk. I stood there calling out for a few minutes - no response. Went in/out of front door gathering my belongings - still no one at the desk. I called out louder (10 -15 min) later and a "manager" comes out from behind the wall behind front desk?? It was 8pm. Someone else had commented in here about no one at front desk.
When I asked about pool - manager starts blaming past management. Pool is down. I now see pool issues as far back as Oct 2011. Hotels should have to update their websites if there primary amenities are not useable.
Then...I cannot call long distance from phone. (disgustingly dirty phone I should add) Same manager responds he is not sure why and will get back to me. Comes apologetically to my door to explain there is no long distance service.
I went to find the breakfast. Front desk was empty again. I called out and someone came - albeit quicke this time.
I checked out 2 days early - enough is enough.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Soo Locks Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!