“2nd. Stay Here” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Thunder Bay
“2nd. Stay Here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here about a year ago..and enjoyed first stay so we came back...rooms still comfortable and clean..good WI-FI connection..did not have the time to try the breakfast bar this time..good value for your money

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel was clean, had a good breakfast, looked nice in the lobby and room....but when we arrived we were placed in a room right over the lobby entrance which was not cool I'm sure they had other rooms available. Also the air conditioner did not work so we were transferred to another room right next to the one we just had (still over lobby entrance no view). This air condition kinda worked but did not get the room cool like we like (64 F). Overall this hotel was very warm (lobby and rooms). They need to turn the heat down.

Room Tip: Get one that has a good working air conditioner. 2nd floor above the lobby entrance does not have g...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I'd say this hotel is actually between "Average" and "Very Good" but that's not an option in the overall rating. The staff was courteous and our room was ready early which was nice after a long drive. My only real complaint was that our room was quite small...it was pretty cramped with all the furniture and we were a family traveling. The beds were comfortable and the breakfast in the morning was good, although the pancake maker was out of order which was disappointing for the kids.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This was out final stop on our trip to the UP. The hotel is just off I 75 and very close to the Lake Superior State campus. There are several gas stations and a McDonalds nearby.

It's a busy hotel but we found the front staff pleasant and courteous. Check out the room guide to restaurants in the area since you can get coupons to several places if you ask at the front desk.

Room was clean and comfortable. Pool looks nice but we didn't have a chance to use it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Traverse City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I visited this hotel for work in August. The hotel is located just off I75 and next to the college campus. A McDonalds is located just next door as well. The hotel is newer and modern and I found my room to be clean and smelling fresh. They offer a full breakfast, for free, in the morning that inlcuded: eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits, pancakes, juice, coffee, muffins, rolls, fruit and bagels. It was a nice surprise. The pool area is off the lobby which made the floors a little slippery, but that would be my only negative thing to say about this nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Tawas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The room overlooked the Canadian Bridge and the Soo Locks. It was clean, comfortable and the staff was friendly. The continental breakfast was very hot and had lots of variety from warm pancakes, egg omelets, toast, bagels, cereal, yogurt, biscuits & gravy, coffee, danishes, etc. The front desk clerks were busy but helpful. Again, the view was spectacular. Although its right across from the college, which we liked, it is away from downtown and area shopping. There is a shuttle from the hotel to the local Kewadin Casino, but we did not need it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Canadian side, toward the Soo Locks is a nice view. Easy exit on and off the highwa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Farmington Hills, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I booked 3 rooms, and after a 5h drive i was at the hotel 1p, @ check-in i was not greeted as a pc member nor was requested to show ID and the weird thing was WITHOUT EVEN CHECKING ON THE COMPUTER, fd said your rooms are not ready even thou I had requested early check in but how would he know if he don’t read comments on the reservations!!!! FD (Mike) was rude, with 0 hospitality experience!!!!! So waited at the lobby for another 1h to get into my room, then we checked in and we paid cash for 2 rooms and cc for the third room but my cc was authorized 2 times and when I went back to the fd for an explanation, they couldn’t do anything about it, didn’t care much. But offered me an extra 15min to swim at the pool after all this!!! The next day I check my account I see a third authorization on my cc!!! So I go to lobby and requested to talk to the manager to see what is she going to do about it, and when I said your hotel authorized my cc 3 times, the Hotel manager was no difference than her staff, she freaked out, she was rude, she had no idea what is going on, offered no help no compensation, AND DID NOT EVEN SAY SORRY, i was really dispointed from all this so i said i will complain to corporate , She simply and in front of other guests said I’m offering you NOTHING!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sault Ste. Marie, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Sam A,

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Sault Ste. Marie? Share your experiences!