“Still a Very Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Minnesota
“Still a Very Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We have stayed here multiple times and it is still a very good hotel. The rooms are quiet and clean. The entire hotel is clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is very good and they have expanded seating in the lobby area. The only two things that I didn't care for was the bathroom fan was very loud and stayed on as long as you had the light on. Also the lobby area was much too cold. I mentioned this to the staff and they said it was 74 degrees though it felt more like in the 60s. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I'm a real stickler for cleanliness in rooms, the first thing I do is take the sheet off at the corner of the bed and make sure the mattress is clean-- I am also a nut about smells in rooms. I can tell you that I wished I had booked this hotel for more nights! It was extremely clean, smelled clean and every part of the room was sparkling! I had requested a quiet room, and it was granted. No worries. I asked about dinner, and got a great rec' from the front desk. I was even forewarned that there was construction on the main streets and the gentleman on the desk gave me a map and directions on how to avoid it.
Had a delicious and memorable whitefish dinner at the Lockview. Breakfast was busy, but efficient and we had plenty of food to choose from. This was our third week of traveling on the road to vacation spots, and I will definitely come back and stay longer next time!!
Not located on the main drag shops and dining, but it's a 5 min drive -- and a strip mall for all your needs is across the street. A keeper!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed here for a brief vacation. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. The rooms were sparkling clean and the breakfast was delicious. This is the best hotel in Sault Ste Marie. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
De Pere, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past few years when visiting the Sault Ste Marie area with my family. Both times I have been very pleased with the experience. The room is always very clean and well kept, as is the rest of the hotel. The pool is one of the best I have ever used, very large, clean and at a good temperature. The staff is very friendly and willing to accomodate any requests. In addition, the rate has always been an excellent value. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Sault Ste Marie.

Room Tip: Book as early as possible using the internet; I received an excellent rate both times doing this.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Calumet, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is the 3rd summer we have stayed at this hotel when we visited the Soo Locks. Again we found this hotel to be perfect. Our room was spotless. Hotel staff very helpful. The hotel was full so the breakfast bar was definitely a challenge for the staff but everything was kept full and tidy. We will definitely be back.

Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We were returning from a long day trip from South Baymouth on Manatoulin Island. We were very tired and knew this was highly rated in TripAdvisor. There are two sections to this property: the newer is the one featured in the photos. It is also priced almost twice as high as the rooms in the older section across the parking lot. Given the choice of a $140 room vs a $75 room, we opted for the latter and it was just fine. The room was definitely older and could use some updating. It was clean, had a minifridge and microwave (which we used). The surprise was the continental breakfast. Fresh waffles, eggs, cereal, etc. We were pleased with the breakfast. I tipped the attendant since she worked hard to keep everything up to par. Here is another tip: if your car uses diesel and is running low, fill up here if you're traveling south. I ran out of gas before hitting St Ignace. Would stay here again.

Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

We booked the Best Western based on other good reviews. This is our first trip to Sault Ste. Marie, so we can't compare to other hotels in the area, but by driving by them, I'm glad we chose BW. I agree with the other reviewers that this hotel is very clean and kept up. Our room was very clean, including the bathroom, which I can be picky about. No gross mold or dingy shower curtains. Everything looks new! While there is no iron, there is an in-room safe. The fridge and microwave came in handy too. I didn't go down to breakfast, but my husband said it was VERY clean and they had a good selection. The only minor complaint I would have is that the internet connection is slow and kicked me off quite a bit. Otherwise, this is a great hotel and I would stay here again when visiting the area.

Not related to the hotel, we overhead someone recommend a restaurant called the Freighters, so we went there for dinner. It was terrible. The food was only okay and there were only 2 servers. One seemed to be great but we had the other one and she made too many mistakes to list. The quality does not live up to the look of the place. We had better food and service at the little diner across from the locks.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Sault Ste. Marie? Share your experiences!