“"Eh"” 3 of 5 stars

2186 Shunk Road, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783   |
Algoma, Wisconsin
“"Eh"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I'm very much on the fence about this place after having stayed here in recent months for business twice. The place, as a whole, is really very nice. Not overly crowded, ample parking and a pretty nice location. Great aesthetics. The rooms - that's where the jury's still out. My first stay was a room with a king bed. Plenty of room and there was a sitting area with a loveseat/coffee table and a desk/chairs. The room itself was clean - the bathroom, not so much. Had I noticed it when I first checked in, I might have asked for a different room. It was half-cleaned, with soap scum from a bar of soap on the ledge in the tub and rings from where someone's shampoo had been sitting... among other icky things. First time I've ever cleaned a bathroom in a hotel room! The second room had two queen beds with a chair in the corner and the desk/chairs. It seems that the rooms were the same overall size. Room #2's bathroom was just fine but the carpeted floors in the main part of the room left something to be desired. There was one desk chair I refused to sit on and the (carpeted) floor had some sticky spots. Good reminder that you never know what's been on the floors so always wear socks, shoes or slippers! I'm very sensitive to air handling/ air conditioning / heating systems that aren't working well (red eyes in the morning & all stuffed up) - but it was A-OK in both rooms. Neither had an exhaust fan in the bathroom.

I'm a big fan of comfy beds and pillows - the beds were sufficient but pillows not so much... they were somewhere between travel-sized and standard; and just really not very comfortable. Larger gap at the bottom of the door leading out to the hall, so you can hear pretty much everything going on (as can they hear you in your room). Front desk staff was "eh" both times. Not much enthusiasm from what I experienced. Restaurants/places to eat inside the hotel were decent and reasonably priced. I've seen better buffets but it was adequate. There's a little place tucked into the main hallway across from the gift shop that serves burgers and things like that - little pricy but good food and very friendly people behind the counter. Great conference center upstairs! Casino - not so easy to find when I was there the first time! There is gaming on both sides of the hallways at the opposite end of the front desk so be sure to check both places out. There is also a little windowed "nook" towards the middle of the place, down near the restaurants.

Can't say how good your return will be on the gambling as I didn't play very much. They are currently offering $10 per day in "free play" money. Might as well give it a try! Price-wise, I can't attest to that as I was traveling on business and I'm not sure of the regular rates. Overall, I would probably recommend this place as most people staying there are probably coming for the casino - and won't spend much time in their rooms. And I'm overly picky when it comes to some things, so take the time to read as many reviews as you can before making a decision.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice and for a casino hotel in the U P it's very nice. Rates are ok, rooms are decent size. Food was very good. Great drink specials. The only thing is the parking for the hotel is a bit strange. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Essex, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We have stayed here a few times, recently it was this past weekend. On the good side, it is a very nice and friendly hotel and casino and we did enjoy staying there. On the down side, when we checked in we were told it would be 1/2 hr to an hour, we went back an hour and 1/4 later and were told it would be another 1/2. When we went back we were told it would be another 10 mins. which turned into another 1/2.The room we had had a very nice and comfortable king bed. It also had a jacuzzi tub, so there was a lot of mould around the window and under the wallpaper around the window. The door to the room was the only one on the floor without a peep hole and on the inside did not have that upper latch thing. On the whole, other than the above, we do enjoy this hotel and casino and will definitely stay here again. We ate at the Trail Deli and the food was okay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Portage, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as we journeyed around the upper peninsula. Room rate was decent, hotel seemed a bit dated but room was clean & maintained. Only real drawback is like all other casinos SO MUCH smoking but room was pleasant & smok-free. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Parking is a challenge if they are busy but you can pull right up to front doors to unload just be p...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kinross, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and myself each received a $10 Vouchers to play on the casino floor. If you deduct this from my room cost, the room would have been $51. We had no problem with reregistration as our room was ready when we checked in at 5:30 P.M. Room was clean and updated, flat screen t.v., lots of pillows newer looking carpet. Buffet was excellent in the Restaurant with many food choices and excellent desert bar. The casino floor was fun and seemed to have a liberal comping policy over other casinos I have played in. All in all had a nice stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip that was meeting at the hotel conferene area. Had no problems with reservations or check-in. The room was very clean and better than I expected after reading some reviews on tripadvisor. Everything in the room appeared to be newer and clean. I had plenty of room and was satisfied with the condition. Food was good at the restaurant. Didn't gamble very much at all so I can't really comment on how the casino stacks up compared to others. I would defintiely stay here again for work and even on a pleasure trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Annual family trip driving through Ontario/Canada. We've been to this property quite a few times over the last 10 years or so, and have found it to be dependable and consistent, meeting our expectations nicely. Maybe that's because we keep our expectations in line with what it is, but I'm sure we will be returning next year as well. We tried the sister property in St. Ignace last year, but prefer the SSM location by a narrow margin.

Check in can be quick, or not, depending on the line and/or what special events might be going on - as with any event. Staff is certainly efficient. Rooms are clean, basic and comfortable. We always ask for nonsmoking to escape the pervasive smoke smell that is in the public areas. I've never failed to have a good night's sleep there. The onsite dining room has a great buffet with selected meat (turkey or beef) carved to order, and is very reasonably priced with friendly service. The property has a gift shop and carryout snack bar. As far as the casino, half of the gambling contingent of our party reported being somewhat dissatisfied with the new system, but the other half had no problem with it. The nongambling contingent enjoyed the indoor swimming pool which was very nice. The only quibble I have with the physical facility in general is the cavern-like decor of the public areas... very dark with small windows, kind of like the Prison-Dungeon style of architecture. When you get over to the casino, though, the hall there is very brightly lit. Vegas this isn't, but it is the relaxing feeling of the North Woods of Michigan that you feel in this casino hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Kewadin Casinos Hotel? Share your experiences!