“Bed and Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saugatuck's Victorian Inn

Saugatuck's Victorian Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Saugatuck's Victorian Inn
447 Butler Street, Saugatuck, MI 49453   |
Ranked #18 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Bay City, Michigan
“Bed and Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Great little B&B with easy access to downtown and the harbor. Hotel was clean, neat quiet, and the breakfast was wonderful the next morning. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012 via mobile

First the good news - the location was superb, the front porch is a great place to sip a drink, and the people go by.

Now the bad news - the inn needs lots of maintenance, torn and peeling wall paper, cracked tiles, cracked glass table tops, new mattresses. The breakfast went from very good the first day to very bad the next. It just seemed like the innkeeper's mind was on other things. She was not very helpful in letting us know whats going on in town, restaurant ideas, etc.

Overall, it wasn't that good, we won't be back

• Stayed May 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

..although our experience rated a 3. But the tepid review I was mentally composing on our first evening softened after chatting with the owner at breakfast. What a difference it would have made for our stay if we realized the innkeeper was so approachable and friendly!-- contrary to our initial impression. We rarely venture into B & B territory, so a tutorial was in order. What rooms can we use on the main floor? If the innkeeper's watching TV in the sitting room is it off limits to us? Is the kitchen open to all-- are those laughing people we heard below our room in the evening other fun guests that we can join, or is it your private space after breakfast hours? Why is there a cooler on the front porch, and can we use it? When is the front door locked and/or unlocked? How do we find you and how late is it permissible to do so if we have a question-- like how does the fireplace work, or what's the unmarked remote on the nightstand for? We found out too late about the nook with wine glasses available for guests, and the mysterious hidden shower valve forced us to take baths instead when neither of us could locate it. The bed was stiff, two pillows too meager. Grrr. But after exploring Saugatuck on foot from that great location in the heart of it all but far enough away from the late-night noise, then ending the evening with friendly guests on the comfy front porch, we mellowed after hearing they return year after year because they feel so at home. A relaxing breakfast in the well planned kitchen with a much friendlier Jane (we've decided her manner the day before was a combination of being a little bit shy and trying to give us our space) convinced us that our stay would have rated “4” if just one thing happened-- a brief tour of the main floor and escort to our room would have answered every one of the questions we didn't know we needed to ask.
Now, the pesky details-- wifi available, but too weak in our room. Room small but acceptable. Place sparkling clean. Breakfast tasty but I so wished to ask for the empty decaf pot to be filled; noticing that a guest does not have a beverage, then offering an alternative, would be gracious...as would encouraging seconds when there is food left over and timid guests are hoping you'll do so instead of wrapping it up and putting it away, since the meal was tasty but not over generous-- no breakfast meat accompanied our slice of quiche, sweet breads & fruit. But should all this keep you from staying at Saugatuck Victorian Inn? No! Because you now know everything I wanted to know but was afraid to ask. We will be back...with extra pillows!

Room Tip: Photos on website will help you avoid the smaller rooms if space is what you need.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I treated my daughter to her first b & b, and while she liked it, we were both somewhat disappointed. The room was small, the bathroom smaller, with no room for a comfortable sitting chair. Breakfast on 2 mornings was high-carb (bread pudding and banana loaf, poppyseed loaf...then cheese crepe souffle which we passed on). Quiche on Sunday morning, and the ever-present fresh fruit salad each morning. Yogurt and cold cereals were present, but I guess I expected some protein, like scrambled eggs. The innkeeper had a small dog that seemed to always be by her side, and while I like dogs in general, I don't like animals that jump on me. There was a pass-thru to the kitchen where a small wet bar was located; however, she didn't suggest we help ourselves to the open wine. I got the overall impression from many businesses that they're tired of summer and can't wait for Labor Day to be over with. (We were there the last weekend of August.) However, we enjoyed the shopping and tourist-y things. The Harbor Duck boat driver was a hoot, and the InterUrban bus driver very friendly. Lots to see and do! I'll go back someday...but not to this b & b.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face the street, and if you have a chance to view a couple of rooms firs...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

This place is great, depending on what you're looking for. My wife and I stayed for a long weekend. The location right at the base of town is fantastic. You can walk to all the local shops and restaurants. The room we stayed in was very small, and the bathroom was even smaller. However, having stayed in several B&Bs in the past this was not unexpected, and quite honestly for the price we paid it was just fine. The B&B hosts were nice. The room was clean. Breakfast was tasty. Overall we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

It was my first time to Saugatuck so wasn't sure what to expect on any front. This B&B was very charming, clean and a beautiful old victorian. The owner is very efficient and helpful for things to see around town. The larger rooms/suites seemed very nice when I was able to see but since I was a solo traveller I chose one of the basic small rooms. Breakfast was always good and prompt at 9am. The location is fantastic. It's located about 2 blocks from the main shopping and pedestrian area. So you are not right in the hustle/bustle (if you could call it that) but can be in the main area within 5 minutes on foot. Overall a very pleasant experience for me taking a shot at my first time visiting there and I would have no hesitations about rebooking at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Just wanted to report that my husband and I had another wonderful time at the Inn. This is our 6th visit to the Inn. I come to Saugatuck to a weeklong art class on a yearly basis and always stay in the Inn. My husband is with me on the weekends and loves to sit and read on the front porch and spend time talking with the innkeeper who is a delightful person. I love the Inn and have really enjoyed breakfast time where I have met so many lovely people. The Inn is like a home away from home for me. The rooms are comfortable, the food is always delicious and the location could not be better for a visit to the Saugatuck/Douglas area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Saugatuck's Victorian Inn? Share your experiences!