“Breathtaking View” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Shore Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Lake Shore Resort
You added Lake Shore Resort to your Saves list
2885 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 121, Saugatuck, MI 49453   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Saugatuck
Columbus, Indiana, United States
“Breathtaking View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I found this hotel quite by accident while researching the Saugatuck area, and I am so happy I did. Located down a beautiful residential street-you would never expect to find a hotel there. The view is simply breathtaking.
Other reviewers may have commented that the furniture in this hotel needs updating, but I did not find that to be true. The furniture was nice, the rooms were very very clean with crisp sheets and lovely quilts. Having a fridge in the room made it nice to get snacks from the grocery store in town.
The breakfast buffet was wonderful every morning. You can choose to eat it there in their beautiful breakfast room overlooking Lake Michigan or take a tray to your room. There was an assortment of cold cereals, oatmeal, two kinds of fruit, boiled eggs, bread from a local bakery (oh my gosh you have to try the bacon bread) and the pastries.....YUM. My personal favorites were the puff pastries filled with creme cheese, but there were also sticky buns and cinnamon rolls.
The outside grounds were top notch. Great gas fire pits that were lit every night before sunset and other seating arrangements placed for just the perfect view of the sunsets on the beach. We enjoyed swimming in the heated pool as well as swimming in the lake. You couldn't ask for a cleaner more private beach.
Saugatuck is a great getaway for shopping and some amazing restaurants. We enjoyed The Butler, Phil's, Hercules (Greek) and Marros (Italian)
Trust me, this is the stand out place to stay in Saugatuck. Just to sit on the deck or any of the seating areas and relax and look at the lake was something we enjoyed from the early morning until night.
I met the owner one evening while I was enjoying a glass of wine on the deck and he could not have been nicer. We actually met lots of great people who were also staying there....everyone was so friendly.
All in all, for a trip that is only four and a half hours from my hometown of Columbus, Indiana.....leaving in the morning and by the afternoon having my toes in the sand on the beach....AMAZING!!!!!!!!
My sister and I are already planning our trip back to the Lake Shore Resort same time next year.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We came here expecting Saugatuck to be this magical shop and fudge paradise. Then we watched the sunset from the patio of the Lake Shore Resort and kinda forgot about the whole "lets wander around looking at and buying crap we don't need" (except for the chicken purse. Everyone needs a chicken purse). But it was just so nice to just be a foot from our room and feel the breeze and listen to the waves down below. Read the other reviews if you want specifics but this was just what we needed and we will definitely come again. AND I AM BUYING THE CHICKEN PURSE AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME... and some fudge.

• Stayed June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful trip at this quaint / peaceful resort in Saugatuck... The picturesque views were uncanny and breathtaking. The owners were extremely hospitable. We highly recommend it and plan on returning next season...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Went there for a romantic trip with my girlfriend in the 2nd week of September. Although it was overcast and cold on our first evening there, we still went for a walk on the beach. The descent down the 90 steps to the beach wasn't that bad. The trip back up, if taken quickly can leave you short of breath. I'm overweight, but I still made it up and down the steps several times without incident. My girlfriend is in shape and the stairs for her were a bit laborious.

But the obstacle of the stairs are totally worth it to get down to the nice sand and enjoy a bottle of wine while watching a beautiful sunset. I'm sure swimming would be very nice as well, but as the water was probably around 50 degrees, we opted to stay on the shore and skip stones.

Our room was a lot better than I anticipated, the mini-fridge was outdated but kept our beverages ultracold. We had our windows open most of the trip so we didn't notice any foul smells or anything. And waking up to a view of Lake Michigan is something I could get used to! Our bathroom had no signs of rust like some other reviews and the shower was easy to operate with one handle...and had enough room for 2, if you're pickin up what I'm puttin down!

My only complaint with the room was that the handle to the outside door was very troublesome to lock, often requiring a hand on the outside to steady the handle and then gently "flick" the lock to make it lock. The TV was a standard CRT, but I'd highly suggest venturing out of the room and experiencing Saugatuck or Douglas. One night, there was a wedding reception at the Hunters Lodge, which is nearby...and the music was so loud that I could hear it through our walls and over the TV. I briefly mentioned it to management the next morning and they explained where it had been coming from.

Around town there's various small-town things to do, I'd highly suggest Saugatuck Brewing Company, as that was the best place we went all weekend. Also, the Keewatin was a very impressive site to see, although we didn't take a tour it was worth a quick stop. We went to Salt of the Earth in Fennville to celebrate our recent engagement (proposed on this trip) and were throughly unimpressed. Slow service, cold food, and expensive. I would have rather gone to the Brewery.

All-in-all, definately an awesome trip and we're already making plans to go back sometime soon...probably after our wedding.

Hebron, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I recently returned from a stay at the Lake Shore Resort. This is an older hotel and the rooms definitely could use an update. While the room was clean, the shower fixtures were rusty and the the door handle was a little loose and it made unlocking the door a little hard. The room smelled very musty and moldy. Thin walls, too....either that or my neighbors just had their tv too loud but I did hear their alarm clock go off in the morning. The room was fairly spacious though and the bed was very comfortable with cute comforters.

The grounds are really nice and well kept. There is a really nice pool which I didn't use because it was too cold out. There is also a small putting green and a lot of chairs, benches and tables around in the yard as well as a couple of fire pits. Just across the narrow street (with virtually no traffic) are the approx. 90 steps down to the beautiful private beach. There are two decks with tables and chairs as well as a bench to rest on the way down. The steps are quite steep and the depth of them is quite short so you have to be extra careful on them. The beach was immaculate and there are chairs and umbrellas down there as well as kayaks to use. I also believe they have bicycles you can borrow while there, too.

What can I say about the view other than it's simply breathtaking! I would love to come back in the summer when it's warmer so I could spend more time out there gazing at the lake and it would be great to sleep with the windows open and listen to the waves. Too cold for that when I was there. The resort is easy to get to and it only takes a few minutes to get to downtown Saugatuck. I would definitely stay here again but hope to see a few updates next time.

The staff was very helpful and friendly and made me feel welcome. All the other guests were friendly , too and it was enjoyable to be there and talking to them in the evening. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed three days at this resort. The setting along Lake Michigan is one of the best I've experienced in 40 years of traveling throughout Michigan. The rooms are standard, nothing to write home about. But with a setting like this, the tranquil beach only a stroll away, and the setting sun marveling us each evening, one should not be spending very much time in the room.

Room Tip: Book far in advance and ask for room #40. It's the best in the houe by far!!
fort wayne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

My wife and I just returned home from our stay at the Lake Shore Resort. The grounds are beautiful and the view across the lake is spectacular. If you are looking to watch a beautiful sunset and relax , I mean really relax , than the Lake Shore Resort is the place you want to be. If I had one issue with our room it would be the faucets in the bath tub. They were a bit tough to adjust to your proper water temps. They are older with a Hot Faucet and a Cold Faucet. But we had plenty of hot water. Every morning they served a Continental Breakfast in their lobby. Great variety of muffins , danish , bagels , toast , oatmeal , hardboiled eggs, and of course coffees and teas and juices. You get the idea.

They had some nice sitting areas outside all of the rooms. And plenty of Adirondack Chairs you could sit in the lawn to watch the sunset. Just across the road ( not a busy street by the way ) is the access down to the beach. 90 stairs to the beach ! But they have tables, chaise lounge chairs , etc so you could relax and read a book or just walk the beach. They had kayaks you could take out with life vests. It was a bit breezy so we opted to just walk the beach.

They provide bikes to ride and like I said you could ride up and down LakeShore Drive as it is not a busy street and everybody seems to know their are bikers and walkers constantly. We brought our own bikes and rode into Saugatuck. About a 4 mile bike ride.

We did not use the heated pool but it was clean and well kept. The entire grounds was kept very nice. We always saw somebody out picking up and doing work both mornings we were there. The rooms are fine. We don't stay in our room all day so as long as we had a comfortable bed ( which we did ) and a hot shower ( which it was ) than we are one happy couple. We spent most of both days out and about. Saugatuck and Douglas are minutes away from the Resort. Plenty of shopping and enough places to eat in Saugatuck. Douglas has a few small shops and a few places to eat. We also went to Holland and went out to their State Park to see the BIG RED Lighthouse.

But the money shot is the sunsets. They were gorgeous both nights we were there. 9/6 and 9/7. A bottle of wine, or your favorite beverage, and just sit back, relax and let Mother Nature take over. They have a couple of gas Fire Pits that are very nice to sit around to watch or just hang out wherever you would like and ENJOY.

My wife and I looked around to see other places to stay but we did not find another place that had such a great location.
So would we go back ??? The answer without hesitation is YES. The location is great , the staff is friendly , the accomodations are excellent. Go to Lake Shore Resort and RELAX.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Lake Shore Resort? Share your experiences!