“A great reason to visit Saugatuck in the "off" season” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 50 Restaurants in Saugatuck
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Holland, Michigan
“A great reason to visit Saugatuck in the "off" season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have been here several times before. I couldn't quite give it an excellent rating since there have been an occasional glitch from time to time. The atmosphere is always warm and inviting and the food is great. That last time we went was a few weeks ago and they were understaffed. It is hard for them to predict how busy they are going to be in the off season. They did their best and it turned out to be great evening. Great British beers help a lot. I've been to England, this isn't it but I'll give them credit for trying! I've had ribs, steak, shepherds pie, chicken pot pie and most recently fish and chips. I'd order anyone of them again. Prices are reasonable

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Otsego
“Disappointment1”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Have been a long time fan of Chequers but not any longer. Food was bad and over priced and service was horrible. Had Fish and Chips which no one could touch before and now I believe frozen Fish and Chips would be better. French Fries soggy and possibly frozen to start with. Waiter did not offer refills on water or ice tea. Waiter was not very attentive. I reflected this in my tip. One gentleman (possible new owner) spent most of time telling stories to one table who apparently was a friend of his. However, he ignored everyone else in the restaurant. Don't waste your time or money.

Visited November 2012
Michigan
“Dependable brit pub food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Nice atmosphere (Great English antiques/posters), friendly waiter. Fantastic Bangers and Mash (which you don't see on menus much). I love the brit-centric selection, so much better than many place's "pub fare".

I wish they had more on tap, but was still able to order something I really wanted bottled.

I try to eat here whenver in Saugatuck and am never disappointed when it works out (it's not always open when I'm in town).

Visited November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Only good thing is the atmosphere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I have been going to Chequers 3 to 4 times a year just to sit at the bar for drinks while listening to a local wonderful amazingly talented musican. On a recent Saturday night we were joined by friends and decided to eat dinner since the bar was full. The one and ONLY server gave us menus immediately but we received very poor service for the remainder of the evening. We started with the Welsh Rarebit appetizer which is melted cheese served with pieces of ordinary white toast. Cheese wasn't very warm to begin with. We asked for additional toast and by the time the server brought a plate with a single toasted (leftover?) bun the cheese was cold. It would have been nice if he offered to warm up the cheese if he knew it was going to take forever... and why a toasted BUN? No thank you. Had to ask repeatedly for more water after waiting what seemed as an unreasonably long time for additional drinks. Prices are a little high to give the impression that the food is something special. Not so much . My thoughts are if the new management is cutting back on the service they are also cutting back in the kitchen And it shows.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Allegan, Michigan
“Good Food, but a bit overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had read a review about their chicken pot pie, so decided to head over for dinner. My sister and I each had a chicken pot pie and my husband had the sheperds pie. Both were good and large orders, which is why they may have been priced at $13 and $14 (overpriced). My husband also had a bowl of potato soup, which was good (not great), but was $6 (it was a bowl of soup). Also $2.79 for a soda or tea is a bit steep. If I'm craving a chicken pot pie, maybe I'll stop by.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere