“Wasn't horrible. Wasn't good.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 47 Restaurants in Saline
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Excellent tavern for travelers looking for an authentic - local Michigan tavern in Saline (15 minutes frm Ann Arbor) - nice selection of beers, many burger choices
Michigan
“Wasn't horrible. Wasn't good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stopped in for lunch on a Monday (wanted to go to Downtown Diner, but they are closed on Mondays). I sat at the bar, since I was by myself. The kitchen is literally right at the bar. You'd think this would ensure a nice clean kitchen, but not the case! The thing I found most disturbing was the cambro of raw hamburger patties that sat on the counter the entire time I was there (well over an hour and a half). They were sitting at room temperature when I got there, and they were sitting there at room temperature when I left. Danger zone, anyone?

Since I was on top of the kitchen, I had the pleasure/problem of seeing everything be made. The food came out of bags and went into the freezer: chicken, fries, etc... It was typical inexpensive bar food. I asked for ranch dressing and got a little pouch of Newman's. Doesn't appear to have anything homemade. :(

Nice long beer list that appears to change weekly, though they had run out of the first beer I ordered.

$10 minimum to use a debit or credit card. FYI.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Not my favorite bar...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I hear people say they love Dan's... I have been there 4 or 5 times and was just never impressed. Had a guy at the bar threaten us one time because he didn't like that we were sitting at a table laughing. He was very drunk and though we were laughing at him. Waitress/bartender did nothing. Fortunately, he didn't either. Once I wanted some food and had to run to Wendy's to get anything and brought it back in to eat there. Glad they at least let me do that. In general, the crowd was not my type of crowd. Lots of people drinking too much, had an experience with a middle-aged woman who was overly flirtatious and scantily clad. Just weird. I just prefer classy joints, I guess. On the other hand, if you like NASCAR and want a place to get crazy with a bunch of crazies... this may just be the "hole in the wall" for you!

Note: I have not been there since they expanded into the space next door. I will maybe give them another shot at some point and see if it is different. Also, I was always over there later at night, so I can't say anything about the day crowd.

Saline, Michigan
“Great Beer menu and decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I grew up in Saline and remember when "The Keg" used be where Dan's is now. I remember it being a "blue collar watering hole" type kind of place that I was not allowed to go near when I was young. Fast forward a bunch of years and now I am a regular at Dan's. Completely different vibe as the place has been renovated and expanded. I am somewhat of a beer snob and LOVE the beer menu. Lots of great beers on tap - best place to get the good stuff in Saline. The food menu was very good as well, although the last time i went they thrifted it down a bit. I don't know if it's a permanent thing or not, but will keep going back...

Visited March 2012
Ann Arbor
“Burger Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Dan's just updated their burger menu - and I thought don't mess with what works - It's FANTASTIC!

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Michigan
“Fun place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is a great place for people from all walks of life. Farmers, blue collar, white collar - it's a mish mash. Typical bar food and good drinks. Very friendly patrons.

Visited January 2012