“Wonderful!!” 5 of 5 stars

100 Main Street, Saint Joseph, MI 49085   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
“Wonderful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2004

It was the best hotel I ever stayed at! Anywhere! The free food was the deal clincher for me, though it wasn't exactly free considering we had to catch the crunchy delights as they leaped from the curtains to the table in our room. But what made it even better was the snacks we were able to remove from the walls on our way down to the pool. Sometimes they were fast, though, but that only delighted the kids as if in the middle of a great game. A wonderful bonus as well was the bathroom in a central floor room, it was for the whole floor! My wife and I got to meet SO many new people waiting in line to use the lavatory. Having to 'jiggle the handle' now has a whole new meaning to me. There are so many great things about this hotel that I can't mention them all here, but I think my favorite part of my trip to Saint Joseph was the tour of Benton Harbor with 'Popcorn', a sweetly-sour smelling black man who was nice enough to ride in our car and show us the wonderful sights down Pavone St., Euclid Avenue, and Territorial Avenue where we could find more escorts any time we wanted. And he did all of that for just a bottle of NightTrain! What a wonderful soup kitchen you have Benton Harbor, perhaps we'll find more crunchies on your wall next time we visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2004

This hotel has not been kept up at all. All of the rooms on our floor had no smoking signs on them, but when we stepped off the elevator you could see the smoke. One room had there door open with chain smokers sitting in there. When asked about this we were told that the rooms had been changed to smoking but the signs had not been taken off the doors yet.The hallways and door were dingy and dirty. We had to fix the toilet after it was flushed each time. The ice machines were not working on at least two floors and our daughter had medicine that required refrigeration. We booked two nights there but only stayed one. The deal breaker was when we returned to our room for the third time after 3:00 this time to find our room still not made up. The maids had been on our floor since 11:00. The only positive thing I can say is that the staff is very friendly. We ended up at the Holiday Inn Express, it was wonderful.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2003

The Clarion St Joseph is one of the worst hotels in which I have ever stayed. It was dirty, many things were broken, and our room was infested with spiders. I am NOT exaggerating. We would have sought a different hotel, but it was 11pm when we arrived and we were traveling with a young child. Save your money and stay at a Super 8, or for the same price stay at the Holiday Inn Express Saint Joseph.

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!