“Disgusting!!!” 1 of 5 stars

100 Main Street, Saint Joseph, MI 49085   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
“Disgusting!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place is a mess !! first off the front desk manager was rude and failed to inform us that the pool was out of order. Our room was filthy feces in the toilet and just disgusting. We rented a king jaccuzi suit pictures are very decieving . called to have housecleaning come reclean the room . At least the houscleaning lady was pleasant. the pool was out of order tho we were not notified let us walk by with 3 and 4 yr old children in their suits and failed to even say the pool heater was broken .the lobby was redone apparently nothing else was!! Just plain Gross!!! The kids play area was filthy floor was nasty and toys do not look like they had ever been disinfected . I say STAY AWAY !!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
SBHotelSaintJoseph, Public Relations Manager at Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Cynthia:

I am confused by your review. When you checked in we told you that the pool was out of order before we gave you your room. Then you snuck children into a room meant for two people to save money. Our rooms are thoroughly checked before guests check in and there was by no means any lingering items in the toilet. In fact, that room had just been checked. I believe you are a bit angry because you got caught trying to use our rooms for more people than were allowed to save money, and we understand as times are hard. We wish you well.

The Silver Beach Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Valparaiso, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Patio door didn't seal and very cold air was blowing in causing the heater to turn on every 10 minutes all night long! Heater was very noisey - room went from cold to warm to cold, etc. Sink in the bathroom wouldn't drain. Pillows on the bed were very uncomfortable - too thick. Bed was very worn - large swals in middle - very uncomfortable. Had to request extra blankets - no extras in room and only one on the bed. TV station selections were very limited. Facility looks run down - directional cover was missing on the heater - coverlet were missing on the toilet seat.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was just okay. There was no oatmeal, yogurt, or fruit. The scrambled eggs and sausage were good.

We would NOT recommend this hotel to others especially for that price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Suzann:

First we apologize about the weather, there is just not much we can do about a Polar Vortex. I went up and checked your room and the sink is fine and heater is fine as well. There is a small crack in the plastic grate where hot and cold air come out so I am having maintenance replace that now. Thanks for pointing it out, its small so we would not have seen it.

We have all new beds in our hotel as well as a microwave, mini fridge, toiletries, coffee and coffee maker, cable tv and extra blankets in all of our rooms. Also, if you book online there is a hot deal rate for using our website, click that next time for 15% off. Also, when you are here next, there is yogurt, fruit and oatmeal. It is located on the table next to the waffle station to your left with the hot tea and coffee. Thanks and we hope to see you again.

The Silver Beach Hotel
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The Parrot Heads of Michiana along with the the Lake Michigan Land Sharks club held our annual Barefoot Children in the Sand fund raiser this past weekend. The staff at the Silver Beach are phenominal. We pretty much take over the hotel and they are very accommodating. The hotel is a little old but clean. The staff even cleaned the snow off our cars on Sunday before we were ready to leave. What service!!! In the cost of our event was breakfast & a themed dinner. Nothing big and fancy but very good.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to spend some time in Michigan just steps away from the lake. It is very nice to be there in the summer too.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We went to the Silver Beach Hotel for a Party with a Purpose Parrot Head weekend this weekend. The Hotel is an older hotel in downtown St. Joseph Mi. The event included dinner Friday evening, all three meals Saturday and breakfast Sunday morning. Live and DJ entertainment both Fri. And Sat. Some was donated some they hired. Awesome entertainment all weekend. The only thing not included were drinks. (Cash bar). The rooms were clean, the food was all very good. The service and Staff were excellent. Everyone was very friendly and very attentive right down to the maintenance personnel that came up right away to fix a clogged sink. We all got up Sunday morning to the snow cleaned off our cars. I have never seen any hotel do that.

Yes, the hotel is a little dated, but we were very comfortable. They all went out of their way to make this a Great weekend at a very reasonable price.

Based on my experience, I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

After reading reviews we were scared to book but decided to go ahead and if it was to bad we would leave. So glad we did. The hotel had the best location we could ask for. I loved the birds and don't understand the negatives. If you don;t like them stay away from them. Our room was clean and the bed was comfy. The shower head was low but not a deal breaker. Also don't understands the complaints on the shampoo/conditioner dispenser. I loved it and if you don't bring your own! The bar was very busy so we did not stay late but loved the idea of it being on the premises. And asked for a room on a upper floor in case of noise. We were in a standard king. Loved the balcony and sheets. Drove by the Holiday Inn and it's on the bluff miles away from downtown St. Joseph. We could walk anywhere. Can't wait to visit again. Thanks

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Horrible experience. The place is run down and severely neglected and way overpriced. Got married end of July and stayed here along with wedding party/guests. Suggested the guests stay here so had 6-8 rooms (I think 13-14 room nights at average $150 totaling over $2000) and every one of them were dirty on arrival. Hair on floors and in sheets, dirt around the rooms, dirty and stained sheets, unclean showers, etc. My bride to be stayed in one of the expensive whirlpool rooms which had water leaking on the floor. When they called the front desk they sent someone to mop, wasn't until the 2nd night we called the 3rd time maintenance came up and found that toilet was separated by about 3/16" from the wall! So the wedding party were basically getting ready in raw sewage! Pool was extremely dirty also. As a reference, I traveled for 3 years living in different hotels every week ranging in price from $29/night to over $600/night and this was the most disgusting hotel by far and my first negative review. DO NOT STAY HERE! There may be positive reviews but it's a gamble that is not worth it for the price. Just to know how bad it was for me, I chose to stay in a tent for my honeymoon instead of this hotel! I told the manager that I was going to stay in a tent instead of there for another night and gave her a chance to correct it but did not get far. She took a bit off our bill for 4 room nights, $120 total which she said is all she could do but was not acceptable to me. She basically said she will see what else she can do but it will be up to the owners. I told her they should offer a return visit, which I said I would not use, and take off the room that had the raw sewage in it. I am still waiting for her response. BBB is next.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Middlebury, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I never write reviews but feel one, in this case, is very necessary. My husband and I just spent the weekend away in St. Joseph. We looked online at this hotel and it looked like a wonderful romantic place to stay. We booked a lake view room, Ha! We arrived at the hotel and the first thing I said to my husband was "This cant be the same place we saw on the website!" He said "Maybe it is better inside" At that point we should have gotten back in our car and drove down the road to the holiday inn. We went in and checked in. When we got up to our room I was immediately pissed. The freaking floor was filthy!! It looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in months. The room was dirty and smelt bad. There was hair in the shower, which by the way was so sort my 6'1" husband had to basically kneel to use. And while we are talking about the shower. Those pump containers with the shampoo and bodywash and conditioner...really!! That isn't even remotely sanitary. O and the little container of mouthwash and lotion. They both said if seal broken do not use. Well guess what. The seals were broken. What are you refilling them?? The only reason we didn't storm down and leave was because I knew we were leaving to go to the wineries and to supper at Tabor Hill and I knew I would be too intoxicated to care when I came back. The pool area was gross too. Glad my husband was with me to check it out otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get in!! I am 4' 11" and you have to push a button that is 6 feel in the air and pull the handle at the same time. I am not near tall enough for it. Made me a little mad. The hot tub looked like someone had cut a hole in the cement and stuck a cheap fair hot tub in there. I think that they need to spend less on bird food and paying people to photo shop their online pics and more on actual updates to this roach motel. Needless to say the Silver Beach NOTEL and I are never ever, ever getting back together.....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!