“One of the nicest hotels if not the nicest in St Ignace” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Madison, Wisconsin
“One of the nicest hotels if not the nicest in St Ignace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

The hotel was nice, location was great (near the ferries) and the breakfast was decent. The man running the breakfast was very efficient and friendly. We were on the top floor which was great since the hotel was full and very busy. My only complaint is that I was concerned about the bill under my door in the morning since I had booked this hotel using Orbitz, the matter was effficiently taken care of by the Manager who happened to be at the front desk in the morning. I would stay here again....

Room Tip: ask for top floor
Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
MICHIGAN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Have chosen this property many times before, usually with good results.Not this time. Made reservation 6/18 for a 3 day stay, starting 7/31. Requested a room on the highest floor (4th) and 2 or 3 doors from the elevator. Plenty early enough for my request to be honored, right? Wrong. I was put in room 316, which is on the 3rd floor, and quite aways from the elevator. Even though I have platinum status in the chains "priority club", they couldn't find a way to give me the room location I'd requested. Upon checking in, I was told "we're very full tonight, and this is the best we could do". When I got to my room I found many of the electronic items not woking ( weren't plugged in ) no pad or pen for notes or reminders, and I had to call maintenance because the lock on the door to the balcony would not work. Finally, when preparing to checkout, I noticed my bill had mysteriously jumped from $607 to $782. very dissapointed. Management needs to take more care in honoring special requests, and room readiness.

Room Tip: Don't bother. You'll get what they give you.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
UpN0rthGirl, Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Ignace, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Unfortunately during peak season we cannot guarantee special requests. Our hotel is full or nearly full every night and when there are many people staying for multiple nights there are times when we do not have specific rooms available.

If there is an issue with your bill please contact me directly at the hotel and I would be more than happy to help in anyway I can.

Once again thank you for the review and thank you for staying with us.

Assistant GM
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We booked this hotel due to its close proximity to Mackinac Island and great view. The hotel was fairly close to the island ferries and has a wonderful view of Lake Huron and Mackinac Island. We especially enjoyed watching the ducks swim while we were looking out our window.

The staff was friendly and provided helpful information about the local area. When we checked in, the room was very clean. I did a very thorough "Hotel Impossible" style inspection and the room passed with flying colors.

On a not so positive note, a couple things occurred that should never happen to a hotel guest.

First, another guest walked into our room while we were watching TV after check-in. Our door opened up and a family started walking in on us. After meeting with the family that walked in on us, I checked to see if their hotel key worked for our room. I swiped the other guest's key and the light turned green. Needless to say we were quite upset and concerned that another guest had access to our room. We immediately informed the front desk. They apologized and reset our keys. This is the first time this has ever happened to us at a hotel. I don't know the cause of this situation (human, computer, or mechanical error) but it happened.

The second incident (not as severe as the first) was regarding our housekeeping service after check-in. We ordered a pizza and had it delivered to our room. We left the pizza boxes on the dresser. We spent all of next day at Mackinac Island and noticed our pizza boxes were still on the dresser. We have stayed in hotels all over the USA and this was the first time we came back to trash in our room. We were so tired from the island and was very late at night so we waited until the next morning to inform the front desk. They apologized.

Pros
Location
Initial room cleanliness
View from room (we had the lake view)
Friendly and helpful staff

Cons
Issues mentioned above
Seating was very limited during breakfast (crowded)
Food was ok

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am sorry for the issues that you experienced during your stay. If there is anything further that hotel management can do please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you back in the future.

Assistant GM
Gladstone, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is one of the better HIE's you can stay in. The view off the backporch is great. It was clean and the rooms were fresh looking. The location is close to all the ferry's taking people to Mackinaw Island.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Troy,MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We are Holiday Inn Priority members and have stayed at many Holiday Inns. This time we booked our lakeview room through Orbitz. Upon checking in we were given a handicap room, right across from the laundry room, which we then promptly returned to the front desk for a new room. She then told us that since we booked through a third party site we only had certain rooms available to us! And that we should of booked through their website. Our second room was right next to the elevator and got a sore neck trying to view the lake from our room! It was only one night thankfully. So be aware if you book through a third party site, you will surely get the worst room in the place. If you do, approach the front desk for a new room...even through orbitz it was a pricy room. their booking process is skewed.
The hotel itself was standard Holiday Inn Express - clean, beds comfortable and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Ignace, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Laine9,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. We strive everyday to create special experiences to our guests and we are sorry if some aspects of our hotel accommodation was not at par with your expectations. Your feedback will help us improve our services and offer a great experience for our guest.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Somehow this holiday inn was skipped over when the chain did all of their remodels a few years ago. I think it's because they can get away with it since it is such a tourist trap. If you aren't staying on the island you want somewhere close and cheap and holiday inn fits the bill. However the main level is actually the second floor and you will want a room on that level because the lower level has a funky/mildewy smell to it. We had two rooms and both rooms had lights that didn't work, and awful yellow florescent lighting for the bathroom mirror not good for getting ready. The staff was pleasant. We did not have the breakfast as there was an awesome cafe in the parking lot.

• Stayed July 2014
UpN0rthGirl, Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Ignace, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
jenmor,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations. If there is anything I can do please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Assistant Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Poor customer service. Staff lied to me about the room being refundable. I subsequently cancelled and was still charged for the room. They hid behind corporate policy in order to pocket my money. They don't seem to understand that they are in the hospitality business. there are plenty of other choices and this won't be mine

Stayed July 2014
UpN0rthGirl, Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Ignace, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Geoffrey S,

I am sorry that you are upset about the cancellation policy for your reservation. Most of our rooms are refundable up until three days prior to arrival at 3pm. The exceptions are Advance Purchase Reservations (also known as the Book Now and Save Program) and Smart Saver rates. The Advance Purchase and Smart Saver rooms are only available online as you must agree to the cancellation policy before booking those types of reservations.

As always if you ever have questions about a reservation when booking the hotel staff is always available to explain a policy or help you book.

Thank you for your feedback.

Been to Holiday Inn Express St. Ignace? Share your experiences!