“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn

Save Saved
You added Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn to your Saves list
Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1067 North State St. / I-75, Saint Ignace, MI 49781 (Formerly Days Inn & Suites Saint Ignace Lakefront)   |
Special Price
20% off advance purchase
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Saint Ignace
White Lake, Michigan
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed two days August of 14. Based on other reviews we found the hotel as expected, clean and in good, not great, mechanical shape. Location is hard to beat, staff excellent. Continental breakfast is pretty extensive, but just average. We do not choose hotels based on free food. BH fit our needs very well, great staff. Kid made use of the pool and enjoyed it Will definitely come back if our travels take us back to this area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Hi, Rob! Thanks for joining us during your trip to St. Ignace! It sounds like the whole family had a fun time around the lake, which is great. The next time you head our way, we'd love to welcome you back in!

Howard Cole, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I'll give you the good, the bad, and the little bit ugly about Bavarian Haus.

Things that I liked: 1) The staff was helpful and informative about things and gave good pointers about the area. 2) We found a coupon and it made the price very nice for our stay. 3) We were on the first floor and enjoyed the small patio and lake view it provided. Sunrise was wonderful. 4) The room was quiet. Although it was the week after Labor Day and it appears St. Ignace and Mackinaw City shut down after Labor Day. Very few guests were at the Lakefront Inn when we were there. 5) The ice machine worked perfectly. You have no idea how important that is until you're at a hotel with a broken ice machine. 6) The jacuzzi felt very nice after a long day of tourist stuff. The indoor pool looked quite inviting as well. 7) The breakfast area on the 2nd floor has a small outdoor deck to overlooking Lake Huron.

Things I didn't like: 1) The layout of the Bavarian Haus is very disjointed. Go up one set of stairs to get to the breakfast area, down these stairs to get to the pool and front desk, up these stairs to get somewhere else. It felt like I was touring a Navy aircraft carrier with green carpet. 2) Unless you really need to use the elevator, don't it's slow. I always beat the elevator by using the stairs. Besides a little cardio is good for you. 3) The breakfast food is nothing to write home about. At best it was okay. The sausage and gravy was just okay, and the sausage patties were overcooked. the fruit was good. The coffee wasn't good at all and they only had powdered creamer that didn't improve the coffee at all. A higher quality coffee and those little 3/4 inch tall containers of real creamer would have improved it a half circle in my review. A little thing I know, but a good breakfast really makes a good start to a day.

The ugly: It didn't matter to me but I should note the decor looks like something out of the late 1980s/early 90s. Everything is clean and serviceable, but don't expect it to look like a brand new facility. If that is important to you, then you'll be disappointed.

My girlfriend and I decided we would stay here again as overall we did like the Bavarian Haus, especially if we had a coupon like last time. I just hope there's some improvement with the breakfast and coffee.

Room Tip: First floor rooms on the lakeside have a outside door leading to a small patio with 2 chairs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to leave your detailed feedback, Brian. I'm sorry to hear that a couple of aspects of your stay weren't stellar, though. We're proud that we've been welcoming guests in for nearly 30 years, but of course we always want to keep up with renovations. If there's anything we can do to make you more comfortable, don't hesitate to let us know. We'd be happy to take care of you!

I hope you had a wonderful time around the lake and exploring the area. The next time you visit St. Ignace, we'd love to welcome you in.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very clean. The location on the water is great. Breakfast was OK. What makes this place great is the staff! They gave us great recommendations on where to eat and what to do in the UP. Stuff we hadn't considered doing, they recommended and we really like it. Pool area is also nice.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! There's nothing we love more than this beautiful area, so it's our pleasure to help you find the best places to visit and explore. We hope to see you during your next family vacation!

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Our family vacation was planned in January so we had 7 months of anticipation. We planned to stay 3 nights in St. Ignace then drive to Sault Ste Marie, Canada for 3 nights. My wife and 2 boys drove the mini van and I rode my Goldwing. My wife and boys arrived at Bavarian Haus before me and got us checked in. When I arrived I found the room to be spacious for a 2 queen room. It was clean, the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom area was good sized as well. The hotel itself seemed to be generally well maintained. We had a balcony room on the third floor with a nice view of Lake Huron. The lakefront yard had areas for sitting and enjoying the lake breezes and games of Frisbee golf and bean bag toss which lead to tournaments! The swimming pool was a nice size and the boys spent hours playing there. The breakfasts were adequate and consisted of sausage patties, hard boiled eggs, bagels and cream cheese which we made into "McEggle Bagels". There was also English muffins, PG & J, apple juice and orange juice, cereal, Danishes and some fruit. The nicest thing for me was that when I went to my bike in the morning I found a towel on my seat to wipe off the dew that had settled over night. That's royal service that puts Bavarian Haus on my list of hotels to return to.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view choose a 3rd floor room. If you have kids that need to run take a fi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Sounds like you guys had one fun family vacation! Thanks for taking the time to share your great details with us. Waking up to those beautiful lake views is the perfect way to start your day, right? It's wonderful that you took advantage of all the fun to be had by the water. We hope to see you next summer for another relaxing getaway!

Take care,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I had booked a room at America's Best Value Inn through Orbitz.com the day before our trip. When I arrived there, our reservation could not be found, and I got a bit worried. Apparently the Bavarian is a partner of America's Best, and so the receptionist called over. Seconds later, she informed me that our room had been upgraded to a Lake View room with the Bavarian across the street due to overbooking.

While slightly outdated in decor as well as the building itself, the room itself was clean and fresh, and the view was beautiful. We had everything we needed, and while it is supposed to be their busiest time of the season, the hotel was not noisy at all. We had a wonderful hot breakfast with various options the next morning, and also enjoyed the nice, warm heated pool.

The staff was pleasant and offered great suggestions for food at dinner time. Overall, our stay was relaxing and fun.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, Raquel! You can't beat waking up each morning to those beautiful lake views, right? It sounds like you had a blast taking in the sights and sounds of Lake Huron. The next time you make the trip to our area, we'd love to have you back in!

Take care,
Port Washington, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had such a pleasant stay. The staff was very welcoming when we arrived and helpful as to where to dine, things going on in the area and such. The room was huge and extremely clean. (Thanks Susan) The free breakfast bar had such a variety, you didn't have to eat the same thing twice. Our balcony with a beautiful view was so relaxing. We were able to watch local fireworks from the parking lot and avoid downtown traffic congestion. What a treat! We will definitely be back. The only other comment I would make is to inconsiderate adults who apparently can't read. The notice not to feed the seagulls is there for a reason. If people would heed the request, it would make everyone's stay more pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
It's fantastic to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us! We always want our guests to have a truly memorable experience, and it sounds like from our friendly service to the incredible fireworks, your visit was top notch. Thanks for sharing your experience with us here, and we hope you'll come back and visit us again soon!

All the best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Spent three nights in a walkout suite. My boys loved it! Breakfast buffet was wonderful as well. The front desk staff was super friendly and gave us great ideas on local attractions. The manager Jason was a great guy and very helpful. Great location, great price, great people! I highly recommend the Bavarian Haus.

Stayed July 2014
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thanks for the wonderful review, Wendy! So glad you and your boys enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the recommendation and hope that you'll stay with us again in the future!

Howard Cole, Owner

Been to Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn? Share your experiences!