I’m unsure how this hotel has received such rave reviews, other than the fact that people are too busy enjoying the beautiful view from their room to notice what this hotel is lacking. Although seemingly clean, the hotel’s common areas and rooms are VERY dated. Like at least 20+ years past a renovation. I’m in no way a hotel snob, but this place is borderline creepy it’s so old. Our room also had a musty smell and our air conditioning unit was not functioning properly for most of our stay. Although on the lowest possible temp, we couldn’t get the unit to run more than for a few minutes at a time and never quite cooled our room down as we wanted. The walls/floors are paper thin. The ceiling creaked with every step the people above us made and you could hear every footstep. We also had trouble getting any kind of acceptable wifi connection speed for our laptop, so the internet was useless for just about all of our stay. The continental breakfast was acceptable, although nothing spectacular. They had biscuits with gravy and some sausage patties in crockpots, then your usual cold cereal, juice, muffins, etc. They do have an onsite workout room, but the room itself is very tiny. I don’t see how more than 2 people could be working out in the room together without it being uncomfortable. The game room consisted of a foosball table and a few ancient video games from the early 80’s.
Now for the good aspects of this hotel; the staff was always pleasant and nice and like I mentioned before, the view from the balcony was awesome. The grounds around the water also seemed nice with chairs and a couple fire pits if you wanted to use them. Although we didn’t use it, the pool and hot tub area did look nice and there were always a ton of families enjoying that area. This hotel is also in a good location and just a few blocks away from the ferries to Mackinaw and a short drive to downtown where the restaurants and shops are.
I cannot recommend this hotel unless you don’t mind staying in extremely outdated conditions and are just looking for a cheap place to stay. I’d also like to point out that our room looks nothing like the pictures shown in the virtual tour on this site. Based on those pictures, looks like some rooms might have been renovated in the 80’s, but they missed our room. I wasn’t expecting a 5 star hotel, but this place has seen better days. I feel like the reviews on this site and others are very misleading for this hotel. There are so many other hotels located right on the water down the street that it’s not necessary to book here if you are just looking for a room with a good view.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you’re planning a trip to Northern Michigan, come stay with us! Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn is open year-round, making us your headquarters for easy access to all local attractions in the Mackinac Straits area. With our spacious rooms, great service and wide array of amenities, you’ll surely enjoy your stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, EasyToBook, Odigeo and Hotwire so you can book your Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn And Suites Saint Ignace Lakefront
- Days Inn & Suites Saint Ignace Lakefront Hotel Saint Ignace
- Days Inn Saint Ignace
- Saint Ignace Days Inn