“pet friendly” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Balsams Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Ignace
Balsams Resort
You added Balsams Resort to your Saves list
1464 W US 2, Saint Ignace, MI 49781   |
brownstown
“pet friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

overall was not bad to stay at
not problem with us ( spose/child/sister-in-law-/me & dog) with our standard poodle
were in cabin one nearest to office and beach

the beach go 1/2 mile walk to from cabin one across 4 lane road very busy at times
loved beach area when we were there- very shallow water levels good for our son
our dog loves water- area kept very clean- did'nt have worry any junk or doggie do

draw backs

make sure bringe heavy duty flashlight for night-walking dog before bed with little flashlight did not do the job
heav dutly bug repellent- got bitten by everything with regular OFF

one item in cabin brother my husband and i NO SMOKE DETECTORS in th cabin
have fire existger in kitchen area

not big hot water tank for showers so space them out

is a very quite area- and the resort was booked soild when we were there
major point for us- since our son is austic and noise upsets him
enough space also no tripping over the other guest even out walking the dog

staff was friendly except for one person where m sister had ask for extra towels
could tell us were to go and office full all kinds of VHS for the cabins and games

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

When I think of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (having grown up in the Detroit area in the 60's and 70's) I picture strip motels, simple lodgings, and down home hospitality. On our visit to the Balsams Resort last summer, I found all of this and more, including a cozy beach with a walkout shore that allowed my five year old and ten year old a wading pool the size of a few football fields.

The Balsams motel is not the Ritz Carleton, but the room we stayed in was spacious. My daughter is asthmatic, and we really have to watch out for dust mites and other triggers. When I mentioned this to the owner over the phone she immediately guaranteed us we would have a room with a freshly laid wooden floor. It gleamed. Though dated (expected from a 1950's era strip motel) the room was quite clean and comfortable, and the mattress quite new (I always check because of my girl.) We didn't book the place expecting to spend all of our time in our room - so much to see and do in the area. It was what we expected and not expensive at all.

We did have to cross US 2 to get to the private beach, but when we waited for traffic to clear, the cross was easy. Upon check in, the owner advised us to cross only when no vehicles were visible. Yes we had to wait a little some of the times, but the beach and the views at sunset were well worth it. The kids had an absolute blast in the creek that feeds into the lake. They also loved exploring the various stages of monarch larva development found on the milkweed plants which abounded on the "dunes" just off the shore.

The owners had fires on the beach each evening and were most friendly. My kids looked forward to the campfires every evening we were around.

• Liked — just like da UP should be
  • Disliked — US 2
Jackson Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

The Balsams has a sign out front that says "Est 1927" and I believe it. The grounds are filled with lovely older trees, especially evergreens. The cabins are older, and I have stayed in them, but I prefer one of the motel rooms, especially the ones with wood floors. This is a real place run by real people, not a fancy schmancy perfect place where the people who run it make you feel uncomfortable for being who you are. My family stays at the Balsam's for a week every year (since 2001), and we wouldn't miss our week there for anything. It is close to the ferries to Mackinac Island, there are trails on the property to hike, the beach is sweet and small and private, the water is shallow for a long way out so little kids are safe, the creek is fun for crayfish hunting, there is a volleyball net on the beach and we make a campfire on the beach every night and watch the stars and occasionally the Northern Lights or the international space station make an appearance. The sunsets are golden, the mosquitos are fierce, and night swims out far enough to see the Mackinac Bridge are another annual event. There is a public beach about 6-8 miles to the West down Rt 2 with great sand dunes and roaring surf on windy days. In short, we just love the Balsams, and have made many happy family memories there.

• Liked — Relaxed atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Mosquitos come out after dark - be ready.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

we had a great old fashioned time at the Balsams. WE played games and had campfires and really enjoyed the rustic feel of the place. It is so relaxing and Lake Michigan is so clean.

• Liked — comfy beds and rooms
  • Disliked — highway noise--aren't all motels on highways
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

We booked a cabin at this resort for our family vacation based on how nice the place looked on their web site. My family was very excited about the idea of staying at a cabin for our vacation. Needless to say, when we got to the Balsam Resort we took one look at the cabin and left without staying. When we entered the "lobby" upon arriving the room was full of food and half eaten bowls of cereal were on the table. A dog was also sniffing around. I knew immediatily I would not be styaing here. We did have the receptionist show us the cabin before we turned and left and we were deeply disappointed by it. It was awful! I was assured when I made the reservation that the cabin slept six and would work well for my family of six. The inside of the cabin was so small there is no way my family would of even been able to fit in the cabin yet alone our suitcases. I was told that there was two pullout sofas but wasn't told that if one was pulled out there wasn't enough room for the other one to be opened. I was also told that they had a beach but was not told you had to cross a four lane highway to get to it.

I would not recommend this place to anyone. Upon booking the room they ask for you to pay half of the cost up front so I lost my deposit which I was very upset about. Fortunately for us when we left we were able to get a beautiful, spacious hotel room at the Days Inn in St. Ignace.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
troy, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Found them on the internet, and stayed for 2 nights. First night in the hotel. All the hotel rooms face lake Superior, and gives you a good view. Walk 3 minutes to the private beach where you can build a fire with the wood provided.

The cabins are back in the lot, and more than half are on a small "babbling" brook. Very comforting to listen to. Most of the cabins are true log cabins, with little cracks in the chinking which I expect from a real log cabin. One can complain about the cracks - but it just add to the rustic appeal of the cabin. The cabins vary in dimention, but ours had two bedroom, which can comfortably sleep 4 (2 to each room), and two more on the futon, if you desired.

It is convenient, 4 miles from St Ignace, McD, BurgerK, and groceries.

Disadvantages? It is close enough from highway 2 that you can hear the trucks go by (unless you were in cabins further in the woods).

I find the hotel room cutely decorated, leaning on the rustic side. The local made tables, shelves, etc. add to the cozy appearance. The bathroom was tiled, and the tub wall was relined, and clean.

The hideaway bed provided for my son was too old and decrepit. The foam has broken down, and you can feel the springs when you lay on it. I forgot to tell the owner about it.....So inquire if you were to use the roll away bed.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

We arrived and Sue, one of the owners, showed us to cabin number 9 - we trailed behind her in our van while she rode her bicycle. The setting is beautiful, because it is in the woods with the Moran River (which is a shallow creek with small waterfalls) flowing past. We weren't able to really enjoy the surroundings for more than a couple minutes because the mosquitoes were very fierce, but with "Deep Woods Off" bug spray, they stayed at bay.
Anyhow, once we got out of the van, Sue gave us a very disgusting pillow and a very old patchwork quilt. I hope she washed the quilt and the rest of the blankets before we arrived, but I really doubt it. The pillow was heavily stained and actually all the pillows in the cabin were like that. Additionally, when I covered them with pillowcases and tried to lay my head on them, they squished flat, like a pancake. The morning after the first night, I had to take an Advil and a Tylenol to make the pain in my neck and shoulders go away.
On to the bathroom. The bathroom was an addition to the back of the cabin, but they kept the same exterior back door and turned it into the bathroom door. This door did not shut properly (much too tight on the top half and a gap on the bottom half). That meant it was a loud door! It also had a window with a curtain that would open and close; this was weird and the opposite of private: if someone (like your little child) was in the main living area facing the bathroom and pushed opened the window, there was no way for the person in the bathroom to pull it back closed. The door also did not have a lock. The toilet moved with a thud when I sat on it (I'm not heavy - I weigh 106 pounds). Also, the toilet was right next to the door, and it gave the effect of having basically no privacy at all, since the dining table and pretty much all the chairs for people to sit on were just outside that bathroom door. The hot water heater (located in the bathroom behind a curtain) was a good one, though; we never ran out of hot water.
The first night we were there was only 61 degrees, and the firewood they provided seemed to be very green, so we weren't able to get a fire started. The wall-mounted gas furnace broke while we were eating dinner at Java Joe's, and one of the owners came by to attempt to fix it. He failed. He brought a small portable heater instead. When he did fix it the next day, he also smashed a fly on the dining room table with a fly swatter and did not clean it up. I saw it when we came home from Mackinac Island, and the day after that, when I had to ask them to fix the refrigerator which also did not work, I asked them about the fly. He said he didn't kill the fly, and Sue asked me if my daughters or husband could have possibly killed it. No, we did not. So I was really disgusted that they would leave a smashed bug on the dining table and then lie about it. Quite revolting.
The cabin was really dirty; there were cobwebs in all the corners and a lot of dust, especially in the bedroom.
The bedroom doesn't even have a door, but only a curtain that extends across the entryway. There were two lamps on one side of the bedroom, but none on the other, and since the TV (which didn't receive a signal anyway) was in the living area in which my daughters were sleeping (on the pull-out sofa), my husband and I just read books. But it was dark on my side of the bedroom, so I moved a lamp to my side. I hope they didn't mind.
The two skylights were a nice touch, but they were so dirty and had odd worm-like tree droppings on them... I didn't think they added any aesthetic value to the cabin.
The steps to get to the porch are very rustic; they are concrete and stone, but they are the opposite of level, so watch your step.
I saw half a watermelon that a prior guest had tossed off the porch - it landed about twenty feet away from the porch in the woods. Nobody bothered to clean it up before we arrived.
There is one small blue dresser in the living area (it has the TV on top of it) that the owners had partially filled with blankets and assorted things, so we had to empty that stuff out to put our clothes in. We put most of the suitcases back into the van, because there was no room for them in the cabin.
The male owner that came out to fix the furnace (he never told me his name) told us we would be monetarily compensated for the lack of heat, but he didn't do anything, and there was nobody to ask about that, because check-out is at 10am, and we checked out at 9:30am on Sunday. They were at church, so we left the key on the desk. I hope he asked forgiveness from God for lying to me about the smashed bug. Didn't Jesus say to love your neighbor as yourself? I think lying to someone's face means you don't like them very much. The Bible also says to forgive, so I forgive him.
That's it. I don't recommend this hovel. It's horrible.

• Liked — I liked the beautiful scenery the best.
  • Disliked — I hated the smashed bug on the dining table.
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Balsams Resort? Share your experiences!