“Nice Location/Beach/Service, OK Cabin” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Balsams Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Ignace
Balsams Resort
You added Balsams Resort to your Saves list
1464 W US 2, Saint Ignace, MI 49781   |
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice Location/Beach/Service, OK Cabin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed in Cabin 8 (1 br & futon in living room). Liked the price, flexibility (could book two nights, not tied to a whole week), staff responsiveness, and location. Cabin was old, but serviceable; loved being nestled in the cedars. Some utensils, but not exhaustive supply, in kitchen (could use a bottle opener and tongs). Had to ask staff for napkins and light bulbs. Screens were mostly intact and, thankfully, enough fans were provided to circulate air. Wouldn't want to rely on them during the hottest days of summer, though.

Fire pit with chairs (and old, somewhat wobbly picnic table) and charcoal grill made it nice sitting next to the small creek. Kitchen was small but had all the major appliances. Fun and funky old concrete sculptures and several walking trails; won't reveal which trail leads to a small, old dump.

We liked the proximity to downtown St. Ignace but distance away from the densest tourist traps. The location provided a better-than-expected access to walk/jog on Pointe LaBarbe Road.

It was nice having the sand beach within walking distance, and the beach items available-- chairs, volleyball, buckets/shovels/boogie boards, etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Came here with my grandson after much research. We were looking for the log cabin in woods experience close to a sandy beach. At one time this was a family resort but after our experience I question that term. One of the cabins was rented to a group of loud, drunken, lewd college young people. That ruined the experience for us and I am sure many of the folks in the resort. One of the owners on site was nice, but we will not be back.

• Stayed August 2012
Flat Rock, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The staff is friendly. The location was great. The price was reasonable. Scenery was beautiful. The cabin seemed cute. But then we were in it and we saw a mouse. The cabin is buried in the forest so creatures happen. We tried dealing with it, but all you could hear throughout the night was the mice running about trying to get into things. We drove over 6 hours to get to this cabin, to get no sleep. It was a disappointment. We ended up leaving in the middle of the night for a hotel. It definitely put a damper on our vacation. The staff apologized and offered a full refund. I am sure that they will be working on the mouse problem for future guests, however, i don't think i would personally ever return...or rent a cabin with a kitchen again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Battle Creek, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Each year my husband and I come to Saint Ignace in Michigan. Sometimes we bring our kids and sometimes we don't. This year (2012) will be our 10th year coming up and our 2nd year at the Balsams Resort.
I WILL NEVER STAY ANYWHERE ELSE AGAIN! Our experience was absolutely wonderful. We loved everything about it. I have NOTHING bad to say about the place. It was very clean very friendly. It was exactly as the website portrayed and exactly what we were looking for.
If you are looking for a place to stay that is quieter and much more private than a Hotel room This Is The Place!
We look forward to coming back in August 2012. We will be staying in a different cabin and bringing our 2 boys as well as our 2 dogs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have always wanted to stay here with their own beach access. But it was always full. Loved the beach. Shallow water for a long disntace. The water is warm. The beach is in a cove and so shallow. We were here for 4 nights and we very happy with our stay. We stayed in room 5 with our saint bernard. The room was very clean , the only thing I could say is there was a cobweb on ceiling. But when we went outside to our car the next morning there were several cobwebs spun overnight on the back window. In the several nights there I watched the owners clean the cobwebs off windows in empty rooms so I believe they do clean them down. Personally it wasn't a issue for me , but could be for others as in previous reviews. Our room had a queen and double bed . Microwave, mini fridge, small coffee pot, table and chairs, wireless internet.There isn't air conditioning and was a bit uncomfortable as ot was 90-95 degrees and humid during our stay. Normally there would be a nice breeze and I think it would be more comfortable at night.The owners and their daughter were overly friendly and made sure we got everything we needed. It is nice to have customer service in todays society. The other inconvience is crossing over US 2 to get to the beach, sometimes we would drive our car over when taking all the beach gear . That was alot better. We never had to waint to long to cross on foot. I wouldn't recommend children crossing alone. I would recommend to others and plan on going back again. They have great rates at $55 a weeknight and are pet friendly. I have spent alont more per night on lodging and had alot worse results.

Room Tip: Great place to get the original pasties is Letho's down the road 3 miles to the west.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Absolutely loved it!! Hated to leave.
The room, furnishings, size, table and even the walls were all very nice and made my stay very comfortable and relaxing. Crossing the street to get to the beach was easier than walking through my local WalMart parking lot. The beach is also very nice, and the motel's location is excellent for site seeing. Driving up to Sault Ste. Marie wasn't bad at all. I will definitely stay there again if I have another opportunity to vacation in MI (wish it wasn't so far from FL!) One last important thing: the proprieters' were very helpful and friendly too! Oh yeah---AND- the Rates are VERY Good!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Suamico, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We were really looking forward to spending a vacation that was a step up from camping yet not as luxurious as a hotel and thought the cabins at The Balsams would be the perfect ticket. Well, the cabin was not very clean (which we expected as we read the reviews posted here) and the beds were a little uncomfortable. However, the linens were very clean, the hosts were very nice and helpful, and there is a passable bathroom in the cabin. It's a very small bathroom but a step up from the bathrooms at most campgrounds. The beach is beautiful and very very shallow (so nice and warm) and you can walk out far enough to see the bridge which was cool. Now, by the 2nd day were were really loving the cabin even though it had some negatives (oh, you can hear the constant traffic on Hwy. 2 also) but then we were visited by a pair of mice in the kitchen on the 3 night. One was in the toaster and the other one was INSIDE the loaf of bread. We got rid of the bread mouse and after shaking the toaster the 2nd mouse escaped down a hole behing the kitchen counter. I went to talk to the hosts about it and they were not sympathetic at all and suggested that we take some mouse traps back to our cabin as "they've had problems with mice in cabins 1 and 4 lately". Also, "we are in their environment and live in their habitat so what can you expect?" I quite firmly told them I did not expect mice in my cabin and since I live in a house in the woods in Wisconsin, and have made it mouse free by plugging all the holes, I had expected the same in the cabin. He explained that the cabins were 100 years old and that it is impossible to plug all the holes. Needless to say, we weren't impressed. We left the following day (a day earlier than planned) and was able to at least get a one night refund. We then stayed at the Quality Inn right on the lake in downtown St. Ignace and enjoyed a clean, comfortable room with a pool and a view on the lake and were quite glad to be out of the cabins. So, just be aware that these are REALLY rustic cabins and that the hosts don't actually own the place...it's owned by a church in another city and parishoners apparently volunteer to host the place during certain times. Other than the mouse incident, they really were lovely people. If it weren't for the wonderful beach and the clean linens, I would have only given this one star.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Balsams Resort? Share your experiences!