“Nice Mom and Pops Motel Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Balsams Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Ignace
Balsams Resort
1464 W US 2, Saint Ignace, MI 49781   |
michigan
“Nice Mom and Pops Motel Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have always wanted to stay here with their own beach access. But it was always full. Loved the beach. Shallow water for a long disntace. The water is warm. The beach is in a cove and so shallow. We were here for 4 nights and we very happy with our stay. We stayed in room 5 with our saint bernard. The room was very clean , the only thing I could say is there was a cobweb on ceiling. But when we went outside to our car the next morning there were several cobwebs spun overnight on the back window. In the several nights there I watched the owners clean the cobwebs off windows in empty rooms so I believe they do clean them down. Personally it wasn't a issue for me , but could be for others as in previous reviews. Our room had a queen and double bed . Microwave, mini fridge, small coffee pot, table and chairs, wireless internet.There isn't air conditioning and was a bit uncomfortable as ot was 90-95 degrees and humid during our stay. Normally there would be a nice breeze and I think it would be more comfortable at night.The owners and their daughter were overly friendly and made sure we got everything we needed. It is nice to have customer service in todays society. The other inconvience is crossing over US 2 to get to the beach, sometimes we would drive our car over when taking all the beach gear . That was alot better. We never had to waint to long to cross on foot. I wouldn't recommend children crossing alone. I would recommend to others and plan on going back again. They have great rates at $55 a weeknight and are pet friendly. I have spent alont more per night on lodging and had alot worse results.

Room Tip: Great place to get the original pasties is Letho's down the road 3 miles to the west.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Absolutely loved it!! Hated to leave.
The room, furnishings, size, table and even the walls were all very nice and made my stay very comfortable and relaxing. Crossing the street to get to the beach was easier than walking through my local WalMart parking lot. The beach is also very nice, and the motel's location is excellent for site seeing. Driving up to Sault Ste. Marie wasn't bad at all. I will definitely stay there again if I have another opportunity to vacation in MI (wish it wasn't so far from FL!) One last important thing: the proprieters' were very helpful and friendly too! Oh yeah---AND- the Rates are VERY Good!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Suamico, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We were really looking forward to spending a vacation that was a step up from camping yet not as luxurious as a hotel and thought the cabins at The Balsams would be the perfect ticket. Well, the cabin was not very clean (which we expected as we read the reviews posted here) and the beds were a little uncomfortable. However, the linens were very clean, the hosts were very nice and helpful, and there is a passable bathroom in the cabin. It's a very small bathroom but a step up from the bathrooms at most campgrounds. The beach is beautiful and very very shallow (so nice and warm) and you can walk out far enough to see the bridge which was cool. Now, by the 2nd day were were really loving the cabin even though it had some negatives (oh, you can hear the constant traffic on Hwy. 2 also) but then we were visited by a pair of mice in the kitchen on the 3 night. One was in the toaster and the other one was INSIDE the loaf of bread. We got rid of the bread mouse and after shaking the toaster the 2nd mouse escaped down a hole behing the kitchen counter. I went to talk to the hosts about it and they were not sympathetic at all and suggested that we take some mouse traps back to our cabin as "they've had problems with mice in cabins 1 and 4 lately". Also, "we are in their environment and live in their habitat so what can you expect?" I quite firmly told them I did not expect mice in my cabin and since I live in a house in the woods in Wisconsin, and have made it mouse free by plugging all the holes, I had expected the same in the cabin. He explained that the cabins were 100 years old and that it is impossible to plug all the holes. Needless to say, we weren't impressed. We left the following day (a day earlier than planned) and was able to at least get a one night refund. We then stayed at the Quality Inn right on the lake in downtown St. Ignace and enjoyed a clean, comfortable room with a pool and a view on the lake and were quite glad to be out of the cabins. So, just be aware that these are REALLY rustic cabins and that the hosts don't actually own the place...it's owned by a church in another city and parishoners apparently volunteer to host the place during certain times. Other than the mouse incident, they really were lovely people. If it weren't for the wonderful beach and the clean linens, I would have only given this one star.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We booked the same cabin we had on our honeymoon 43 years ago...yikes! We thought it would be fun to stay there for the Mackinac Bridge walk (first time walkers). I started to get cold feet on the drive there, hoping there had been considerable refurbishing done since 1968. It was very pleasant. The cabin was clean, the bed comfortable and the shower great - key items. It is hard to rate it more than average, however, because it is rustic. Still, it was very comfortable and the staff was great. It seemed a little pricey for what it offered, but that could have been because it was Labor Day weekend. It is a real "up north" spot.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Jackson Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We came back to the Balsams this summer and booked motel room 6 (it has a wood floor). This time we hiked in the national forest about 2 miles to the west, swam at the public beach about 8 miles west, went to Mackinac Island for a day trip, biked around the island, ate at a couple of local restaurants, and hung around on the Balsam's beach. There were four of us in the motel room, the bedding and curtains were clean, and we were able to get more towels when needed from the "Internet Cafe" / supply room. We all had computers (I know, we're weird) and were able to keep up with the rest of the world when we wanted to using the motel wi-fi.

Had a great time at the Balsams, and hope to visit again next year. We love to swim in Lake Michigan - it's like the ocean, only really clear, cold, and clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Rockford, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We recently spent a night at The Balsams and had a wonderful time. We had just come from 3 days of wilderness camping so the rustic log cabin that we rented seemed quite luxurious in comparison. The room was very clean, fresh linens, plenty of towels and pillows for the 5 of us. The kitchen was suitably stocked for our needs. We enjoyed hiking the trails and spending time on the beach. We took their kayak out for a ride around the point to get a really good view of the Mackinac Bridge. As was mentioned in several other posts, the beach is across the street. We had to wait 30 seconds or so for an opening to cross the road, but that wasn't a big problem for us. Later that night we borrowed a movie from the office and watched it to help the kids wind down.

This isn't a Ritz Carlton, but if you're looking for a cozy log cabin in the woods with several nice amenities then this would be a good choice for you.

Room Tip: I'd prefer to stay in one of the log cabins rather than the hotel rooms up front.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
belding
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

My husband and I along with my teenage daughter, and my two dogs stayed in cabin 1 and had a wonderful time. We are not real big camping people. The cute little cabin was just the right amount of "roughing It" for us. We found the cabin to be cozy and clean. We were surprised to find that the motel and the cabins were booked because it was so quiet and peaceful. Alot of little details were thought of by Balsam's, like dish towels, a clothes line, a basket for picnics, brochures for area attractions, etc. We were grateful to find a place our dogs were welcome. The beach was clean and we had it to ourselves for sometime. They provided beach chairs. Just bring your cooler and some towels. The fans in the cabin kept it very comfortable even on a warm day. Comfy chairs and a fire pit, and a grill, anything you may need was provided. We enjoyed Castle Rock after seeing a brochure in our cabin as well as a wonderful mexican restraunt called Jose Cantina which also allowed us to dine on their deck with our pups. Also the local paper in the cabin pointed us to a place filled with fudge and other yummy things. Thank you Balsams. We hope to see you again. The Zachow Family

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Balsams Resort? Share your experiences!