We recently returned from a stay at Balsams Resort in St. Ignace. We stayed in Cabin #6. We chose this cabin based upon the photos (what few there are) on the website + the amenities it had for the size of our little family. However, the pictures are NOT entirely accurate now. My guess is they're old photos from when cabins were originally built. So, the photos you see may not be what you get entirely, but are semi-accurate. For example, in Cabin #6 the photos show a patterned carpeting, but when we got there it was just (very uneven) wooden floors (with a nail head or two poking up - watch little ones' feet!), refridgerator in different place (not a big deal), porch not NEARLY as tidy and porch furniture not as nice quality as shown.
- The location
- Kitchen decently stocked with utencils & appliances working well
- Beds pretty comfortable & linens clean
- Cozy except for gross cob webs in every corner (see comment below)
- Friendly & helpful staff
- Cabins seem shabbily built (floor very uneven, cabins held up by cinder blocks, obvious replacement of roof planks - possibly from major leakage?), drawers in kitchen very sticky and hard to open.
- VERY cob-webby! You'd think for $110/night they would have broomed out the cob webs that are all OVER the cabin! Yuck!
- Very dusty & generally unclean feeling (except bedding, surprisingly)
- Very dim lighting in bedrooms - hard to see & get around on uneven floors = lots of stubbed toes & banged knees
- Sink in bathroom leaked all over my feet when I turned the water on too high - not sure what is up with that
- TV provided gets NO channels - only for use with a VHS player provided (they offer a small selection of VHS tapes in their office). This is a little hard with small children who get bored easily with sitting around the fire w/ Mom & Dad.
- Wood selection for firepits is a messy pile next to Cabin #6 and wood is constantly wet from rain - takes a long time to get fires going
- Playground is OK, but not much - playset looks very unstable & rotted (wood)
- Had major T-storm & rain one night of our stay and woke up to a couple leaks on the floor, but nothing too major. Thankfully nothing on the beds - just in main dining area & on hard floor.
- Decor is meant to be cozy, I guess, but definitely VERY outdated. Futon mattress was very faded & dirty looking.
Overall, I give the place a grade of: D. I think the family that runs it are very nice, good-hearted & helpful & it seems they are trying their best, BUT, the place is not worth the money, I'm sorry to say! We enjoyed it for what it was - a cabin in the woods & it's obviously not meant to be a hotel, but the overall uncleanliness of the interior is what turned us off the most. A little more housekeeping & deeper cleaning would go a LONG way. Should also update photos to more accurately represent what customers are getting. Was a pretty disappointing stay...but maybe the other cabins are better? :(
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.